Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Brake pedal fault

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Brake pedal fault

PostPosted by rayyzfr1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:55 pm

Hi, just got my 2001 gen 2 today, it is a 2.0 vvti auto lwb model
Driving home today every now again, about 15 times during a 50 mile trip the brake pedal pulsed once with a squeeling noise, this happened both when i was stopped at traffic lights, junctions etc and a few times while actually braking to stop or slow down. This would only last for a second, one pulse of the pedal.
Would anyone know if this is a common fault or not, i have no warning lights on the dash
rayyzfr1

Re: Brake pedal fault

PostPosted by Uncle bob » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:46 am

New one on me :s_scratchhead just a possibility that the abs sensors on the wheel hubs have a rust build up and need to be cleaned.
Past Rav4's owned......
1996 import 3 door RAV4 J type.
2004 XT3 3 door.
RAV4 DRIVERS CLUB. The number one choice for UK Rav4 owners.
My big jobs thread....post15823.html#p15823
Uncle bob
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Lexus
Year: 2003
Trim Level: SC430
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: Toyota Aygo
Year: 2006
Trim: Sport

PostPosted by nickcc » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:37 pm

After fitting new calipers and pads I still get the squeal from the front brakes. Fitting anti vibration shims would probably help but, to be honest, I've just learned to live with it.
RAV4 2.0 VVT-I XTR auto November 2005.
nickcc
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV 4.2
Year: 2005

PostPosted by rayyzfr1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:03 pm

Thanks, the discs and pads have just been replaced but this is not brake squeel, this is a noise coming from what sounds like in the cabin and the brake pedal moves up and down very quickly just once, no noise from the brakes themselves
rayyzfr1

PostPosted by anchorman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:25 pm

Correct. Probably the reason why your car was sold. It's the ABS pump modulating. It's probably a broken exciter ring or faulty sensor. It thinks a wheel is locked up.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by rayyzfr1 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:58 pm

Thanks anchorman, i have just bought an icarsoft i950 to check for any fault codes, the car does not have any after checking. The brake pads and discs have just been replaced so i am thinking you are right about a broken or damaged abs ring, will check those out next
rayyzfr1

PostPosted by anchorman » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:38 pm

rayyzfr1 wrote:Thanks anchorman, i have just bought an icarsoft i950 to check for any fault codes, the car does not have any after checking. The brake pads and discs have just been replaced so i am thinking you are right about a broken or damaged abs ring, will check those out next

You won't get fault codes out of the ABS on an early RAV. It's messy to be honest. It might involve all the hubs down to check the rings. If one is particularly dirty, look at that first and check all the leads and connections for anything obvious.
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by rayyzfr1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:42 pm

Many thanks anchorman, how can i get access to a workshop manual to check on how to do it, when i click on the forum to see that particular bit i cannot see a link to any manuals
rayyzfr1

PostPosted by anchorman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:49 am

The manuals don’t tell you much. You can visibly check the exited rings although its a proper ball ache to get at them. However, if you pay somebody else to do it the it gets expensive. As for the sensors, try googling but some will give off a small voltage if you spin the wheel and some might show up a value if you do a resistance check or even continuity. They are all a bit different and as its a rare fault, I don’t know which is on the RAV. If there is a crack or a tooth missing off an exciter it will cause your problem.

And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Return to SUV Technical Q & A