Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Considering sharing one car with my wife

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

Re: Considering sharing one car with my wife

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:01 pm

That's odd, I just wrote a long reply to Ash but it doesn't seem to be posted!
RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 forum in the UK!

Previous owner of LC3, RAV 4.3 2.2 diesel and 4.3 XT4 2.0 petrol, and many other Toyotas!

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Honda CRV Auto
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SE+
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: Honda Jazz CVT
Trim: EX

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:06 pm

RAVAsher wrote:When the 4.2 was written off last year we tried to go with only one car. It was a nightmare but our circumstances are different. If I go back to around 2000 I used to drive a gorgeous Celica and at that time we used to buy brand new every 3 years and it turned out to be a waste really. The wife’s Yaris clocked 3500 miles in 3 years then we traded that in bought another new Yaris and that clocked........wait for it 2000 miles in 3 years. So at the time it was pointless.
So coming back to the present day it was a nightmare I was dropping the kids to school and that’s 3 different schools wife to work then during the day sometimes she was working at different clinics so had to drop and pick her up again back to the school run and then my hospital visits etc it was a nightmare. I just checked the mot history on the old 4.2 and that was only doing around 3-5K miles and this year the 4.3 will have done just over 10K when it goes in for its MOT and service.
I do sometimes think the wife should downsize but she won’t she loves driving the Rav and we may be considering the CH-R as she saw one and loved it but then again comes down to usage again as she only drives to work and local shopping trips where as I clock more mileage as I’m reliant on the car and clock up to 3-4 times more.
Judging by Charlie’s IQ running on fumes think I may downsize to that :s_drinks as the 4.2 don’t half like a drink

It's not just they RUN ON FUMES...............Did I mention that ..,.,,, It's zero VED (£20 on the auto) and 120 a year to insure..... If we decide to sell the motor home I will still hang onto the IQ WHICH RUNS ON FUME...... Did I mention that ? Cos it's way way cheaper than the bus.....

Plus with the big doors and high seats it's easy for a disabled person to get in and out of :s_thumbsup
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:57 am

DavidWilson wrote:That's odd, I just wrote a long reply to Ash but it doesn't seem to be posted!

It happened again. I think the problem was that I was no longer on summer time .... but I don't know why!

Previous owner of LC3, RAV 4.3 2.2 diesel and 4.3 XT4 2.0 petrol, and many other Toyotas!

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:14 am

RAVAsher wrote:When the 4.2 was written off last year we tried to go with only one car. It was a nightmare but our circumstances are different. If I go back to around 2000 I used to drive a gorgeous Celica and at that time we used to buy brand new every 3 years and it turned out to be a waste really. The wife’s Yaris clocked 3500 miles in 3 years then we traded that in bought another new Yaris and that clocked........wait for it 2000 miles in 3 years. So at the time it was pointless.
So coming back to the present day it was a nightmare I was dropping the kids to school and that’s 3 different schools wife to work then during the day sometimes she was working at different clinics so had to drop and pick her up again back to the school run and then my hospital visits etc it was a nightmare. I just checked the mot history on the old 4.2 and that was only doing around 3-5K miles and this year the 4.3 will have done just over 10K when it goes in for its MOT and service.
I do sometimes think the wife should downsize but she won’t she loves driving the Rav and we may be considering the CH-R as she saw one and loved it but then again comes down to usage again as she only drives to work and local shopping trips where as I clock more mileage as I’m reliant on the car and clock up to 3-4 times more.
Judging by Charlie’s IQ running on fumes think I may downsize to that :s_drinks as the 4.2 don’t half like a drink

Yes it is all down to individual choice and personal circumstance but I do find the comments on here useful. I realise from reading your reply, Ash, that I am making two changes: down to one car and downsizing. Hoovie's point about the second car deteriorating through lack of use is pertinent and both our cars are outside these days - it would make sense to use and pay for just the one if we don't need the second car (and I don't think we do!) I hesitate to downsize but my wife says we don't need a large car these days. Rather like Charlie's comments for his iQ, the Jazz has wide opening doors, upright seats with the feel of a high driving position (my wife is having mobility issues) and super low running costs (especially if a 5 year service plan is part of the deal). The only downside to the Jazz is the image of being for old people but there do appear to be a few youngsters nipping about in them too! I hoped that the CH-R would be an alternative for us but although it looks great and is very stylish, the rear looks claustrophobic for our grandchildren.

