Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals


DMF failing?

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

DMF failing?

PostPosted by NickB75 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:02 pm

Could my DMF be failing? Occasionally the gear changes baulk,there's a sort of whine at all speeds more notable at low speeds. The car at idle sounds like a bag of spanners well very rattly,if I depress the clutch in neutral, the car sounds nice and quiet.
Any thoughts on this will be gratefully received. The car has extended warranty,so I have the option of putting it into dealer. The car's done 62k but I've no idea how it was driven in the past before my ownership.
NickB75
Club Regular
Club Regular
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:05 pm
Real Name: Nick
Primary Vehicle: RAV4
Year: 2010
Trim Level: X-TR
Fuel Type: Heavy Oil
Country: United Kingdom

Re: DMF failing?

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:22 am

NickB75 wrote:Could my DMF be failing? Occasionally the gear changes baulk,there's a sort of whine at all speeds more notable at low speeds. The car at idle sounds like a bag of spanners well very rattly,if I depress the clutch in neutral, the car sounds nice and quiet.
Any thoughts on this will be gratefully received. The car has extended warranty,so I have the option of putting it into dealer. The car's done 62k but I've no idea how it was driven in the past before my ownership.


There is nearly always some chatter from the two boxes the gearbox of transfer box. On some cars noticeable others not.

These gearchange issues respond well to changing the oils in both boxes and the diff plus carefull adjustment of the gear change cables. Few techs seem to be able to get it spot on others often need a try or two.

It could be the DMF but that would be extremely rare on a later 4.3.

How many miles Nick ?
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
User avatar
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator
 
Posts: 7806
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:34 pm
Location: In the hills of Herefordshire......
Real Name: Charlie
Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Year: 2012
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..
Country: UK

Re: DMF failing?

PostPosted by NickB75 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:06 pm

CharlieFarlie wrote:
NickB75 wrote:Could my DMF be failing? Occasionally the gear changes baulk,there's a sort of whine at all speeds more notable at low speeds. The car at idle sounds like a bag of spanners well very rattly,if I depress the clutch in neutral, the car sounds nice and quiet.
Any thoughts on this will be gratefully received. The car has extended warranty,so I have the option of putting it into dealer. The car's done 62k but I've no idea how it was driven in the past before my ownership.


There is nearly always some chatter from the two boxes the gearbox of transfer box. On some cars noticeable others not.

These gearchange issues respond well to changing the oils in both boxes and the diff plus carefull adjustment of the gear change cables. Few techs seem to be able to get it spot on others often need a try or two.

It could be the DMF but that would be extremely rare on a later 4.3.

How many miles Nick ?


Thanks for the reply Charlie, it's done 62k. It's never towed but I can't tell if its had a hard life.
I could get the oil changed and go from there. I read some where I need GL5 75W oil for the gearbox.
NickB75
Club Regular
Club Regular
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:05 pm
Real Name: Nick
Primary Vehicle: RAV4
Year: 2010
Trim Level: X-TR
Fuel Type: Heavy Oil
Country: United Kingdom

Re: DMF failing?

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:56 pm

NickB75 wrote:
CharlieFarlie wrote:
NickB75 wrote:Could my DMF be failing? Occasionally the gear changes baulk,there's a sort of whine at all speeds more notable at low speeds. The car at idle sounds like a bag of spanners well very rattly,if I depress the clutch in neutral, the car sounds nice and quiet.
Any thoughts on this will be gratefully received. The car has extended warranty,so I have the option of putting it into dealer. The car's done 62k but I've no idea how it was driven in the past before my ownership.


There is nearly always some chatter from the two boxes the gearbox of transfer box. On some cars noticeable others not.

These gearchange issues respond well to changing the oils in both boxes and the diff plus carefull adjustment of the gear change cables. Few techs seem to be able to get it spot on others often need a try or two.

It could be the DMF but that would be extremely rare on a later 4.3.

How many miles Nick ?


Thanks for the reply Charlie, it's done 62k. It's never towed but I can't tell if its had a hard life.
I could get the oil changed and go from there. I read some where I need GL5 75W oil for the gearbox.


The correct oil is critical that's for sure but sorry I can't remember the grades.

When I had the engine changed in my old car it was returned to me with a notcheyer change than before. I took it back and the tech adjusted the drove it then adjusted again. He then said it was better and returned the keys. Wow what a difference ! It was far better than it had ever been and was really very good. He had explained that it can take some sorting to get it absolutely spot on. So it's well worth pisuing .

62K is nothing so I doubt very much if it's anything other than the usual chatter which now you've heard it likely sounds like a bag of bolts. :s_thumbsup
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
User avatar
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator
 
Posts: 7806
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:34 pm
Location: In the hills of Herefordshire......
Real Name: Charlie
Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Year: 2012
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..
Country: UK


Return to SUV Technical Q & A

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


Interested in being a Club Supporter? Click Here!



Powered by Prophpbb Premium | Report Abuse | Privacy
cron