Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Low power and black smoke

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Low power and black smoke

PostPosted by Barron » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum as I need to ask a question to some people who know a lot more than me.

I recently purchased a 2007 2.2 D4D Rav4 with 69k on the clock. The car seemed to drive fine however today I have realised that there is a lack of power when accelerating up until the turbo kicks in, meaning I have to keep it in a low gear otherwise it gets bogged down. This caught me out a few times when I've tried to pull away briskly. When accelerating harder a ploom of black smoke comes out of the exhaust.

I know that the car has a leaking fuel filler pipe which is being replaced by the dealer, however, could this be contributing to low fuel pressure and therefore lack of power and smoke or is the reason for this something else?

Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Barron
Barron

Re: Low power and black smoke

PostPosted by ROGER_37 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:33 pm

:welcome Barron :s_howdy
ROGER_37
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV4
Year: 2011
Trim Level: XT-R
Fuel Type: 2.2 DIESEL

PostPosted by Barron » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:20 pm

Hi Roger,

Further to my last, the engine is sluggish until just under 3000rpm then it comes to life.
Barron

PostPosted by anchorman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Welcome to the forum.

The fuel pipe is not related. Take the air filter out and try again.

As with all these engine problems I advise to change the fuel filter.

I doubt there's anything serious with it.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by Barron » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Hi Anchorman,

Car is booked in for a full service on Wednesday, is this covered in that? Will take out the air filter and try now. Coolant was also well below low but car wasnt overheating at all. Cheers for the advice mate
Barron

PostPosted by Barron » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:48 pm

Anchorman,

Adding the coolant hasn't changed anything and removing the air filter did not change anything other than make the turbo spool louder, good idea though. I did notice however when my car starts it says "Rav 4" then "initial check - VSC and 4x4" with a spanner next to them. Is this normal? Please see attached photo!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barron

PostPosted by anchorman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:15 am

Yes, normal, it's just doing a self check.

Buy a blank for the EGR pipe off eBay. That's the only other one that fits your symptoms.
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by Barron » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:46 am

Cheers mate, I've bought an egr valve, the missus is gonna get some carb cleaner from her work and I'll give it a go and post and update for any other unlucky sods like me
Barron

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:24 am

Barron wrote:Cheers mate, I've bought an egr valve, the missus is gonna get some carb cleaner from her work and I'll give it a go and post and update for any other unlucky sods like me

Don't worry your not the first or only one !!! Give that EGR a really good clean. Kit would be interning to see some pictures of the state of it if you can ?
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Year: 2012
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..

PostPosted by anchorman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:25 am

Barron wrote:Cheers mate, I've bought an egr valve, the missus is gonna get some carb cleaner from her work and I'll give it a go and post and update for any other unlucky sods like me

You've bough a new or second hand EGR? I once messed with an EGR that appeared to be clean and working but it wasn't until we blocked it off. It didn't happen every time but now and again it would black out the car behind if you were pushing it through the gears. All I'm saying is, beware if it still does it with a second hand valve. :s_thumbsup

And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Next

Return to SUV Technical Q & A