Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals


Hoovies New Ride ....

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

Re: Hoovies New Ride ....

PostPosted by firemac » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:34 pm

Nice car, David. Health to enjoy it. :s_drinks

I loved all my Astras, Cavaliers and Calibras in the past. Never, ever let me down and the SRi versions were really good drivers. Especially liked their ergonomics and the sports seats were sublime. Very good luck with your new wheels. :s_thumbsup
Would you like a Single supplier for all your utilities; Award-winning customer service; Value that’s unbeatable; Easy to switch? Click on the link to hear one of the UK’s best-known & trusted personalities show you how!

http://www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk/wearebillbusters/jointheclub
User avatar
firemac
Club Supporter
Club Supporter
 
Posts: 1456
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:08 pm
Location: S. Cheshire
Real Name: Jim
Primary Vehicle: Saab 9-3
Year: 2010
Trim Level: XWD Auto
Fuel Type: Petrol turbo
Other Vehicle: Saab 9-3
Year: 2011
Trim: 1.8t Linear
Fuel Type: Petrol turbo
Country: UK

Re: Hoovies New Ride ....

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:07 pm

I gotta be honest it's not for me I hate Vauxhalls.

But you like it and that's all that matter. Health to enjoy ! :s_thumbsup
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
User avatar
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator
 
Posts: 7852
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:34 pm
Location: In the hills of Herefordshire......
Real Name: Charlie
Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Year: 2012
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..
Country: UK

Re: Hoovies New Ride ....

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:28 pm

CharlieFarlie wrote:I gotta be honest it's not for me I hate Vauxhalls.

But you like it and that's all that matter. Health to enjoy ! :s_thumbsup


You did like the Mokka ;)

But seriously, different makes go through phases and and at any given time I reckon the range is liked or louthed by a person. The Vauxhalls a while back I would not have given the time of day to. I am not that keen on the current Fords, but the previous family look was really nice IMO. Reverse that for Peugeots .. the new look introduced first in the 308 last year or so look great, but before that had to go back to early 2000's for a looker.
One of your personal favs, Charlie is the Audis... they just didn't work for me until very recently when a few changes were made and now they are good looking motors.

All the above is just my own personal opinion and I don't expect anyone to agree or disagree to any degree as everyone has their own motoring styling cues that work or don't work for them :s_howdy
(And all above are based on looks and nothing else. Shallow or what! :D )
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!


Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
User avatar
Hoovie
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 12244
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:56 pm
Location: Scottish Borders
Real Name: David
Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans
Country: UK

Re: Hoovies New Ride ....

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:24 pm

Fair doos I like the Mokka but as a car for the wife who will kill me if I ever sell her IQ......

They run on fumes them IQs did you know ? Quick as well so quick I got nicked for speeding in my one last week.... Am I the only one ever to get nicked speeding in an IQ ?? :D

Your right we're all different I quite like Fordd. My Dad loved Vauxhalls and had Victors VX490s an Opel Comodore with a 2.8 lump up front but I forgave him cos he traded it in for an XJ6........ :s_thumbsup
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
User avatar
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator
 
Posts: 7852
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:34 pm
Location: In the hills of Herefordshire......
Real Name: Charlie
Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Year: 2012
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..
Country: UK

Re: Hoovies New Ride ....

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:55 pm

I have posted before about always wanting an Opel Manta Coupe (either Berlinetta or GT/E) but one car I have also fancied for longer then I have had a Licence was actually the Vauxhall Victor :Y But it HAD to be the Victor FD. The VX with the potato chopper grill spoilt it for me :(
Maybe my initial love of Vauxhalls was due to driving my Dads Vauxhall Cresta PC on the Autobahn? (I say 'driving' but I was about 3 at the time and sitting on his lap :D )
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!


Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
User avatar
Hoovie
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 12244
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:56 pm
Location: Scottish Borders
Real Name: David
Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans
Country: UK

Re: Hoovies New Ride ....

