Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Displaying images in posts

Posts on how to use the Forum Features, Posting Files, Setting Time Zones, Displays Styles etc. Got a tip for fellow members? Post it here. Want a Feature and cannot find? Ask here!

Displaying images in posts

PostPosted by Hoovie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:30 pm

This is a direct and specific request NOT to put photobucket images on any new posts until further notice, please :s_howdy

Because of their recent change in policy, any images hosted on photobucket are getting replaced by a 'ramsomware' photobucket image. This is making the threads very messy and also confusing and in some cases meaningless.
I know some users are not experiencing this problem, but it WILL be only a matter of a few days until they do, so I think it is better to avoid immediately for everyone.
Many posts on this forum will hopefully be a resource to reference back to and the few broken ones the better, so avoiding the photobucket problem from now will hopefully help even if just a little.

So again.... NO Photobucket images to be posted from now on please!
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

Re: Displaying images in posts

PostPosted by clarki » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:26 pm

No worries. Is there an alternative in the meantime?
clarki
Club Member
Club Member

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2009
Trim Level: XT-R
Fuel Type: D-4D
Other Vehicle: SLK
Fuel Type: Lots

Re: Displaying images in posts

PostPosted by Hoovie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:54 pm

clarki wrote:No worries. Is there an alternative in the meantime?

Unfortunately uploading images to the forum is not a real solution as our storage quota is quite limited, so we tend to reserve it for techinical documents and the like, so it is still a case of using what photo bucket have referred to as "3rd Party Hosting" i.e. using IMG tags to link to a file saved on a publically accessible site.

FWIW, I am now using Flickr and not just updating links to pictures re-saved on Flickr from Photo Bucket, but actively deleting all my content on PB in disgust (and don't care if they reverse their policy or not, I want to sever all ties regardless).

There are many other picture hosts out there, some that provide cloud storage facilities (Google, Amazon, BT, etc) and some that provide public viewing to your photos (Flickr, imgur, etc).
Something I would suggest staying clear from personally is any hosting offered as a part of an Broadband ISP agreement, as if you move ISP, you could lose your storage, and if used for "3rd Party Hosting", your forum threads will get screwed again probably. (I never use an ISP provided email account for the same reason)
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

Return to Forum How To's & Wish List