Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Low power and black smoke

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Re: Low power and black smoke

PostPosted by Hoovie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:39 am

anchorman wrote:Yes, normal, it's just doing a self check.

Buy a blank for the EGR pipe off eBay. That's the only other one that fits your symptoms.

And make sure it has a good gasket!

I bought a blanking kit off eBay for my VW and the gasket burnt away after about 400 miles (fortunately the VW mechanic at the dealership found the problem instantly and bought a new VW gasket to replace it)
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by Barron » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:20 am

anchorman wrote:
Barron wrote:Cheers mate, I've bought an egr valve, the missus is gonna get some carb cleaner from her work and I'll give it a go and post and update for any other unlucky sods like me

You've bough a new or second hand EGR? I once messed with an EGR that appeared to be clean and working but it wasn't until we blocked it off. It didn't happen every time but now and again it would black out the car behind if you were pushing it through the gears. All I'm saying is, beware if it still does it with a second hand valve. :s_thumbsup

No new EGR just gonna give it a good scrub, fingers crossed as this lag and slow take off from a standing start is a little dangerous, I've moved from my 200hp BMW S1000RR to this!
Barron

PostPosted by Barron » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:21 am

Hoovie wrote:
anchorman wrote:Yes, normal, it's just doing a self check.

Buy a blank for the EGR pipe off eBay. That's the only other one that fits your symptoms.

And make sure it has a good gasket!

I bought a blanking kit off eBay for my VW and the gasket burnt away after about 400 miles (fortunately the VW mechanic at the dealership found the problem instantly and bought a new VW gasket to replace it)

Cheers mate, it's a blanking kit off eBay so I won't hold my breath
Barron

PostPosted by NickB75 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:44 pm

Egr blanking plate is easy to fabricate,I thought about doing this,but I think on the later Rav4.3s they would need to be mapped out, like DPFs do.
NickB75
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV4
Year: 2010
Trim Level: X-TR
Fuel Type: Heavy Oil

PostPosted by Hoovie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:48 pm

NickB75 wrote:Egr blanking plate is easy to fabricate,I thought about doing this,but I think on the later Rav4.3s they would need to be mapped out, like DPFs do.

As I understand it, you cannot blank an EGR if you have an active DPF otherwise it really screws things up!
I am very relieved to be going to vehicles without DPFs now. Just a nightmare.
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by NickB75 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:05 pm

Fortunately my 2010 Rav just avoided the DPF. DPFs are probably one of the worst inventions made.
I was looking at the insides of a DPF yesterday it was so clogged I'm surprised the Van run. The insides were removed,DPF welded back up and fitted including the sensors. Then the DPF was deleted from the vans ecu. The van ran really well post delete. DPFs are flawed by design as the vehicle uses loads of extra fuel to do a cycle,which isn't particularly environmentally friendly. Some DPFs like fitted on certain Mazda's dump unburned diesel into the vehicles oil sump if the cycle doesn't complete.
Continental have designed a new electrically heated Catalytic converter that causes a cleaner burn than DPFs or Adblue etc,but would be more reliable and less restrictive by design.
NickB75
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by Barron » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Update

I contacted the car dealer and told him about the issues i have been having wit the Rav4 over the last few days.
1. Black smoke under load
2. Massive turbo lag when pulling away
3. Fuel pipe rotten and needing replacing.
4. Shakey on start up
5. Coolant appearing to be bubbling and steam coming out of port at top of cap

Dealer has said they will take the car in this Sunday and see if they can repair the faults, otherwise they will issue a full refund.

Im half expecting a refund as ive read so many posts about people with my issues and no surefire answers, and im also half excited to see if they are able to fix it as it is a really lovely car.

Will keep you posted.
Barron

PostPosted by NickB75 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:32 pm

That's a very fair offer on behalf of the dealer, I'd be surprised if they fix it with those issues, more likely a refund coming your way.
NickB75
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Previous

Return to SUV Technical Q & A