Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Steering wheel controls not working.

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

Steering wheel controls not working.

PostPosted by Uncle bob » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:01 pm

Recently several of the steering wheel functions stopped working on my car and after a bit of investigation it turned out to be the spiral cable ( or clock spring ) its got a cable ribbon inside and joins the button functions to the fixed part of the steering column.
Although this happened on my Lexus SC430 the spiral cable is common to all multi function steering wheels.
I first noticed the CD disc controller stopped working followed by the phone, then the horn stopped so time to get it fixed.
Lucky for me my car has a Lexus used car warrenty so not my expense ;) ...job came to just under £500 !
So if you have any functions not working on your steering wheel it could be an early warning sign...and can also affect the air bag :( .

This is the fitting procedure for my car but all Toyota's will be very similar ....
https://youtu.be/8UPzuTzMaak
Past Rav4's owned......
1996 import 3 door RAV4 J type.
2004 XT3 3 door.
RAV4 DRIVERS CLUB. The number one choice for UK Rav4 owners.
My big jobs thread....post15823.html#p15823
Uncle bob
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Lexus
Year: 2003
Trim Level: SC430
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: Toyota Aygo
Year: 2006
Trim: Sport
Fuel Type: Petrol