Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

WINTER TYRES FOR NORMAL USE.....?

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

Re: WINTER TYRES FOR NORMAL USE.....?

PostPosted by Big Kev » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:31 am

Just to clarify....I do NOT have the Yokohama WINTER tyres anymore....some wee Brummy git stole them off me on a visit to This Scotland. I am actually enquiring re. tyres to REPLACE Yokohama all weathers I have on when they go doned, and two are getting a wee bit time barred anywayhowz......long story.....
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SR Auto
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2004
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

PostPosted by anchorman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:55 am

CharlieFarlie wrote:
anchorman wrote:The Michies are the only purpose designed winter and summer tyre I think. Wasn't brain using them?

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/micheli ... limate-suv

Quatracs are to young Donald.. I believe there are a few of the dual climate tyres now. When you look at the Quatracs they look far more like winters than summers.

I really believe any of the top brands will be absolutely spot on ! It comes down to brand preference. :s_thumbsup

It's certainly a consideration now Charlie as this new CX-5 is fitted with active TPMS so swapping to winters is more complicated now. My 225/55 19s are a gash size though.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by philip42h » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:20 am

anchorman wrote:
CharlieFarlie wrote:
anchorman wrote:The Michies are the only purpose designed winter and summer tyre I think. Wasn't brain using them?

Quatracs are to young Donald.. I believe there are a few of the dual climate tyres now. When you look at the Quatracs they look far more like winters than summers.

I really believe any of the top brands will be absolutely spot on ! It comes down to brand preference. :s_thumbsup

It's certainly a consideration now Charlie as this new CX-5 is fitted with active TPMS so swapping to winters is more complicated now. My 225/55 19s are a gash size though.

... and the CrossClimates are not available in 235/55 R18 as fitted to RAVs with 18 inch wheels so they are not a real option for some of us. The nearest size in CrossClimates would be 235/60 R18, I think, but I doubt that would do.

I'm eyeing up the Nokian Weatherproofs myself ...
Philip
philip42h
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.4 Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Icon

PostPosted by anchorman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:58 am

I'll be checking out Charlie's Vreidersteins. :s_thumbsup
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:49 pm

philip42h wrote:
anchorman wrote:
CharlieFarlie wrote:

... and the CrossClimates are not available in 235/55 R18 as fitted to RAVs with 18 inch wheels so they are not a real option for some of us. The nearest size in CrossClimates would be 235/60 R18, I think, but I doubt that would do.

I'm eyeing up the Nokian Weatherproofs myself ...

Our CRV has smaller wheels so 225/65 R17 106V CrossClimate XL All Season were fitted. I don't think they have been available in that size for long so may be worth checking for other sizes in the future. In truth I will only know if they are any good if we have some significant snow this winter! But a proper all season tyre seems a good idea unless you have the facilities for swapping between summer and winter tyres, and do a high enough mileage for them to wear a bit before they perish with age!
RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 forum in the UK!

Previous owner of LC3, RAV 4.3 2.2 diesel and 4.3 XT4 2.0 petrol, and many other Toyotas!

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Honda CRV Auto
Trim Level: SE+
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: Honda Jazz CVT
Trim: EX

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:04 pm

If the standard size is 235/55 and you can get 235/60 in Cross-Climates, if it were me I would not hesitate!
Slightly larger circumference = lower RPM at chosen speed; greater profile = better compliance over potholes; plus abilities of Cross-Climates makes it a done-deal in my book.

FWIW, I have just swapped from 195 to a 215 tyres with the same profile on my new camper for all the reasons above, plus using the best Michelin tyre available for my type of vehicle.

The sizes are nominal to a degree anyway. When I swapped out the standard Bridgstones to the Winter Contis (identical size) on the RAV 150SR the speedo went from over reading by 3-4% to being spot on. That is more difference (I think) than between a 235/55 and a 235/60 tyre.
Last edited by Hoovie on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Correct "less" to "more"!
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:21 am

Hoovie wrote:If the standard size is 235/55 and you can get 235/60 in Cross-Climates, if it were me I would not hesitate!
Slightly larger circumference = lower RPM at chosen speed; greater profile = better compliance over potholes; plus abilities of Cross-Climates makes it a done-deal in my book.

FWIW, I have just swapped from 195 to a 215 tyres with the same profile on my new camper for all the reasons above, plus using the best Michelin tyre available for my type of vehicle.

The sizes are nominal to a degree anyway. When I swapped out the standard Bridgstones to the Winter Contis (identical size) on the RAV 150SR the speedo went from over reading by 3-4% to being spot on. That is more difference (I think) than between a 235/55 and a 235/60 tyre.

I too would not hesitate in such a small profile change...
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..

PostPosted by philip42h » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:40 am

CharlieFarlie wrote:
Hoovie wrote:If the standard size is 235/55 and you can get 235/60 in Cross-Climates, if it were me I would not hesitate!

I too would not hesitate in such a small profile change...

True enough. The actual difference in diameter is around 3.2% (one inch) meaning the the speedo will under-read the actual speed by 3.2% (compared to what it did before) - so it will still overstate the actual speed but not by so much. The other thing to check would be clearances under the wheel arch particularly when turning / fully-laden / going over bumps but that probably shouldn't be a concern on the RAV since there's generally a good amount of clearance in the first place ..
Philip
philip42h
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.4 Auto
Trim Level: Icon

Previous

Return to Car Talk