Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

How to adjust lifters...

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

How to adjust lifters...

PostPosted by Endrikatro » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:05 am

Hello.
Long story short. I have a toyota rav4 2.2l engine 2ad-ftv 2007. We had to remove the valve cover ,removed the camshafts and than the lifters. They are 3rd generation lifters. We cleaned the inside of the lifters bleeding in diesel and than soaked in oil but did not fill with oil (prime them...if this is the correct word). The mechanic told me that these lifters are self adjustable. We mounted the camshafts,the chain and everything is ok.
But i hear ticking noise coming from the lifters. Can anyone tell me if what we did was right or wrong. Some people say that we should prime the lifters before mounting in the engine.Some say that you should not prime the lifters.

Also if anyone here knows what can I do to help these lifters to adjust.I have read that for the camshafts,you need to load the engine in 2000-3000 rpm for 20 min for oil pressure to build up at he right level. Does this system work?

Thank you.
Endrikatro

Re: How to adjust lifters...

PostPosted by anchorman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Your really need to go to a main dealer and borrow a special tool for getting air out of the adjusters. You submerge the lifter in oil then insert a pin down the hole in the middle to lift the ball off the seat while you work the plunger through the full stroke. You could make something I guess but without dimensions it wouldn’t be easy. The tool number is SST 09276-75010
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by anchorman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:16 pm

No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by Endrikatro » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:24 pm

So i need to remove the air,fill with oil before mounting them? Or mount without full with oil?
Endrikatro

PostPosted by anchorman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:35 pm

Endrikatro wrote:So i need to remove the air,fill with oil before mounting them? Or mount without full with oil?

Submerge them in oil to ensure no air goes in then push the ball off the seat while working the plunger. I took this photo from the manual for you;

And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Return to SUV Technical Q & A