Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals


Fault Codes Fuel Circuit

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Fault Codes Fuel Circuit

PostPosted by Snow_Drift » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:54 pm

I am hoping that someone can help. My mother has a 2004 XT4 2.0 Diesel Rav4 that has done 180,000 miles. The car has for many years had an intermittent power loss fault when overtaking at highway speeds.

Recently the problem became more regular and on a long journey the other day the amber engine warning light came on and the car went into limp mode. The car still starts fine and drives but there is hardly any power. The car also seems to surge forward very slightly as you are driving along as if it is trying to clear a fuel blockage.

The vehicle recovery service came out and read the fault codes, which were as follows:

P0627, FUEL PUMP A CONTROL CIRCUIT / OPEN
P0488, EGR THROTTLE POSITION CONTROL RANGE/PERFORMANCE

I replaced the fuel filter today as it is unknown when that was last done. However, that did not solve the problem.
Can anyone tell me what these codes mean and whether I can try and pinpoint the source of the fault. Or at least tell me what I can discount as not being part of the problem e.g. injectors, high pressure fuel pump, SCV valves etc.
Snow_Drift
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:50 pm
Country: England

Re: Fault Codes Fuel Circuit

PostPosted by ROGER_37 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:46 pm

:welcome Snow_Drift :s_howdy
User avatar
ROGER_37
Club Supporter
Club Supporter
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:26 pm
Real Name: MARTIN
Primary Vehicle: RAV4
Year: 2011
Trim Level: XT-R
Fuel Type: 2.2 DIESEL
Country: IRELAND

Re: Fault Codes Fuel Circuit

PostPosted by anchorman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:08 am

Snow_Drift wrote:I am hoping that someone can help. My mother has a 2004 XT4 2.0 Diesel Rav4 that has done 180,000 miles. The car has for many years had an intermittent power loss fault when overtaking at highway speeds.

Recently the problem became more regular and on a long journey the other day the amber engine warning light came on and the car went into limp mode. The car still starts fine and drives but there is hardly any power. The car also seems to surge forward very slightly as you are driving along as if it is trying to clear a fuel blockage.

The vehicle recovery service came out and read the fault codes, which were as follows:

P0627, FUEL PUMP A CONTROL CIRCUIT / OPEN
P0488, EGR THROTTLE POSITION CONTROL RANGE/PERFORMANCE

I replaced the fuel filter today as it is unknown when that was last done. However, that did not solve the problem.
Can anyone tell me what these codes mean and whether I can try and pinpoint the source of the fault. Or at least tell me what I can discount as not being part of the problem e.g. injectors, high pressure fuel pump, SCV valves etc.


Hello. P0627 on a RAV is linked to the suction control valves. You can sometimes recover them by cleaning them in mild solvent but otherwise, PF Jones do them and sometimes there are bargains to be found on eBay but stick with genuine Toyota or genuine Denso. The moral of the story, stay away from supermarket diesel.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
User avatar
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator
 
Posts: 5075
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:43 pm
Real Name: Don
Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel
Country: England

Re: Fault Codes Fuel Circuit

PostPosted by jase hutch » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:59 am

Welcome to the club Snow_Drift..... :s_thumbsup
User avatar
jase hutch
Club Supporter
Club Supporter
 
Posts: 4332
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:50 pm
Location: Worcestershire.
Primary Vehicle: 4.2. 3dr
Year: 2004
Trim Level: XT3
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ
Year: 2011
Trim: Auto
Fuel Type: Petrol
Country: U.K.

Re: Fault Codes Fuel Circuit

PostPosted by Snow_Drift » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks for the welcomes.

I did a bit of reading around on here and google after using the search terms ‘P0627’ and ‘SCV valves’. I saw some of your comments Anchorman on an older post explaining about removing them and cleaning them and also about the supermarket fuel.

I therefore changed the fuel filter, took the valves out tried to clean them as thoroughly as I could using Carb & EGR cleaner, clean diesel, compressed air, and using a small 12v battery to operate the valves out of the car in cleaning solution.

