Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Aftermarket SatNav / DVD / BT carkit?

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Re: Aftermarket SatNav / DVD / BT carkit?

PostPosted by Nosegear » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:47 pm

bitman wrote:just clip that gps puck on the metal bar behind the radio / instrument panel works fine and no need to route the cables, simples
I'll experiment with that first, before I start messing with those Toyota-powered explosives in the A-posts. I'd prefer it if the thing was 100% out of sight, but it'd need to proof its quality reception first.

Hoovie wrote:I bet the original connector will only be available as part of the complete kit at around 50% of what you paid for the new head unit :rolleyes: I'd still recommend you make your own socket :s_smile
You might be right there . . I'll ask about a bit; I might even be available second hand somewhere. And if the price is indeed too steep I can always just use that special connector cable that came with the Henhao, and leave it in the storage compartment under the center armrest.
BTW, there's no USB involved there; the cable has the iPod connector on the one, and an industry standard connector on the other end. The latter will fit into a receptacle at the back of the head unit. So I won't be needing a USB port . .

Hoovie wrote:On my RAV4.2, I found the GPS Antenna on the Kenwood unit I fitted worked perfectly when just wedged under the top of the dashboard (didn't need to be line of sight and visible) - I'd suggest you check if that works for your unit before running cables you may not need :s_smile
Pretty much what Bitman says as well, so I better check that option indeed. Why do they screw those things on top the roof of BMWs, Volvos and the likes?!
Now let's hope for some 'technical weather' this weekend! ;-)
Nosegear
Club Regular
Club Regular

Primary Vehicle: 2007 Limited
Year: 2007
Trim Level: XT4+
Fuel Type: Gas
Other Vehicle: Honda ST1100
Year: 1996

PostPosted by Hoovie » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:03 pm

Just a little observation .... if you plug in an iPod cable into the back of the head unit, you are commited to using an iPod (and with that style- either new or old, whichever you choose) so lose the option to chose between device types.
Use a USB Extension lead and it makes things a lot less hassle to change if you make the extension end easily accessible :s_smile
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by Nosegear » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:46 pm

True, and to be frank I don't even HAVE an iPod! ;-) Just some brandless MP3 player I use when running.

I suppose I could figure out the pin layout, as it's most likely an USB derivate.
EDIT: There's even a separate USB cable in the box & a separate USB port on the rear - problem solved! Just need to find a way like you did to get a USB slot neatly tucked away in the dash somewhere so I can plug in a stick with some tunes I dig . .

There's also a mini USB port at the front of the unit, but that would mean loose cables in the cockpit again.
Nosegear
Club Regular
Club Regular

PostPosted by Hoovie » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:08 pm

I wonder if they do mini-USB Sticks yet?

In this pic is the stick I use in the Bus ... 16GB and works well - about as stealth you can get with being visible :s_biggrin

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

PostPosted by bitman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:17 pm

Nosegear wrote:
bitman wrote:just clip that gps puck on the metal bar behind the radio / instrument panel works fine and no need to route the cables, simples
I'll experiment with that first, before I start messing with those Toyota-powered explosives in the A-posts. I'd prefer it if the thing was 100% out of sight, but it'd need to proof its quality reception first.

so you think my missus drives around as a headless chicken with no reception on her satnav :s_dunno
bitman
Club Regular
Club Regular

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Auto
Year: 2005
Trim Level: XT3
Other Vehicle: Subaru Forester Auto
Year: 2006
Trim: XC

PostPosted by Hoovie » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:23 pm

bitman wrote:
Nosegear wrote:

so you think my missus drives around as a headless chicken with no reception on her satnav :s_dunno

different GPS receivers have different tolerances .....

Hoovie
Admin
Admin

PostPosted by Nosegear » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:06 pm

bitman wrote:so you think my missus drives around as a headless chicken with no reception on her satnav :s_dunno
Hahaha, yep, I think I saw her drive by the other day here in Lelystad, looking -= very =- confused!

Oh, they do pretty small USB sticks these days: Image
Nosegear
Club Regular
Club Regular

PostPosted by mickster69 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:14 pm

fitted the reverse camera today decided to out it here below the number plate
first i removed the panels along the front and rear door they just pull off
then removed the rear boot side panel there i 5 screws and also the rear seat-belt location of 2 of the screws and bolt for seat belt are here
the next 2 screw are here either side top
then the next 1 is located here after removing the rear door floor panel its also just clipped on
then the panel just pulls of carefull not to break any clips
i also removed the rear door panel to run the wires through
drilled out were the camera will sit with the provided hole cutter undone the number plate and pulled the panel of to feel the wires through i used the white stiff wire you can see to pull the wires through the bottom of the door as its to tight to get your hand in
i rooted the positive and earth through the rear doors wiring harness and wired to the reverse light wires
took about an hour todo works great even the night vision is good
mickster69
'100 Club' Member
'100 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 2003 d4d
Year: 2003
Trim Level: vx
Fuel Type: diesel

PostPosted by dave.m » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:50 pm

Excellent and now pinned Mick :s_thumbsup
dave.m
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 no 4
Fuel Type: Hybrid

PostPosted by mickster69 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:34 pm

a probs could of done some more pics n description buh to be honest i hurried it abit as it was on off raining so i just wanted to get it done :s_biggrin :s_biggrin
mickster69
'100 Club' Member
'100 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 2003 d4d
Year: 2003
Trim Level: vx
Fuel Type: diesel

PreviousNext

Return to SUV Technical Q & A