Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

starting issues?

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

starting issues?

PostPosted by ozzyo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:37 pm

hello,

i have just aquired a rav4 53 plate. it starts fine from cold, but when it is warm / hot it is difficult to start, i have to put a lot of throttle on whilst turning the key. i took it to london from s.wales and had a quick stop j12 m4, but then had to let it cool down for 20/30 mins before it would start.

it does need a service and i am told (by previous owner) it has lost some mpg as it now covers 50 or so miles less on a tank of diesel

any ideas please?? thanks in advance

ozzyo
ozzyo

Re: starting issues?

PostPosted by Ravinder » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Hi,

Our 2004 d4d occasionally has the same problems....but only when engine is hot....very frustrating... sometimes when we come to restart after stopping for 3-10 mins the turn over is as if the battery is on the way out (battery and alternator both fairly new),as is the fuel filter and she runs on BP fuel. There is no rhyme or reason to her not starting. Leave her for 10-15 mins and she statrs fine...If you look on 'tinternet there are forums for Ford and VW with the same diesel ''hot start' issues...type in ''diesel hot start problems''....and be prepared to weep..in short, no one seems to know whats wrong or why. If you ever find out, please let me and the forum know.!!! Best of luck!
Ravinder

Primary Vehicle: D4d 4door
Year: 2004
Trim Level: xt3
Fuel Type: diesel

Return to SUV Technical Q & A