Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Jag LR all electric by 2020 ?

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

Jag LR all electric by 2020 ?

PostPosted by Rambler » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:31 pm

Hmm , just heard on the news...

Wow.... that's a serious move for the industry

What do you reckon ?
Lifes too short.

Work to live , Not live to work..

Previous vehicle , 2002 3dr Baleric blue D4D Rav4.
Then 2014 Honda Jazz EX 1.4
Now ,2012 Rav4 XT-R 2.2 D4D.
Rambler
'750 Club' Member
'750 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Xt-R 2.2 D4D.
Year: 2012
Trim Level: XT-R
Fuel Type: Diesel

Re: Jag LR all electric by 2020 ?

PostPosted by philip42h » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:09 pm

That's the same announcement Volvo made a couple of months back ... all new models launched from 2020 will have an electric motor and so be electric or hybrid. No new models will be powered by an internal combustion engine alone. But that doesn't mean that they'll stop selling existing models as at the end of 2019 with purely internal combustion power any time soon. So it's a useful step forward (if you're into such things) but it's not a very bit commitment at all ...
Philip
philip42h
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.4 Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Icon

PostPosted by philip42h » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:44 pm

Actually, looking again today, the JLR announcement seems to be even less than I thought. Namely, that we will be able to buy an electrified version of every new Jaguar and Land Rover model from 2020. This means that every new Jaguar or Land Rover product line will also contain either a fully electric, hybrid or plug-in hybrid version [alongside the petrol and/or diesel engined versions].

And I think that is probably true of Toyota [cars] today ... ? So maybe even less of a seismic shift for the industry.
Philip
philip42h
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:01 pm

philip42h wrote:Actually, looking again today, the JLR announcement seems to be even less than I thought. Namely, that we will be able to buy an electrified version of every new Jaguar and Land Rover model from 2020. This means that every new Jaguar or Land Rover product line will also contain either a fully electric, hybrid or plug-in hybrid version [alongside the petrol and/or diesel engined versions].

And I think that is probably true of Toyota [cars] today ... ? So maybe even less of a seismic shift for the industry.

Jaguar are claiming to have full electric not hybrids ? Least that's how I'm reading it... Plus Toyota don't build a credible sports car only mainstream rather boring cars. Excellent cars yes but boring.. just look at the figures for the Ipace ?
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..

PostPosted by philip42h » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:52 pm

CharlieFarlie wrote:
philip42h wrote:Actually, looking again today, the JLR announcement seems to be even less than I thought. Namely, that we will be able to buy an electrified version of every new Jaguar and Land Rover model from 2020. This means that every new Jaguar or Land Rover product line will also contain either a fully electric, hybrid or plug-in hybrid version [alongside the petrol and/or diesel engined versions].

Jaguar are claiming to have full electric not hybrids ? Least that's how I'm reading it... Plus Toyota don't build a credible sports car only mainstream rather boring cars. Excellent cars yes but boring.. just look at the figures for the Ipace ?

True Charlie ... I'm commenting on the announcement rather than the cars. And manufacturers claims that they are going 'electric' are just as much specious marketing claims as their "scrapage" schemes ...

The iPace looks great and with a 300 mile range (followed by a 2 hour charge) its just about viable as a 'tourer' rather than just a city car. To my mind its success will be wholly dependent on the availability of charging points. {And I probably won't be able to afford one so will be 'stuck' with something more "boring" in any case ... :P ]

While the iPace is all electric, Jaguars claim of being 'electric' by 2020 is simply that they will have an electric or hybrid option for each new model by then ... I think.
Philip
philip42h
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:14 pm

philip42h wrote:
CharlieFarlie wrote:

True Charlie ... I'm commenting on the announcement rather than the cars. And manufacturers claims that they are going 'electric' are just as much specious marketing claims as their "scrapage" schemes ...

The iPace looks great and with a 300 mile range (followed by a 2 hour charge) its just about viable as a 'tourer' rather than just a city car. To my mind its success will be wholly dependent on the availability of charging points. {And I probably won't be able to afford one so will be 'stuck' with something more "boring" in any case ... :P ]

While the iPace is all electric, Jaguars claim of being 'electric' by 2020 is simply that they will have an electric or hybrid option for each new model by then ... I think.

Phillip I think the Ipace stunning as it looks probably won't be on my drive. My plan is to sit back and see what happens over the next year or two and keep my boring but hugely competent Rav... nearly 4 years old now with 22K miles it's got some life left in it....
Cars seem to have taken a back seat for a while where once I loved them and changed so often it was silly.. But I'm nearing completion of the bungalow so hope to have a bit more time for playing !! :s_thumbsup

Your right of course all manufacturers will be saying the same thing.

I was talking to the guys at DNA who are Toyota trained and they say the Toyota Hybrid set up is the best currently out there. They did explain the set up but it lost me to be honest as it's a very technical machine!
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:01 pm

I still can't get my head round the looks of the modern Jaguar range :s_scratchhead

A few days ago I parked next to a Jaguar, it was a V8 and was the kind of shape Arthur Daley drove in Minder. To me, THAT is what a Jaguar is, not some diesel powered thing, but long and low and mean with twin round headlights :s_cool
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:19 pm

Hoovie wrote:I still can't get my head round the looks of the modern Jaguar range :s_scratchhead

A few days ago I parked next to a Jaguar, it was a V8 and was the kind of shape Arthur Daley drove in Minder. To me, THAT is what a Jaguar is, not some diesel powered thing, but long and low and mean with twin round headlights :s_cool

Have you driven one of them Diesel things ??? My XF had 315 BHP 700 NM of torque and did 0 to 60 in s fraction over 5 secs and returned 40 MPG...... My Rav cannot return that MPG even on a good day.

I've had Jags and Daimlers over the years and good as they were the older ones are outdated now so why would they build them ? Current range is stunning and the sales figures and simply huge success of JLR more than proves that!
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:23 pm

nah,
Don't get me wrong, I am sure they are supremely brilliant as cars. I am just saying about the looks I like the old style jaguars way more (and just don't think a diesel rattle suits a luxury car)
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:55 pm

Have to agree to some extent... away back in the eighties I was into Jags in a big way. I had an XJ 4.2 followed by a Daimler Double six with the V12 5.3 litre engine

Epic cars with an epic driving experience. Fuel consumption mattered not which was just as well :D .... But today's twin turbo oil burners would leave even the V12 for dead ! But back then sat low as we did in those cars looking down that endless bonnet we were as happy as Larry...

I had an old Daimler 250 V8 which was Daimlers version of the Mk2 Jag but it was a nag. It had dark red leather armchairs and Walnut everywhere.. Magical :D
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Return to Car Talk