PostPosted by firemac » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:02 pm

Hoovie wrote:I have posted before about always wanting an Opel Manta Coupe (either Berlinetta or GT/E) but one car I have also fancied for longer then I have had a Licence was actually the Vauxhall Victor :Y But it HAD to be the Victor FD. The VX with the potato chopper grill spoilt it for me :(
Maybe my initial love of Vauxhalls was due to driving my Dads Vauxhall Cresta PC on the Autobahn? (I say 'driving' but I was about 3 at the time and sitting on his lap :D )


I did my test in a FD Victor. It was my uncle's and he let me practice in it regularly (no fancy-pants driving school needed then!!). Afterwards he used to let me borrow it for - ahem - girlfriend duties and the like.....

Later, I had two Mk2 Cavaliers, a GLi and then an SRi in that metallic Champagne colour over matt black lower body with tan/red/yellow fabric and suede sports seats that were brilliant - nearly as good as Recaros. A Mk2 Astra SRi that was a little rocket ship than would burn Golf GTis and XR3is without trying too hard and finally a Calibra which had the loveliest burble from the exhaust of its 2.0 16-valve motor but the lousiest headlights this side of gas wicks! It was a brilliant, comfortable car and despite its coupe styling, was quite practical.

Nice cars and all of them were uber-reliable; I wish I'd had the foresight to hang onto any one of them given their scarcity now (no doubt thanks to scrappage) and increasing values.
Would you like a Single supplier for all your utilities; Award-winning customer service; Value that’s unbeatable; Easy to switch? Click on the link to hear one of the UK’s best-known & trusted personalities show you how!

http://www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk/wearebillbusters/jointheclub
User avatar
firemac
Club Supporter
Club Supporter
 
Posts: 1456
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:08 pm
Location: S. Cheshire
Real Name: Jim
Primary Vehicle: Saab 9-3
Year: 2010
Trim Level: XWD Auto
Fuel Type: Petrol turbo
Other Vehicle: Saab 9-3
Year: 2011
Trim: 1.8t Linear
Fuel Type: Petrol turbo
Country: UK

Re: Hoovies New Ride ....

PostPosted by Two-T » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:56 am

Congratulations! Looks very nice!
User avatar
Two-T
Club Supporter
Club Supporter
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:15 pm
Primary Vehicle: RAV4!
Year: 2014
Trim Level: Invincible
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Corolla
Year: 1999
Trim: GS
Fuel Type: Petrol
Country: UK

Re: Hoovies New Ride ....

PostPosted by Hoovie » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:00 am

DavidWilson wrote:I hope you enjoy your new car - it looks very good. I think the smaller cars offer excellent value for money and are good fun to drive on most roads. :s_thumbsup

Thanks :)
Been non-stop rain since I got home in the car on Friday so not been out in it until yesterday to do some shopping.
Run to the shop is a 5 mile single carriage way country road and the Corsa was good fun to drive on that trip indeed :s_cool only a 1.4 90BHP engine but spot on for my needs TBH :s_howdy


firemac wrote:Nice car, David. Health to enjoy it. :s_drinks

I loved all my Astras, Cavaliers and Calibras in the past. Never, ever let me down and the SRi versions were really good drivers. Especially liked their ergonomics and the sports seats were sublime. Very good luck with your new wheels. :s_thumbsup


I had an old Viva hand-me-down and a Nova, but after that ended up with (BL) Company Cars around the time Vauxhall reinvented themselves with the FWD Astras and Cavaliers, so missed out on probably what were the best mainstream cars of the '80s.
The Mk1 Astra was a great car, especially in GTE form.

I guess you might still be in a Vauxhall now with your SAAB, Jim!?


Two-T wrote:Congratulations! Looks very nice!

Thanks :)
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!


Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
User avatar
Hoovie
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 12244
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:56 pm
Location: Scottish Borders
Real Name: David
Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans
Country: UK

Re: Hoovies New Ride ....

