Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

DMF failing?

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

DMF failing?

PostPosted by NickB75 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:02 pm

Could my DMF be failing? Occasionally the gear changes baulk,there's a sort of whine at all speeds more notable at low speeds. The car at idle sounds like a bag of spanners well very rattly,if I depress the clutch in neutral, the car sounds nice and quiet.
Any thoughts on this will be gratefully received. The car has extended warranty,so I have the option of putting it into dealer. The car's done 62k but I've no idea how it was driven in the past before my ownership.
NickB75
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV4
Year: 2010
Trim Level: X-TR
Fuel Type: Heavy Oil

Re: DMF failing?

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:22 am

NickB75 wrote:Could my DMF be failing? Occasionally the gear changes baulk,there's a sort of whine at all speeds more notable at low speeds. The car at idle sounds like a bag of spanners well very rattly,if I depress the clutch in neutral, the car sounds nice and quiet.
Any thoughts on this will be gratefully received. The car has extended warranty,so I have the option of putting it into dealer. The car's done 62k but I've no idea how it was driven in the past before my ownership.

There is nearly always some chatter from the two boxes the gearbox of transfer box. On some cars noticeable others not.

These gearchange issues respond well to changing the oils in both boxes and the diff plus carefull adjustment of the gear change cables. Few techs seem to be able to get it spot on others often need a try or two.

It could be the DMF but that would be extremely rare on a later 4.3.

How many miles Nick ?
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Year: 2012
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..

PostPosted by NickB75 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:06 pm

CharlieFarlie wrote:
NickB75 wrote:Could my DMF be failing? Occasionally the gear changes baulk,there's a sort of whine at all speeds more notable at low speeds. The car at idle sounds like a bag of spanners well very rattly,if I depress the clutch in neutral, the car sounds nice and quiet.

There is nearly always some chatter from the two boxes the gearbox of transfer box. On some cars noticeable others not.

These gearchange issues respond well to changing the oils in both boxes and the diff plus carefull adjustment of the gear change cables. Few techs seem to be able to get it spot on others often need a try or two.

How many miles Nick ?

Thanks for the reply Charlie, it's done 62k. It's never towed but I can't tell if its had a hard life.
I could get the oil changed and go from there. I read some where I need GL5 75W oil for the gearbox.
NickB75
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:56 pm

NickB75 wrote:
CharlieFarlie wrote:

How many miles Nick ?

Thanks for the reply Charlie, it's done 62k. It's never towed but I can't tell if its had a hard life.
I could get the oil changed and go from there. I read some where I need GL5 75W oil for the gearbox.

The correct oil is critical that's for sure but sorry I can't remember the grades.

When I had the engine changed in my old car it was returned to me with a notcheyer change than before. I took it back and the tech adjusted the drove it then adjusted again. He then said it was better and returned the keys. Wow what a difference ! It was far better than it had ever been and was really very good. He had explained that it can take some sorting to get it absolutely spot on. So it's well worth pisuing .

62K is nothing so I doubt very much if it's anything other than the usual chatter which now you've heard it likely sounds like a bag of bolts. :s_thumbsup
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..

PostPosted by NickB75 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:44 pm

Symptoms seem to be manifesting now, on cold start up when I engage 1st there's a thud,when I disengage 1st again there's a thud with a metallic rattle more so under load. Once engine is warmed up it settles down a bit,the higher gears are fine and no knocks or signs of a slipping clutch.
I've had the gearbox oil replaced last week with Toyota Spec oil,no difference. I was however pleased to not that the old oil was quite clear still and free of swarf or any crud.
Maybe it's time for a trip to Toyota for an opinion, I guess they'll have some kind of DMF test procedure.
NickB75
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by Hoovie » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:31 am

The "is my DMF failing test" on VW T5s (where they ALL fail sooner or later) is to reverse up a hill.
I would imagine the same test would apply to any vehicle?
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by NickB75 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks I'll give it a go tomorrow. I'm still going to let local dealer do a cold start and try clutch for themselves,if they say knocking and rattle is OK,then I'll accept it. The cars under warranty till July 2019
NickB75
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by Big Kev » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:46 pm

NickB75 wrote:Thanks I'll give it a go tomorrow. I'm still going to let local dealer do a cold start and try clutch for themselves,if they say knocking and rattle is OK,then I'll accept it. The cars under warranty till July 2019

Knocking and rattle NOT OK IN THE LEAST, Nick......polite but firm when they say no fault found....stock answer......warranties R us.........
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Trim Level: SR Auto
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2004
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

PostPosted by NickB75 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:11 pm

Toyota approved used. The car was returned within 2 weeks ,I told them I wasn't happy, dealer said it was same as the other one they had in stock, so deemed it a characteristic. Well I'm not driving 2hrs back to that dealer. I'll take car to local Toyota dealer, at least if anything it's a second opinion.
It will knock and rattle from cold,less so from warm. So maybe I'll drop it off at dealer the night before.
Thank though BigKev you're right I will need to stick to my guns, if dealer doesn't play ball.
NickB75
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by Big Kev » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:35 pm

NickB75 wrote:Toyota approved used. The car was returned within 2 weeks ,I told them I wasn't happy, dealer said it was same as the other one they had in stock, so deemed it a characteristic. Well I'm not driving 2hrs back to that dealer. I'll take car to local Toyota dealer, at least if anything it's a second opinion.
It will knock and rattle from cold,less so from warm. So maybe I'll drop it off at dealer the night before.
Thank though BigKev you're right I will need to stick to my guns, if dealer doesn't play ball.

Spot on Nick.....night before is a prerequisite since the symptoms manifest mainly from cold. Sumfink is amiss, but DMF on your year very unusual.
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Trim Level: SR Auto
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2004
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

Next