Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Rear Discs off colour

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Rear Discs off colour

PostPosted by northern_lad » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:37 am

When parked in a wide open car park I noticed that the rear discs where a very dark if not a rusty colour. On further examination they appeared scored in places and little used in others.

Been to toyota this morning and told it’s quite common on these cars as the discs are open to rain and therefore rust which is compressed into the metal discs by the pads.

Looking around as you do at every other car with rear discs none look like mine.
Car booked in for Wednesday am to be looked at.

Never had a car under warranty before so what in your experiences with toyota will be the likely outcome?

IE who will be paying?

Car is under warranty until April.

Keith
northern_lad
'100 Club' Member
'100 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.4
Year: 2013
Trim Level: ICON
Fuel Type: Diesel

Re: Rear Discs off colour

PostPosted by Big Kev » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:45 pm

Keith.....when were pads last changed....? By any small chance , and small annual mileage, would they still be the original pads.....? These were extremely prone to shedding pad material on to discs giving them a distinct brownish hue not unlike rust but isnae rust. Build up of this crud usually led to untrue rotation and brake pedal feedback/pumping.

Toyota referred this problem to their Uncle Pontius in Galilee btw........
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SR Auto
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2004
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

PostPosted by northern_lad » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:35 pm

Thanks Kev
Car has only done 35K and there isn’t any mention of brakes being replaced on the toyota online history.

My 59 plate didn’t have this problem and I replaced the pads at 60K from the originals.

Does a new set of pads sort it or does it need new discs as well, don’t fancy replacing the discs but equally don’t fancy dealer prices.
northern_lad
'100 Club' Member
'100 Club' Member

PostPosted by Davrav » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:54 pm

Try a set of Pagid pads. Cleaned up rear discs on my '08. Original rear discs now on 110K and still well above thickness limits. As Kev says, original Toyota pads deposited material as not abrasive enough. I believe a member hereon instrumental in initiating a change in OEM pad material ;)
RAV4 Drivers Club - For all things RAV4 and much, much more!
Davrav
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 4.3
Year: 2008
Trim Level: XTR+
Other Vehicle: Mitsubishi ASX
Year: 2017
Trim: Auto

PostPosted by northern_lad » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:02 pm

Will see what the dealer says on Wednesday but if it’s not being done under warranty I will replace them my self.

Don’t remember them being them being this colour when I picked it up 6 months since and although it doesn’t do many miles, it tows our caravan regularly.

Keith
northern_lad
'100 Club' Member
'100 Club' Member

PostPosted by Uncle bob » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:33 pm

There's every chance they will skim the discs with a machine that clamps to the caliper bolts....takes .5mm or less and cleans up the surface .
Past Rav4's owned......
1996 import 3 door RAV4 J type.
2004 XT3 3 door.
RAV4 DRIVERS CLUB. The number one choice for UK Rav4 owners.
My big jobs thread....post15823.html#p15823
Uncle bob
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Lexus
Year: 2003
Trim Level: SC430
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: Toyota Aygo
Year: 2006
Trim: Sport
Fuel Type: Petrol

PostPosted by Big Kev » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:36 am

Uncle bob wrote:There's every chance they will skim the discs with a machine that clamps to the caliper bolts....takes .5mm or less and cleans up the surface .

What Oor Rab says is the minimum they should do for thee, Keith, as that IS DEFFO the problem.....pad material stuckification (PMS.....) Personally, YES I would change the pads, but not until that crud is away aff them. Casey Jones ripped their bums at the time and as Davrav says the pad material was changed.....they will NOT admit any kinda liability, but may skim as a good willy gesture thing.
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SR Auto
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2004
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

PostPosted by northern_lad » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:33 pm

The service guy did start off with its s well known problem speal but seemed to change course when I showed him the pics I had taken. He pointed out the worn bits which are grooved and the really dark bits where there doesn’t seem to be much contact. TBH I don’t think they are working.
When I got the car it had undergone a severe pressure washing around the hubs and rims, I suspect they have blasted off the dirt and the grease and the pads are now seized.

See what he says tomorrow, meanwhile I have been checking prices for the bits. ECP HAVE 37% off this week and Amazon prices are not bad at times.
northern_lad
'100 Club' Member
'100 Club' Member

PostPosted by northern_lad » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:37 pm

Well the good news is the brakes are working, they put it on the mot rolling road and all is well, the bad news is they aren’t going to replace anything so I may replace the pads.
I have seen some Brembo on Amazon for about £22. Will they be better than the original Toyota ones.
northern_lad
'100 Club' Member
'100 Club' Member

PostPosted by anchorman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:28 am

Sorry, I ve been working!

Brembo are brake manufacturers not friction material manufacturers and unless something has changed, they don't make friction material, they buy it in and sell it on. With that in mind, I don't know who's friction material it is that they are selling so I wouldn't bother. What Kev and David honed in on immediately was absolutely correct in that some Japanese friction material isn't abrasive enough to keep itself and the disc clean, especially at lower duty levels which is long recognised by the European friction manufacturers.

You could try taking it out on a quiet road and giving it some stick - braking hard to get them hot and then driving normally for a while then do it again to see if they recover in appearance. Alternatively, just get some European pads but that is the tricky bit. The reason the guys have said Pagid is because they are one of the few that don't buy in for the aftermarket so you know what you are getting. Given the nature of your problem, I would do just that and if you subscribe to Eurocarprts, they knock 30% off every weekend and one night in the week. It should improve things but if you are low mileage and drive steady, it is extremely difficult to get any heat into the rear brakes and it may still do it to some extent.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

Next

Return to SUV Technical Q & A