Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Considering sharing one car with my wife

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

Considering sharing one car with my wife

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:59 pm

It won't be until the new year but I am seriously considering just having the one car between me and my wife. We are very fortunate to have two low mileage cars but it is very rare that we use more than one at any given time. To be honest we can only think of doing so once or twice this year! I don't think we need a car as big as the CRV / RAV any more so will probably go for a HRV or more likely another Jazz - they are bringing one out with a 1.5 litre engine and I think that will be better than the 1.3 in mine. I will definitely have a test drive in November if I can find one locally.

Does anyone else share a car on here, it doesn't seem very usual these days?
RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 forum in the UK!

Previous owner of LC3, RAV 4.3 2.2 diesel and 4.3 XT4 2.0 petrol, and many other Toyotas!

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Honda CRV Auto
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SE+
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: Honda Jazz CVT
Trim: EX

Re: Considering sharing one car with my wife

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:35 pm

Kinda the same for us in that my wife's car sits doing nowt most of the time but there will always be that occasion where she wants to use her car. It's an independence thing really rather than any real need.

Given the Rav is as small as I could cope with it's impractical anyway.

David if you change your two cars for one the dealers will love you. You will loose out on the two you.have and if it's done with saving money over time it may not work out that way.. I guess the running costs must be taken in as well ? Neither of our cars cost much to run. Well it's 3 cars counting my white IQ. But if we dropped the wife's IQ we would save next to nothing. Insurance £120 VED £20 that's about it...... Plus IQs run on fumes did I ever mention that ?? :D
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..

PostPosted by Davrav » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Why not get something economical and practical to share for the 'every day' stuff and something fun for days out and weekends away?
That way you still have a second car should the need arise and can have some enjoyment of the second car when you feel like it. What is your typical annual mileage now? Some good insurance discounts for limited miles.
RAV4 Drivers Club - For all things RAV4 and much, much more!
Davrav
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 4.3
Year: 2008
Trim Level: XTR+
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Mitsubishi ASX
Year: 2017
Trim: Auto
Fuel Type: Diesel

PostPosted by Hoovie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:42 pm

DavidWilson wrote:It won't be until the new year but I am seriously considering just having the one car between me and my wife. We are very fortunate to have two low mileage cars but it is very rare that we use more than one at any given time. To be honest we can only think of doing so once or twice this year! I don't think we need a car as big as the CRV / RAV any more so will probably go for a HRV or more likely another Jazz - they are bringing one out with a 1.5 litre engine and I think that will be better than the 1.3 in mine. I will definitely have a test drive in November if I can find one locally.

One of the reasons I swapped my DS5 for a Corsa was to sell the Swift as well and have just the one car. The Swift does maybe 1,000 miles a year and needs brake work every year due to it sitting around most of the time, so it makes much better sense to have the one shared car I think (and even that will average under 5k a year probably).
If need be, I will always be able to use my 6.5M campervan as a runabout (but rather not!!).

One thing you need to be aware of David, if you are not already, is if you have just the one vehicle, one of you will not have insurance in their own name - and a NCD expires after 2 years of non-insurance, so you should alternate annually whose name the insurance is under to avoid losing any NCD.
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:11 pm

CharlieFarlie wrote:Kinda the same for us in that my wife's car sits doing nowt most of the time but there will always be that occasion where she wants to use her car. It's an independence thing really rather than any real need.

Given the Rav is as small as I could cope with it's impractical anyway.

David if you change your two cars for one the dealers will love you. You will loose out on the two you.have and if it's done with saving money over time it may not work out that way.. I guess the running costs must be taken in as well ? Neither of our cars cost much to run. Well it's 3 cars counting my white IQ. But if we dropped the wife's IQ we would save next to nothing. Insurance £120 VED £20 that's about it...... Plus IQs run on fumes did I ever mention that ?? :D

Interesting- thanks. The dealers would definitely be getting two very low mileage examples that would be a good buy for the next owner, but I bought them both at a good price so can't complain. The saving would be the runnng cost of the CRV and that would be welcome but it is more that I want to be a good steward with my money than a desperate need to save costs. My Jazz is also running on fumes! It did 60 mpg the other day on a trip out!

Previous owner of LC3, RAV 4.3 2.2 diesel and 4.3 XT4 2.0 petrol, and many other Toyotas!

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:52 pm

Davrav wrote:Why not get something economical and practical to share for the 'every day' stuff and something fun for days out and weekends away?
That way you still have a second car should the need arise and can have some enjoyment of the second car when you feel like it. What is your typical annual mileage now? Some good insurance discounts for limited miles.

That may be the way to go - certainly tempting! I have wondered about a Civic type R.

Mileage is low, but insurance cheap at the moment!

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:05 pm

Hoovie wrote:
DavidWilson wrote:It won't be until the new year but I am seriously considering just having the one car between me and my wife. We are very fortunate to have two low mileage cars but it is very rare that we use more than one at any given time. To be honest we can only think of doing so once or twice this year! I don't think we need a car as big as the CRV / RAV any more so will probably go for a HRV or more likely another Jazz - they are bringing one out with a 1.5 litre engine and I think that will be better than the 1.3 in mine. I will definitely have a test drive in November if I can find one locally.

One of the reasons I swapped my DS5 for a Corsa was to sell the Swift as well and have just the one car. The Swift does maybe 1,000 miles a year and needs brake work every year due to it sitting around most of the time, so it makes much better sense to have the one shared car I think (and even that will average under 5k a year probably).
If need be, I will always be able to use my 6.5M campervan as a runabout (but rather not!!).

One thing you need to be aware of David, if you are not already, is if you have just the one vehicle, one of you will not have insurance in their own name - and a NCD expires after 2 years of non-insurance, so you should alternate annually whose name the insurance is under to avoid losing any NCD.

Yes that was why I sold the MX5 - hardly being used and just sitting on the drive. The road tax on the CRV is £280 and we get 27 mpg average (the last fill up was 23 mpg) so not very economical. The Jazz is pretty good, the only drawbacks are the initial pull away could feel brisker and I would like finer adjustments for the seat back.

Yes I know about the insurance situation, my daughter and her husband had to do that for a time.

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:51 pm

After all that, I had to use my car today to collect one of our cats from the vet whilst my wife used her car for a trip to the swimming pool! Nonetheless I think we can probably manage with one car. Something not too big and a petrol automatic.

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by Hoovie » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:36 pm

hope the cat is ok :cat
Cat Ambulances are VERY important :Y
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:36 pm

Hoovie wrote:hope the cat is ok :cat
Cat Ambulances are VERY important :Y

Thanks yes the cat is reasonably okay. We have five and it was their annual checkup and inoculation time. One of our 15 year old pedigree cats had blood tests and blood pressure tests - as a result he has been diagnosed with high BP so we are going to be giving him tablets for that. :cat

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Next