Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

New (to me) Rav4, what to check?

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

New (to me) Rav4, what to check?

PostPosted by mynameisjoe » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:48 pm

Last week I picked up a 2007 2.2 d4d xt-r with 120k on it. Overall it's in pretty good condition for its age and miles. It only has 6 stamps in the book and they were done on a yearly basis as opposed to mileage. The first thing I'll be doing is the usual service with filters and fluids. Is there anything else I need to check or change? Diff oil, gearbox oil etc? I don't have any knocking banging or anything else but there is a bit of a low level whine from the rear when doing about 60mph. Could just be road noise as it's 4x4 tyres that are fitted?.
mynameisjoe

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 2.2 D4D
Year: 2007
Trim Level: XT-R

Re: New (to me) Rav4, what to check?

PostPosted by jolak » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:38 pm

hi, I'm not one of the technical experts on this site and I've just sold a 2011 Rav with 93000+ on the clock. I had it serviced at an independent garage from the start and the guy who did it, itemised any fluid changes, brake pad and disc fitting etc, so it's easy to see what was done and when. I also kept receipts for all parts and fluids which I provided for the garage to make sure that the correct stuff was used. If it was done at a Toyota garage, I know that they print receipts itemising all fluids used and you just have to hope that they have done it. If I was in your position, I would just do all the fluids including brake fluid and at least you know every thing's done.
There are some excellent instruction posts on here from Anchorman and Parts King can supply the correct fluids with a discount that you won't get from your local Toyota Dealer, unless you're trade. Good luck with your motor.
jolak
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by Davrav » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:55 pm

One thing you should definitely check is the fuel filler pipe under the removable plastic shroud in rear nearside wheel arch. These have been known to corrode quite badly, especially if the RAV has been used in muddy conditions and not cleaned effectively.
Removal of the shroud can be achieved with the wheel in position but it's easier with the wheel off. Be careful with the nuts as they are likely to be corroded and the captive threads and mounting brackets can break off. If they look in poor condition probably best to soak with penetrating fluid for a while. If the pipe is in reasonable nick, then a good clean up and judicious coating of an underbody protective sealant such as Dinitrol is very worthwhile.
RAV4 Drivers Club - For all things RAV4 and much, much more!
Davrav
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 4.3
Year: 2008
Trim Level: XTR+
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Mitsubishi ASX
Year: 2017
Trim: Auto

PostPosted by mynameisjoe » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:49 am

Thanks jolak and Davrav.
Unfortunately there aren't any receipts, I bought it from an auction after it failed to reach its reserve. I contacted the seller and offered well under what I thought it was worth expecting to be knocked back. I drove it home within a couple of hours. It's pretty well looked after inside and out so I'm assuming the mechanicals have been looked after too but it doesn't always work like that. I've tried searching for common faults on tinternet but can't really find any which is why I asked in here. Whish I had done that with the vectra before I bought it!!!
mynameisjoe

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 2.2 D4D

PostPosted by Big Kev » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:59 am

Bonjourno Giusseppi from Perf.......not got many Australian members from Scotlandshire.....

Change fuel filter.....DO NOT use supermarket fuel........change cabin/pollen filter behind glove compartment, as it will be bowfin' probably. Dead easy or come to Stepps and I will do.....sorry.....just moved to Nairn and forgot.
Get a can of BG244, READ INSTRUCTIONS AND PUT IN TANK. Davrav good advice on fuel filler neck.

More advice to come as you require it.....usually from me, as I am a cardboard box expert (retired.) If ever up this way geeza shout, and welcome to this nub of clutters. :s_thumbsup

If chunky stupit 4x4 tyres are fitted, possibly yer whine, but diff oils a verywurffwhile job.
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SR Auto
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2004
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

PostPosted by Aleman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:33 pm

Has it had the engine replaced :o

Seriously the 2AD engine had a known fault that basically caused the Cylinder head gasket to blow. At 120K miles I'm guessing it's either been done, or you have one of the ones that's never going to go.

My 2007 XTR needed a 3/4 engine replacement at just under 30K miles . . . Luckily for me Toyota had acknowledges the fault and were offering a 7 Year / 100K free replacement IF the car was using more that 1L of oil in 1000 miles. (plus other symptoms) . . Of course that has expired by now.
2007 Rav4 2.2 D4-D XTR The on board computer has been reporting 45mpg round town and country roads
Mods fitted Retro fit Cruise Control, Dual Electric detachable tow bar. Rear View Camera, Sony XNV-L66BT. TPMS. New Boot Lights. LED Interior Lights
RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 owners forum in the UK!
Aleman
'100 Club' Member
'100 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 D4-D (4.3.0)
Fuel Type: vPower Diesel

Return to Car Talk