PostPosted by philip42h » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:23 pm

firemac wrote:
Hoovie wrote:I have posted before about always wanting an Opel Manta Coupe (either Berlinetta or GT/E) but one car I have also fancied for longer then I have had a Licence was actually the Vauxhall Victor :Y But it HAD to be the Victor FD. The VX with the potato chopper grill spoilt it for me :(
Maybe my initial love of Vauxhalls was due to driving my Dads Vauxhall Cresta PC on the Autobahn? (I say 'driving' but I was about 3 at the time and sitting on his lap :D )


I did my test in a FD Victor. It was my uncle's and he let me practice in it regularly (no fancy-pants driving school needed then!!). Afterwards he used to let me borrow it for - ahem - girlfriend duties and the like.....

Later, I had two Mk2 Cavaliers, a GLi and then an SRi in that metallic Champagne colour over matt black lower body with tan/red/yellow fabric and suede sports seats that were brilliant - nearly as good as Recaros. A Mk2 Astra SRi that was a little rocket ship than would burn Golf GTis and XR3is without trying too hard and finally a Calibra which had the loveliest burble from the exhaust of its 2.0 16-valve motor but the lousiest headlights this side of gas wicks! It was a brilliant, comfortable car and despite its coupe styling, was quite practical.

Nice cars and all of them were uber-reliable; I wish I'd had the foresight to hang onto any one of them given their scarcity now (no doubt thanks to scrappage) and increasing values.


I passed my test in my Dad's FE Victor - a luminous yellow / orange estate car! And later had a long series of Cavaliers / Vectras as company cars on a 10 month / 10,000 miles basis, whichever came first. To be honest they were ultra reliable and comfortable cars (never out of warranty so they should be) but they were very transient and never mine so I never really cared about any of them and that feeling has persisted for the brand since.
Philip
User avatar
philip42h
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:16 pm
Real Name: Philip
Primary Vehicle: 4.4 Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Icon
Fuel Type: Diesel
Country: UK

Re: Hoovies New Ride ....

PostPosted by firemac » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:34 am

Hoovie wrote:[

I had an old Viva hand-me-down and a Nova, but after that ended up with (BL) Company Cars around the time Vauxhall reinvented themselves with the FWD Astras and Cavaliers, so missed out on probably what were the best mainstream cars of the '80s.
The Mk1 Astra was a great car, especially in GTE form.

I guess you might still be in a Vauxhall now with your SAAB, Jim!?

Thanks :)

The MK1 Astra was something of a groundbreaking car for Vauxhall being it's first fwd hatchback. Nice car with good handling and I agree that the GTE was something else. Read an article on them in a recent Modern Classics mag which said that values are going up and there's apparently only 20 or so left on the road now. Shame. The scrappage scheme post-credit crunch took some great old cars out of circulation. :(

Most people assume that the last 9-3s (& 9-5s) were just rebodied Vauxhall/Opel's but nothing could be further from the truth. For the last 9-3, Saab certainly started with GM's Epsilon platform but by the time they were finished, even the wheel base was different. You only have to close a door on either of our 9-3s to tell that these cars are as far from Vauxhalls as night is from day! The only GM badged parts that I've spotted on the 9-3X are the front brake calipers. And of course Saab's structural safety is second to none.

One of the reasons that GM finally closed Saab down was the Swedes' refusal to simply rebody & re-badge GM's cars. Instead they completely re-engineered the product with the obvious detrimental effect on profits.
Would you like a Single supplier for all your utilities; Award-winning customer service; Value that’s unbeatable; Easy to switch? Click on the link to hear one of the UK’s best-known & trusted personalities show you how!

http://www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk/wearebillbusters/jointheclub
User avatar
firemac
Club Supporter
Club Supporter
 
Posts: 1456
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:08 pm
Location: S. Cheshire
Real Name: Jim
Primary Vehicle: Saab 9-3
Year: 2010
Trim Level: XWD Auto
Fuel Type: Petrol turbo
Other Vehicle: Saab 9-3
Year: 2011
Trim: 1.8t Linear
Fuel Type: Petrol turbo
Country: UK

PreviousNext

Return to Car Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


Interested in being a Club Supporter? Click Here!



Powered by Prophpbb Premium | Report Abuse | Privacy