Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Cruise control

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Cruise control

PostPosted by RAVAsher » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:47 am

Issue with cruise control on 4.3. Returning home from Leeds this evening thought I’d try the cruise. It seemed ok for a while then started flashing I switched it on and off a few times but it still carries on. When we come off the motorway I switched car off and restarted and it came back on and no flashing. However a few minutes later it started flashing again. This time I wasn’t using it but had switched it on and it started flashing again.
Any ideas what it could be?
Formally knows as "Yaris781"
It's better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you are not!!

fully charged ready to go now. wireless charging can be recharged on the go without looking for a PowerPoint
RAVAsher
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.3
Year: 2006
Trim Level: T180
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Rav 4
Year: 2002
Trim: 2.0 VVTi VX
Fuel Type: Petrol

Re: Cruise control

PostPosted by Davrav » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:45 am

Possibly an issue with the brake switch Ash?
Has it been replaced previously?
RAV4 Drivers Club - For all things RAV4 and much, much more!
Davrav
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 4.3
Year: 2008
Trim Level: XTR+
Other Vehicle: Mitsubishi ASX
Year: 2017
Trim: Auto

PostPosted by Hoovie » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:31 pm

Different make but maybe similar problem ....

I had a problem with the Cruise Control on my VW T5 after I installed it (the genuine VW full kit). It was fine for a short run but then would cut out (the cruise, not the car) and the problem was the clutch switch was faulty, and was breaking contact intermittantly when subjected to a shock,like going over a slight bump in the road, and the system detected it as clutch depressed and disenaged.
Long story.... Short Answer ... get the clutch switch checked out as well
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by RAVAsher » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:56 pm

Thanks Dave and Hoovie, no both of those are fine. The handbrake switch did play up a couple of years ago but it’s been fine since. Funnily enough it seems ok now.
As for the cruise control on the 4.2 I find that annoying when you resume it after slowing down it jumps into a lower gear and screams it’s head off until it reaches the cruise speed. Apparently it’s the same with the autos :s_scratchhead
It's better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you are not!!

fully charged ready to go now. wireless charging can be recharged on the go without looking for a PowerPoint
RAVAsher
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by Hoovie » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:36 pm

RAVAsher wrote:Thanks Dave and Hoovie, no both of those are fine. The handbrake switch did play up a couple of years ago but it’s been fine since. Funnily enough it seems ok now.
As for the cruise control on the 4.2 I find that annoying when you resume it after slowing down it jumps into a lower gear and screams it’s head off until it reaches the cruise speed. Apparently it’s the same with the autos :s_scratchhead

I think it is a Toyota 'feature' where it is designed to get back to the set speed ASAP. I tended to not use the cruise that much on my 4.3SR for that reason.
No other make of vehicle I have driven with cruise do that, manual or auto and the Toyota system is quite contrary to what cruise control is about I think.
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by RAVAsher » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:05 am

Hoovie wrote:
RAVAsher wrote:Thanks Dave and Hoovie, no both of those are fine. The handbrake switch did play up a couple of years ago but it’s been fine since. Funnily enough it seems ok now.

I think it is a Toyota 'feature' where it is designed to get back to the set speed ASAP. I tended to not use the cruise that much on my 4.3SR for that reason.
No other make of vehicle I have driven with cruise do that, manual or auto and the Toyota system is quite contrary to what cruise control is about I think.

I had a Honda Accord auto many years ago and the cruise on that car was brilliant. It was silky smooth compared to the Camry my dad had and funnily enough the Camry did the same thing as our 4.2 auto does on cruise so yeah your right must be a Toyota feature which could be updated I suppose :s_scratchhead

RAVAsher
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Return to SUV Technical Q & A