The car was back to normal and pulled fine up to 2500rpm at which point it hit a major flat spot and had no power. The engine amber warning light also went out. The following day the car went back into limp mode and then eventually the amber light was back.

I would imagine that because the car got 50% better after cleaning the valves that this confirms it is definitely the SCV valves? They have actually failed once or twice before but were replaced at the Toyota dealer when the car was much younger and worth more.

I just wanted to try and make sure (as much as possible) that it is the SCV valves before buying them because I don’t want to waste £150 on the valves, find no difference and have to scrap/sell for parts straight after.

Do you know if the gaskets are usually supplied with the valves or is this something that I have to go to a Toyota dealer to get?
Snow_Drift
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:50 pm
Country: England

Re: Fault Codes Fuel Circuit

PostPosted by anchorman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:26 pm

Snow_Drift wrote:Thanks for the welcomes.

I did a bit of reading around on here and google after using the search terms ‘P0627’ and ‘SCV valves’. I saw some of your comments Anchorman on an older post explaining about removing them and cleaning them and also about the supermarket fuel.

I therefore changed the fuel filter, took the valves out tried to clean them as thoroughly as I could using Carb & EGR cleaner, clean diesel, compressed air, and using a small 12v battery to operate the valves out of the car in cleaning solution.

The car was back to normal and pulled fine up to 2500rpm at which point it hit a major flat spot and had no power. The engine amber warning light also went out. The following day the car went back into limp mode and then eventually the amber light was back.

I would imagine that because the car got 50% better after cleaning the valves that this confirms it is definitely the SCV valves? They have actually failed once or twice before but were replaced at the Toyota dealer when the car was much younger and worth more.

I just wanted to try and make sure (as much as possible) that it is the SCV valves before buying them because I don’t want to waste £150 on the valves, find no difference and have to scrap/sell for parts straight after.

Do you know if the gaskets are usually supplied with the valves or is this something that I have to go to a Toyota dealer to get?


Well I can’t guarantee it but usually when that P0627 code comes up, new SCVs fix it. I would give PF Jones a call about the valves and they will tell you what is in the box. I am aware that cleaning them doesn’t always work but its always worth a try.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
User avatar
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator
 
Posts: 5075
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:43 pm
Real Name: Don
Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel
Country: England

Re: Fault Codes Fuel Circuit

PostPosted by Snow_Drift » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:26 pm

Thanks. I ordered the valves from PF Jones. I just wanted to check if anyone knows the torque setting for the four small retaining bolts for the valves. Is 10 Nm about right?
Snow_Drift
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:50 pm
Country: England

Re: Fault Codes Fuel Circuit

PostPosted by sich1 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:33 pm

:welcome

i changed my valves about 2 months ago,i used the same amount of pressure when doing them up as i had to apply to remove them :D get a decent 5mm allen key and clean out the heads of the bolts too,make sure it is a good fit.

no gaskets needed as they are a metal to metal fit. good luck :s_thumbsup
User avatar
sich1
'750 Club' Member
'750 Club' Member
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:06 pm
Location: lincolnshire
Primary Vehicle: 4.2 D4D
Year: 2004
Trim Level: xt3
Fuel Type: diesel
Other Vehicle: vw polo tsi
Year: 2015
Country: England

Re: Fault Codes Fuel Circuit

PostPosted by anchorman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:34 am

sich1 wrote::welcome

i changed my valves about 2 months ago,i used the same amount of pressure when doing them up as i had to apply to remove them :D get a decent 5mm allen key and clean out the heads of the bolts too,make sure it is a good fit.

no gaskets needed as they are a metal to metal fit. good luck :s_thumbsup


Good advice here, they don't hold the wheels on so just nip them up evenly. They seal on rubber O rings.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
User avatar
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator
 
Posts: 5075
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:43 pm
Real Name: Don
Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel
Country: England


Return to SUV Technical Q & A

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


Interested in being a Club Supporter? Click Here!



Powered by Prophpbb Premium | Report Abuse | Privacy