Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Headlight parts have come loose

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Headlight parts have come loose

PostPosted by steverav4me » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:06 am

My mechanic pointed out to me that there were parts floating around inside the headlights on my RAV. These appear to be crown shaped reflectors that - I'm assuming - normally sit around the main bulb. Please can someone enlighten me as to how or why these have fallen off, and how to refit them ensuring that it does not happen again? Thanks.

BTW, I did just upload photos to Photobucket but it seems they are now charging for the facility, hence it did not work. Anyone suggest a good, free alternative?
steverav4me
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.2 D-4D 5dr
Year: 2005
Trim Level: XT3
Fuel Type: Diesel

Re: Headlight parts have come loose

PostPosted by Hoovie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:12 pm

part 2 ... I am using Flickr now, but quite a few other options

part 1 ... I have this recollection of other people having similar issues and is was down to the parts rusting off? maybe others can confirm/correct/advise but I think answer is new headlights :(
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by philip42h » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:25 pm

Hoovie wrote:part 2 ... I am using Flickr now, but quite a few other options

part 1 ... I have this recollection of other people having similar issues and is was down to the parts rusting off? maybe others can confirm/correct/advise but I think answer is new headlights :(

I thought I remembered it too: Headlight Bulb Shield
Philip
philip42h
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.4 Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Icon

PostPosted by uncle_p » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:36 am

I broke one of these on my 4.2 and repaired it by gluing it back in place. I might have done a post about it... I'll check back in my history and have a look.
uncle_p
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.4
Trim Level: Invincible
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diseasal

PostPosted by uncle_p » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:40 am

Hope this helps..

topic4236.html
uncle_p
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.4
Trim Level: Invincible
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diseasal

PostPosted by steverav4me » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:14 pm

Thanks guys. I've had quotes from various suppliers. One of them sent photos. Problem is, his headlights seem to lack the upper, outer side, well defined oval indicator section that mine have, they just have near vertical 'lines' in the glass. On mine, the outside edge has horizontal 'lines' in the glass only at the bottom, then above, this well defined oval area for the indicator. What's going on? are the ones I'm being offered from an earlier or later RAV4.2? They do say Toyota on them.

(Photobucket not working for me, have to get a new hoster)
steverav4me
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

PostPosted by Big Kev » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:47 pm

steverav4me wrote:Thanks guys. I've had quotes from various suppliers. One of them sent photos. Problem is, his headlights seem to lack the upper, outer side, well defined oval indicator section that mine have, they just have near vertical 'lines' in the glass. On mine, the outside edge has horizontal 'lines' in the glass only at the bottom, then above, this well defined oval area for the indicator. What's going on? are the ones I'm being offered from an earlier or later RAV4.2? They do say Toyota on them.

(Photobucket not working for me, have to get a new hoster)

Steve.....those are pre facelift headlights you are describing.....yours is one of the last 4.2's and has the yella bulb "integral bulgey bit". Those lights NOT suitable....
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SR Auto
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2004
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

PostPosted by steverav4me » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:28 pm

Thanks Kev, that's what I thought.

Ok, I've just been to my local friendly MOT test station and they tested the headlight beam patterns; perfectly fine, no issues, they pass/will pass an MOT. It appears that those crown shaped reflectors that have come adrift are for the purpose of reflecting light coming off the sides of the headlight bulb back towards the main reflector (to increase overall intensity?). They are not for the purpose of actual beam shape or control or anything like that. So, phew. just saved myself a few hundred quid :s_drinks
steverav4me
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

PostPosted by Big Kev » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:42 pm

steverav4me wrote:Thanks Kev, that's what I thought.

Ok, I've just been to my local friendly MOT test station and they tested the headlight beam patterns; perfectly fine, no issues, they pass/will pass an MOT. It appears that those crown shaped reflectors that have come adrift are for the purpose of reflecting light coming off the sides of the headlight bulb back towards the main reflector (to increase overall intensity?). They are not for the purpose of actual beam shape or control or anything like that. So, phew. just saved myself a few hundred quid :s_drinks

.......but I would fear the resultant loss of reflectification may come home to roost in dark winter nights, but like me, if you do little night driving, who cares.....? Maybe upgrade bulbs to offset....?
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SR Auto
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2004
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

PostPosted by steverav4me » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:00 am

Big Kev wrote:
steverav4me wrote:Thanks Kev, that's what I thought.

.......but I would fear the resultant loss of reflectification may come home to roost in dark winter nights, but like me, if you do little night driving, who cares.....? Maybe upgrade bulbs to offset....?

I live in a very dark forest area and I haven't noticed a problem with the effectiveness of my headlights, so no further investigation or work planned on that score. If it ain't broke, don't fix it..

BTW, I just did my annual T-Cut of the headlights to 'de-yellow' them. Always looks loads better when done, takes away the 'tired old car' look!
steverav4me
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Next

Return to SUV Technical Q & A