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Ref your - or maybe your wifes - comment about downsizing, as you probably know I changed from a Citroen DS5 to a Vauxhall Corsa. Quite a big difference in size and perception and I did wonder if it was the right thing to do but I can honestly say I have absolutely no regrets at all and the Corsa gives me everything I need in a car despite being so much smaller.

The Honda Jazz is a masterpiece of space packaging as well as you know yourself of course, so I am sure would do admirably for a one-car household.
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:00 pm

Hoovie wrote:Ref your - or maybe your wifes - comment about downsizing, as you probably know I changed from a Citroen DS5 to a Vauxhall Corsa. Quite a big difference in size and perception and I did wonder if it was the right thing to do but I can honestly say I have absolutely no regrets at all and the Corsa gives me everything I need in a car despite being so much smaller.

The Honda Jazz is a masterpiece of space packaging as well as you know yourself of course, so I am sure would do admirably for a one-car household.

Thanks for the reassurance :s_thumbsup

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by LDB415 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:06 pm

DavidWilson wrote: and super low running costs (especially if a 5 year service plan is part of the deal).

Most of the service plans offered to us cost more than just going for service when it's needed, especially if you have a trustworthy local shop to work with. I believe the Jazz is what they call the Fit over here. It seems to be more younger people over here although I think it's a great car for anyone. Reasonably priced and rock solid. Sounds like a very intelligent option to me.
2017 RAV4 XLE FWD Magnetic Gray
LDB415
Club Member
Club Member

Primary Vehicle: XLE FWD
Fuel Type: Gasoline

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:05 pm

LDB415 wrote:
DavidWilson wrote: and super low running costs (especially if a 5 year service plan is part of the deal).

Most of the service plans offered to us cost more than just going for service when it's needed, especially if you have a trustworthy local shop to work with. I believe the Jazz is what they call the Fit over here. It seems to be more younger people over here although I think it's a great car for anyone. Reasonably priced and rock solid. Sounds like a very intelligent option to me.

Yes that's the one, Jazz or Fit! I believe the 1.5 litre engine is the norm in the USA but in the U.K. we have a 1.3 litre at present. The 1.5 will be available in the new year and offer 30% more power and improved low down response - should make a big difference in a light car. :s_thumbsup

Yes, I too normally subscribe to "pay as you go" servicing but the Honda plans available in the U.K. when buying a new or used car are tremendous value. I was suspicious when I was first offered one on our CRV but they really are good and can be used at any Honda dealer.

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by LDB415 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:32 pm

I wish we had similar plans. All the ones I've seen are no bargain. They might be reasonable if they were in addition to the included 24 months 24k miles but they include that so on say a 60 months 60k miles plan you are paying for 40% of it that you already have.

We have a saying when we're happy about something or enthused about something that we're jazzed about it. It really fits here to be jazzed about your (potentially) new Jazz. I keep wishing they'd make a Fit Si with the running gear from the Civic Si. That would be an awesome fun vehicle.
2017 RAV4 XLE FWD Magnetic Gray
LDB415
Club Member
Club Member

Primary Vehicle: XLE FWD
Fuel Type: Gasoline

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:46 pm

we are looking to have the one car between two of us, and you are thinking maybe one jazz for the two of you.

Funnily enough we have a friend who has had two cars for herself for the last 8+ years, because even though she has a company car she loves her Jazz too much to sell it :D
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

Previous

Return to Car Talk