Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

OEM Heated Seat problem

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

OEM Heated Seat problem

PostPosted by yerbs » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi all

Bit of a strange one and puzzling me completely.

We have a 61 Reg Rav4 with heated seats fitted as standard, since we have had the car the seats haven't heated as well as other brands we have, but doing some timings, they are coming on for 2 minutes.. heat up, then go off again for 20 minutes, before heating again. This just isn't right and the seats get cold before they start to heat again. Both seats do the same !

The pads and switch must be ok, otherwise they wouldn't work in the first place, so I assume it is a thermostat built into the seats (?), has anyone had this before ? Can this be fixed easily / cost effectively, or is this going to turn into a major costs which won't be worth it ? Is there a timer relay for the heated seats ? The good old manual says as basic as,"use the switch to turn them on", there is a fuse labelled as Heated Seats, but nothing else I can find in the manual or online

Mr T has allegedly looked at it and done a test drive to find there is no issue, but as it was a saturday service, I'm not at all convinced that they didn't do a 2 minute test which wouldn't have the issue anyway.

Thanks for any help

D
Rav 4.3 XT-R Nav
previous 55 Plate XT-R (diesel) and 54 Plate Granite (petrol)
yerbs
Club Regular
Club Regular

Primary Vehicle: Rav4.3 Nav
Year: 2011
Trim Level: XT-R
Fuel Type: Diesel

Re: OEM Heated Seat problem

PostPosted by Davrav » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:51 pm

Is the operation of the seats related to ambient temperature, i.e they only heat for an extended period when ambient is below a certain threshold?
RAV4 Drivers Club - For all things RAV4 and much, much more!
Davrav
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 4.3
Year: 2008
Trim Level: XTR+
Other Vehicle: Mitsubishi ASX
Year: 2017
Trim: Auto

PostPosted by yerbs » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:21 pm

Never known it in other cars, and i'm pretty sure it's problem throughout the year. Does yours have Heated Seats ? Any chance you could give it a go when you go out next (for fear of making it a warm and uncomfortable ride ;-))
Rav 4.3 XT-R Nav
yerbs
Club Regular
Club Regular

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:25 pm

Don't think there is any ambient temp sensor for them. Reckon there is a fault personally.
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by yerbs » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:42 am

Does anyone know how they work ? any idea where to get the tech diagrams / part list for the seats ?

Thanks
Rav 4.3 XT-R Nav
yerbs
Club Regular
Club Regular

PostPosted by Phaeton » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:07 am

Not sure it's any help but we have them in an 07 XT5 as far as I know they just come on & stay on, so much so I have to manually turn off as they do get uncomfortably warm for me, alhough SWMBO seems to like them & keeps hers on far longer than mine. Wiring diagrams sorry no idea, have you looked into what the handbook says?
Phaeton
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.3
Year: 2007
Trim Level: XT5
Other Vehicle: Auris, Funbuggy

PostPosted by Hoovie » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:31 am

Is the vehicle in warranty?
If the answer is no, then I would forget ANY thoughts of getting a Toyota Dealer to look at this! It is not a common issue, so you will be paying £100/Hr for them to be watching a heater warm up. Then if they do confirm it is an issue, it will be a repair at a silly price as almost certainly involve replacing the heater elements/pads in the seat (Dealers never repair anything nowadays, they just swap stuff as less technical (cheaper staff to pay) and more profitable), plus the time stripping and refitting covers.
If you want the seats working, one option is to buy replacements from a breakers, or fit after-market seat heaters. I installed some Waeco Heated Seat pads in my 2005 RAV4 when I got the seats retrimmed - they were £120 for the pair. Toyotas price for the heater seat option was £600 each!

If the vehicle is in Extended Warranty, first check this fault is covered - not all are, and Toyota charge diagnosis fees which are only removed when a fault is confirmed AND covered.
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by NickB75 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:58 pm

I use my heated seats every day unless it's particularly warm day as I have a bad back and the heat helps.
They heat up at least 3x during my 25min commute,seem to be hot for 5mins then cool for about 5mins
NickB75
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV4
Year: 2010
Trim Level: X-TR
Fuel Type: Heavy Oil

PostPosted by yerbs » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks all. Getting an independent to have a quick look next week, I will let you know in case anyone is interested in the future.
Rav 4.3 XT-R Nav
yerbs
Club Regular
Club Regular

Return to SUV Technical Q & A