Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Forum Wish Lists

Posts on how to use the Forum Features, Posting Files, Setting Time Zones, Displays Styles etc. Got a tip for fellow members? Post it here. Want a Feature and cannot find? Ask here!

Forum Wish Lists

PostPosted by Hoovie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:48 pm

Hi,

if you think of a feature that you would like to see, please post it here!

I'm not going to promise it will happen, but at least we can look into it and report back :ugeek:

Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

Re: Forum Wish Lists

PostPosted by jase hutch » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:59 pm

I'm struggling to use my Rav picture as it's got too many pixels ! It's only a three door ffs !!!
jase hutch
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.2. 3dr
Year: 2004
Trim Level: XT3
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ
Year: 2011
Trim: Auto

PostPosted by Bothwell_buyer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:39 am

Jase - the forum is set up to accept 5 doors - try adding another door or two! Or perhaps we could have separate sections for petrol and non-petrol.... and then 5 door or 3 door.... and then silver or non-silver ?
Bothwell_buyer
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 3 door
Year: 1994
Fuel Type: Petrol turbo
Other Vehicle: Another RAV4
Year: 1994
Trim: 3 door
Fuel Type: Petrol turbo

PostPosted by Tech01 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:47 am

Hi Jase, and welcome!

Take a look to see how big your original picture is (so many pixels x so many pixels), and if it's, say, twice as big as you're allowed, then reduce it in size by 50%, and all should be ok.

Easiest done by opening up the original pic in Paint (right click on pic; and go Open With... Paint). In Paint, go for Home > Reduce Size. Hit 'pixels', and specify the number of pixels you want (are allowed), or set the % reduction if you prefer. SAVE the result as xxxxxx.jpg. Load this item up as your Avatar. Paint also allows you to flip pictures (LtoR etc) if you need to.

Chris
Chris

2003 RAV4 D4D 2.0 5dr LHD Silver
1996 Citroen XM 2.5TD berlina Exclusive
Tech01

Location: ex-Ealing, Surrey and W.Sussex. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain).
Primary Vehicle: (4.2) D4D 5dr
Year: 2003
Trim Level: Sol

PostPosted by Hoovie » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:51 am

I use Paint.net as it is 1) simple and 2) free :biggrin:

Using that, I opened my pic for the avatar and just went to resize option and selected "90" as the size (max allowed). then saved the pic, and uploaded as Avatar

HTH :thumbup:

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

PostPosted by Tech01 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:53 am

Wouldn't normally do this, but as Hoovie has specifically asked for Forum Wish Lists, I'll repost this here from yesterday's nearby thread. Comments welcome.
Chris

I think that Don's suggestion of a friendly-welcome section
"I've got a technical problem, please help"
is a good one, and this should be there - up front - to catch the attention of new visitors-members.

For regular contributors (and we've got lots of them here now), it is really helpful to have info, questions and answers easy to find - and that doesn't IMO mean having to wade through an ever-growing "one pot" volume of posts, where just everything that's ever been posted is there, sorted into nothing more than date order (rarely searched for), and a Topic Title chosen (sometimes a bit randomly) by the author.

If you try to do a Search on such a Big Pot volume, you have to wade through vast quantities of posts, and deal with all the results thrown up.

Far better, if your looking for something on Headlights, is to look in the Electrical section.
If you're going to write something about Wheels or DMFs, then put in under Wheels or Diesel engines.
If you're complaining about a dealer or workshop experience, put in under Professional Services.

There's no problem with finding/missing stuff in a short list of Technical sections. Up the top is the magic button "View new posts" - hit that, and everything new, wherever its been slotted, will come up for you. Try it.

It's right that we set out now to be a friendly and unbureaucratic Club, but we will only be a significant RAV4 Club on the world stage (along with R4W and maybe others) if we take the simple steps now to structure what will become a steady deluge of good posts into a real resource of wisdom and knowledge (and lots of fun) for anyone who wants to know everything about owning a RAV4.

I really do believe, that if we go for a One Pot mail-board (i.e. one without some essential Technical sections), we will become stuck at the level of "today's headlines", which was one of the real faults of the old site.

At a personal level, I also write regularly for the Citroen site Club-XM.co.uk, which operates exactly the same site "engine" that we do, and now has a simple list of around ten Technical spots (Diesel engines, Petrol engines, Wheels & Tyres, Self-Help, etc etc.) where posts can be written and found. It all works really well, and doesn't seem to put off newcomers.

I do agree, though, that we shouldn't go down the path of separate sections for 4.1, 4.2....4.4 etc. This needlessly splits our members, doesn't suit those who own more than one version, and discourages folk from reading about both newer (and older!) models. In any case, many of the issues raised run right across version boundaries.
Chris

2003 RAV4 D4D 2.0 5dr LHD Silver
1996 Citroen XM 2.5TD berlina Exclusive
Tech01

Location: ex-Ealing, Surrey and W.Sussex. Now living in Sayalonga (Malaga, Spain).
Primary Vehicle: (4.2) D4D 5dr
Year: 2003
Trim Level: Sol

PostPosted by Denshaw » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:59 am

jase hutch wrote:I'm struggling to use my Rav picture as it's got too many pixels ! It's only a three door ffs !!!

Jase…….Stand further away from the Rav so it looks smaller…..then take a photo……you're too close…….simples ! :smile:
Denshaw
Club Master
Club Master

PostPosted by Gus » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:18 am

Are we gonna run a area list of OBDC readers, useful in a emergency or you want to try before buying one?

Gus
Gus (aka :s_crazy :s_wacko )
Ravi 140bhp Diesel Avg Consumption 2009 - 2012 40.9MPG Ravii 150bhp Diesel Avg Consumption 2012 - 2015 39.7MPG
Mazda CX-3 2.0ltr Petrol Auto Image
Gus
'750 Club' Member
'750 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX-3
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sport Nav
Other Vehicle: Triumph America
Year: 2012
Trim: Cruiser

PostPosted by Paulus17 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:42 am

How about an hobbies section and photo section which can be of anything??
Paulus17
Club Master
Club Master

PostPosted by Hoovie » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:46 am

Gus wrote:Are we gonna run a area list of OBDC readers, useful in a emergency or you want to try before buying one?

Gus

Hi Gus, best way to do this is start a thread with this kind of suggestion and we we start to build a list can create a "sticky" post in the Workshop section :good:

Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to Forum How To's & Wish List