Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Considering sharing one car with my wife

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

Re: Considering sharing one car with my wife

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:39 pm

DavidWilson wrote:
Hoovie wrote:hope the cat is ok :cat
Cat Ambulances are VERY important :Y

Thanks yes the cat is reasonably okay. We have five and it was their annual checkup and inoculation time. One of our 15 year old pedigree cats had blood tests and blood pressure tests - as a result he has been diagnosed with high BP so we are going to be giving him tablets for that. :cat

It has made me reconsider the going down to one car idea though. I think I will take my time pondering!
RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 forum in the UK!

Previous owner of LC3, RAV 4.3 2.2 diesel and 4.3 XT4 2.0 petrol, and many other Toyotas!

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Honda CRV Auto
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SE+
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: Honda Jazz CVT
Trim: EX

PostPosted by clarki » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:15 pm

My folks tried that a couple of years ago. Lasted about 3 months :D
clarki
Club Member
Club Member

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2009
Trim Level: XT-R
Fuel Type: D-4D
Other Vehicle: SLK
Fuel Type: Lots

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:36 pm

clarki wrote:My folks tried that a couple of years ago. Lasted about 3 months :D

Well that wouldn't be a complete disaster but probably not the cheapest option! We used both cars this morning but were both in the same one!

Previous owner of LC3, RAV 4.3 2.2 diesel and 4.3 XT4 2.0 petrol, and many other Toyotas!

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by uniquestar » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:16 pm

The wife and I managed it for just over 2 years after we bought the Rav4. She could get the bus to work, or I would drop her off and she would get the bus home. We then shared it out over a weekend and evenings, never really had a problem.

Thankfully we left her insurance running as it had 6 weeks left when we sold the car. When we eventually bought a second car again (she got pregnant and bored of the bus), the insurance company told us had we waited 2 more days, we would have lost the NCD!
uniquestar
Club Member
Club Member

Primary Vehicle: Rav 4 2.2 D-4D
Year: 2007
Trim Level: XT-R
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Auris 1.6
Year: 2006

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:04 pm

uniquestar wrote:The wife and I managed it for just over 2 years after we bought the Rav4. She could get the bus to work, or I would drop her off and she would get the bus home. We then shared it out over a weekend and evenings, never really had a problem.

Thankfully we left her insurance running as it had 6 weeks left when we sold the car. When we eventually bought a second car again (she got pregnant and bored of the bus), the insurance company told us had we waited 2 more days, we would have lost the NCD!

Buses are not really an option where I live being infrequent and prone to breakdown. If I did get stuck I could get a taxi but if that happened more than once or twice I would probably buy a second car, so I guess I need to be sure before I go down to one. We have both been out frequently each day lately but haven't used both cars at the same time, so there is not much point paying out for two but I am not in a rush to change.

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by LDB415 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:55 pm

What is NCD? And on to the topic, if the cars are paid for and your usage is low they may last you forever, especially dividing usage between two. You might trade the two even for one whatever you wanted. You could always get a Vespa or something as a backup.
2017 RAV4 XLE FWD Magnetic Gray
LDB415
Club Member
Club Member

Primary Vehicle: XLE FWD
Year: 2017
Fuel Type: Gasoline

PostPosted by Davrav » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:16 pm

NCD is 'No claims discount' that is earned by not making any insurance claims. It can be built up over a number of years and insurance companies apply the relevant discount to the calculated premium price.
Here in the UK we can pay an additional sum at start of insurance to have the NCD 'protected' under certain circumstances, otherwise, if a claim is made you lose your NCD.

I too wondered about a scooter as a potential back up for you David. They're considerably different machines now, compared to those ones the Mods used to ride.
RAV4 Drivers Club - For all things RAV4 and much, much more!
Davrav
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 4.3
Year: 2008
Trim Level: XTR+
Other Vehicle: Mitsubishi ASX
Trim: Auto

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:20 pm

Thanks for the idea but in truth I can't see me on a scooter.

I have been reading up about various cars today - I definitely will have a test drive in the 1.5 litre Jazz when it is out in the U.K. and will probably buy one but will have to decide whether to replace one or both of our cars.

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by RAVAsher » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:28 pm

When the 4.2 was written off last year we tried to go with only one car. It was a nightmare but our circumstances are different. If I go back to around 2000 I used to drive a gorgeous Celica and at that time we used to buy brand new every 3 years and it turned out to be a waste really. The wife’s Yaris clocked 3500 miles in 3 years then we traded that in bought another new Yaris and that clocked........wait for it 2000 miles in 3 years. So at the time it was pointless.
So coming back to the present day it was a nightmare I was dropping the kids to school and that’s 3 different schools wife to work then during the day sometimes she was working at different clinics so had to drop and pick her up again back to the school run and then my hospital visits etc it was a nightmare. I just checked the mot history on the old 4.2 and that was only doing around 3-5K miles and this year the 4.3 will have done just over 10K when it goes in for its MOT and service.
I do sometimes think the wife should downsize but she won’t she loves driving the Rav and we may be considering the CH-R as she saw one and loved it but then again comes down to usage again as she only drives to work and local shopping trips where as I clock more mileage as I’m reliant on the car and clock up to 3-4 times more.
Judging by Charlie’s IQ running on fumes think I may downsize to that :s_drinks as the 4.2 don’t half like a drink
Formally knows as "Yaris781"
It's better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you are not!!

fully charged ready to go now. wireless charging can be recharged on the go without looking for a PowerPoint
RAVAsher
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.3
Year: 2006
Trim Level: T180
Other Vehicle: Rav 4
Year: 2002
Trim: 2.0 VVTi VX

PostPosted by Hoovie » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:42 pm

The Swift is in the garage currently have quite a bit of work getting done to it, after which time it will definately be going up for sale. I am sure a lot of the work needed is due to the car not being used and sitting outside in a damp environment, as it is all work being done underneath on the exposed underchassis.

Checked the MOT history just now and it has done under 1,400 miles in the last year. The previous year it did a smidge over 1,000 miles, and 1,200 the year before that, so not only is it sitting doing virually nothing, it is costing a lot per mile (tax, insurance, servicing) as well as deterotiating through lack of use.
Something else to consider, especially if the 2nd car lives outside?
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PreviousNext

Return to Car Talk