Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Reprogramming an old key to a different car

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Reprogramming an old key to a different car

PostPosted by steverav4me » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:12 am

I have a fully functioning key for my RAV. In addition, I will shortly have another (used) key that was from another 'Toyota', not my car. I will get a new plastic case and blade cut for it to use with my RAV. I will then need to reprogram it. I found these instruction on the internet: http://www.programyourkeys.com/Toyota.html

As you will see, the procedure is very idiosyncratic, and unfortunately it is slightly ambiguous in places. Given what I want to; reprogram an old, already programmed key to work with my car, which of the program modes - 6A, B or C do I need to follow in those instructions? Actually, it's not C so that leaves A or B. Taken in isolation, the A description seems to be the one, then you read B and you're not sure any more! Also it (B) says "(the) mode which will erase all previously programmed remotes and allow you to program new ones." ? Hmm, that use of the word "all" frightens me though - I don't want my existing key to be erased do I? I'm thinking it's a bit of bad English and their use of the word "all" would be better served with "any" or even "a", ie a previously programmed remote can be erased ? But anyway, that still leaves me unsure whether A or B is the procedure. Has anyone done this? What do you think?

Also, which/where is the master door lock switch ?
steverav4me
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.2 D-4D 5dr
Year: 2005
Trim Level: XT3
Fuel Type: Diesel

Re: Reprogramming an old key to a different car

PostPosted by Uncle bob » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:11 pm

I found the sequence to do my old Lexus key but didn't think I'd remember, so got the guy at the key cutting/car security shop to do it for me :)
Past Rav4's owned......
1996 import 3 door RAV4 J type.
2004 XT3 3 door.
RAV4 DRIVERS CLUB. The number one choice for UK Rav4 owners.
My big jobs thread....post15823.html#p15823
Uncle bob
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Lexus
Year: 2003
Trim Level: SC430
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: Toyota Aygo
Year: 2006
Trim: Sport

PostPosted by RAVAsher » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:37 pm

I did this with our old 4.2
We bought a key from a local breakers and he took the fin out programmed it to my car and I just put it into a new blade and casing we’d boughtboff eBay.
IIRCtheres alimit of 3 keys I think
Formally knows as "Yaris781"
It's better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you are not!!

fully charged ready to go now. wireless charging can be recharged on the go without looking for a PowerPoint
RAVAsher
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.3
Trim Level: T180
Other Vehicle: Rav 4
Year: 2002
Trim: 2.0 VVTi VX

PostPosted by steverav4me » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:51 pm

Thanks guys. Yes I can take it to someone else to program if needs be. Otherwise I'm guessing that the sparsity of responses reflects my own view that there is an ambiguity in those two program choices!
steverav4me
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.2 D-4D 5dr
Year: 2005
Trim Level: XT3

PostPosted by Uncle bob » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:11 pm

steverav4me wrote:Thanks guys. Yes I can take it to someone else to program if needs be. Otherwise I'm guessing that the sparsity of responses reflects my own view that there is an ambiguity in those two program choices!

I watched the guy do mine with a sequence of ingnition positions and open/shutting the door and done within the correct time, I would never remember how to do it but give it a go if you feel confident....if it goes belly up then pay to get it done :s_thumbsup
Past Rav4's owned......
1996 import 3 door RAV4 J type.
2004 XT3 3 door.
RAV4 DRIVERS CLUB. The number one choice for UK Rav4 owners.
My big jobs thread....post15823.html#p15823
Uncle bob
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Lexus
Year: 2003
Trim Level: SC430
Other Vehicle: Toyota Aygo
Trim: Sport