Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

bargain Rav4

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

Re: bargain Rav4

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:37 pm

NickB75 wrote:I recently paid £8200 for a 2010 RAV4 from a Toyota dealership. This thread is depressing me

Mileage ? You cannot buy back miles. You may have paid anywhere from 1000 to 2000 more but try making a good car out of an average one and see how long 2 K goes.

There are always going to be big differences between prices on a selection of used cars but that tells less than half the story.
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Year: 2012
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..

PostPosted by firemac » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:10 pm

CharlieFarlie wrote:
firemac wrote:As long as your car is EXACTLY as you describe it in the initial on-line valuation then WBAC.com prices are not bad especially when you factor in the savings you'll achieve by not having to advertise or spend time with tyre-kicking time-wasters or give test drives, haggling, etc, etc. but getting your cash in your bank within 24 hours. However, WBAC will hammer you down on any little blemish or deviation from your statement of facts once they see the car and they use a pretty big hammer. And you must read the questions very carefully, e.g. when they ask how many previous owners, you must include yourself and not just the owners before you, otherwise the valuation goes south once they see the V5; simple, you might say, but it's very easy to slip up.

Nevertheless if you are sensible and honest with yourself about your car's condition and therefore allow some "hammering room" before you go, they are not as bad as some folk think. I've used them before and been satisfied with the outcome.

We have a local version of WBAC in Sandbach (webuyanycarincheshire.com) and their valuations are very genuine but they have been around for quite a while, sell their stock from their own dealership and have a very good reputation. I used them to off-load the Shogun when I bought The Hearse - sorry, the Saab - and was delighted with their valuation and their service. Worth a punt for anyone not too far away.

Totally disagree. The prices they offer are stupidly low . It is convenient easy way to sell but why give away 1000s of pounds ?

Polish it up get it advertised and have a good go at selling it.

I can only speak from my own experience. When using WBSC and our local WBACIC, I researched the values of similar cars on AT, PH and the relative dealer websites and set my bottom lines bearing in mind the other costs and aggro that I could forego. As long as WBAC, etc matched or bettered my figures, I was happy and certainly couldn't see any good reason to go through all the hassle of a private sale.
In both my cases, the prices offered were definitely not low - I wasn't going to give either car away!
Would you like a Single supplier for all your utilities; Award-winning customer service; Value that’s unbeatable; Easy to switch? Click on the link to hear one of the UK’s best-known & trusted personalities show you how!

http://www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk/wearebillbusters/jointheclub
firemac
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Saab 9-3
Year: 2010
Trim Level: XWD Auto
Fuel Type: Petrol turbo
Other Vehicle: Saab 9-3
Year: 2011
Trim: 1.8t Linear
Fuel Type: Petrol turbo

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:24 pm

Opposite experience for me. They offered 2100 for my daughters mint condition 207CC with low miles. I sold it with zero effort for just under 4000. Hardly peanuts I'm sure you Will agree.

I advertised on Pistonheads which cost nothing sold it to the first serious buyer. Haggling is part of every deal but I informed the seller he would be going home with no car if the full price was not paid. Politely put plain and simple. :s_thumbsup
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by jolak » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:44 pm

Hoovie, I'm just using muscle power and it seems to work. I have a kit called Kratzner which I bought from Aldi, but I've now run out.
I bought some scratch remover from a cheap shop in Alfreton today.
I think they're all variations of T-cut, which is just fine cutting paste requiring mega muscle power to get any result.

Charlie, I don't know what PTG is!
Apologies if I'm breaching any rules, but I am registered as a member. Is being a club supporter different?
If I'm doing something wrong, please spell it out to me as I'm not one to read terms and conditions.
All I'm getting so far is car dealers not offering much more than WBAC.com, so it's not looking good.
jolak
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by Hoovie » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:18 pm

Car dealers don't appear to care about condition, so might be wasting time and effort on polishing unless you are targeting private sellers? Bad time of year to be selling a 4x4 as well :(

Click on "board index" top left and goto FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS and you will see a link about Club Supporters :s_thumbsup
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:40 am

Tcut is rubbish. It's ammonia based and can leave stains. Get a low cut polish or even medium cut if doing by hand.

PTG is Paint Thickness Gauge an instrument with which we measure and monitor the thickness of the paint / laquer we are polishing.

Your paint is made up of two layers .. Base/colour coat and lacquer over the top. Polish through the lacquer and your buggered. It will leave dull areas if you do and reprinting is the only option.

My PTG identifies each layer and tells me the thickness of the base and lacquer individually. It's the laqeur we are correcting so we cannot polish all of it away.
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by Hoovie » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:33 am

As Charlie mentioned, Toyota paint tends to be very thin. Here are a couple of examples to show that....

As purchased at 11 years old. Typical swirls from sponge and bucket washing.
ImageSwirls by David, on Flickr

And this is an after photo with a machine polisher, but with a very fine polish, a very soft pad and only a few minutes later.
ImagePolished by David, on Flickr

On a german vehicle (my VW T4), this same polish and pad combination made very little impression. So it is a matter of going slow.

Added you as a supporter now :s_howdy feel free to advertise your motor. The Google web spiders trawl the forum every hour or so, so put key words and phrases in the advert and anyone looking for a RAV4 using a google search will come across yours :s_drinks
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by J.D » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:05 pm

CharlieFarlie wrote:Tcut is rubbish. It's ammonia based and can leave stains. Get a low cut polish or even medium cut if doing by hand.

I have a DAS 6 pro with both a soft black and a medium yellow Merzerna pads, and Menzerna 2-200 med cut, and 3- 800 super finish.
From what you are saying I would be best to use Black pad and the 3-800 polish ?
J.D

Primary Vehicle: Rav 4:3
Year: 2006
Trim Level: XT4
Fuel Type: petrol

PostPosted by jolak » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:17 pm

result! First to view bought it.
jolak
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by Davrav » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:20 pm

Fantastic :s_thumbsup
RAV4 Drivers Club - For all things RAV4 and much, much more!
Davrav
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 4.3
Year: 2008
Trim Level: XTR+
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Mitsubishi ASX
Trim: Auto
Fuel Type: Diesel

PreviousNext