Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Code readers

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Code readers

PostPosted by mynameisjoe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:44 am

I currently use an opcom reader for my two vauxhalls but as I now have the RAV4 I will be selling them on. Unfortunately the opcom is vauxhall specific so I will be selling it on to help fund a reader for the RAV. Any recommendations for a good unit that's not going to empty my wallet?

TIA

joe
mynameisjoe

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 2.2 D4D
Year: 2007
Trim Level: XT-R

Re: Code readers

PostPosted by RAVAsher » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:06 am

I’m not mechanical minded but on the forum here you can loan a code reader if you need to use one but think you need to be a club supporter.There is a link somewhere.
I’m sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along with any recommendations.
Formally knows as "Yaris781"
It's better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you are not!!

fully charged ready to go now. wireless charging can be recharged on the go without looking for a PowerPoint
RAVAsher
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.3
Year: 2006
Trim Level: T180
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Rav 4
Year: 2002
Trim: 2.0 VVTi VX
Fuel Type: Petrol

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:41 pm

RAVAsher wrote:I’m not mechanical minded but on the forum here you can loan a code reader if you need to use one but think you need to be a club supporter.There is a link somewhere.
I’m sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along with any recommendations.

Needs to be a club supporter and have been a regular member for a while. :s_thumbsup
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Year: 2012
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:44 pm

mynameisjoe wrote:I currently use an opcom reader for my two vauxhalls but as I now have the RAV4 I will be selling them on. Unfortunately the opcom is vauxhall specific so I will be selling it on to help fund a reader for the RAV. Any recommendations for a good unit that's not going to empty my wallet?

TIA

joe

Autel are very good . Make sure it's a genuine not a copy . Budget counts the more you spend the more the capability and areas the tool will be able to interrogate and the more information displayed.
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by mynameisjoe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:45 pm

Yeah that's why I went for the opcom for the vauxhalls i have, it done pretty much everything and paid for itself in no time. Even just getting a spare key coded saved me a small fortune. Will have a look at the one you suggested CF, don't need it right now as no lights on but handy to have when you need them. If anyone needs to read Vauxhall stuff youre more than welcome to get a shot of mine before I try to punt it?
mynameisjoe

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:29 pm

I have the Autel Maxidiag Elite. Interrogates every system including ABS Gearboxes Airbags just about everything. Found a fault on a mates BMW M6 that a Snap On Modus would not nor could not find.

You go through the menus selecting the make model and sometimes get asked for the VIN number. Then let it loose. It even checks things like the audio units ..... Cost about £600 two years ago so expect it to be much cheaper now. Updates are easily downloaded from the Autel website.
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by mynameisjoe » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:51 am

Thanks for the info guys. Will definitely check out the Autel.
EDIT.
I have found a company called autointhebox.com selling that unit for much cheapness. They appear to be genuine but how on earth do you tell? Anyone ever used this company before?

Thanks

Joe
mynameisjoe

PostPosted by mynameisjoe » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:36 am

I emailed autel and they have confirmed that autointhebox.com is an authorised distributor. They are currently doing the maxidiag elite MD802 full for a little over 100 notes and shipping from China in a week or so. Think it might be worth a punt .
mynameisjoe

PostPosted by Phaeton » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:45 pm

mynameisjoe wrote:They appear to be genuine but how on earth do you tell?

Good question I was going to buy one last year but in the end chickened out as I didn't want to buy a clone that you can't update, wasn't from this company though
Phaeton
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.3
Trim Level: XT5
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Auris, Funbuggy
Fuel Type: Petrol

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:09 pm

With the upper end Autel you get the website details so you register and enter the serial number on the unit. By doing so confirms the unit is genuine or you wouldn't have been able to register. One registered you can check the serial number of any Autel product. It does not have to belong to you you just log on and enter any serial number and you will get told if it's genuine. On the same site you can download updates .

I would ask a seller if the unit is genuine and tell them you will be checking the serial number on Autels data base.

I have the MD802 all systems.

The Maxidiag Elite

And the wee Autel scanner that I loan out.

And an inspection camera with a 1 metre cable that allows looking in really difficult places. Inside the bore of an engine for example or behind engines. It also takes videos and of still images and storesbthem on its onboard micro SD card. Brilliant for inspecting insulation in cavitys ect ect.

All have been excellent and reliable. The Maxidiag really is an impressive bit of kit and even I can use it quite easily.
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Return to SUV Technical Q & A