Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Colour code of wheels?

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Colour code of wheels?

PostPosted by steverav4me » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:49 am

I've booked my car in for a wheels refurb. I asked about colour matching and they mentioned if I had a colour code otherwise they would 'colour match'. My car is a 2005 Rav4.2 with the bog standard 'silver' coloured wheels. Is there a colour code for them? Thanks.
steverav4me
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.2 D-4D 5dr
Year: 2005
Trim Level: XT3
Fuel Type: Diesel

Re: Colour code of wheels?

PostPosted by Big Kev » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:54 am

Decent refurbishisers should have sample colours of silver on a rack for you to choose from. Just mention you would like them lacquered to death. He should take the hint.......
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SR Auto
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2004
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

PostPosted by Hoovie » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:22 am

There are loads of different silvers.
Don't think any wheels ever have a colour code as such as they are not made or painted by the car makers, so there tends to be "german silver" and "japanese silver" - not that they are called that, just all japanese wheels tend to be the same, and all german wheels tend to be the same.
Example is Kevs OHs car - that has wheels that came from Germany as standard, and when we refurbed them, the matching colour was the one used by a German Maker (Mercedes), not the "Japenese Silver" found on other RAV4s.

Like Kev says, check out the silvers and choose one you like (I used to carry around 8 -10 stock versions). As a starting point, the original colour will probably be called a "SP2" (aka "SS2"), which is a silver with a moderate flake. SP3 has more flake, SP1 has less flake, and VF is very plain silver (VF = Very Flat) as found on most Mercedes.
The less the flake, the better the wheel condition needs to be. If your wheels are typical 12 year old Toyota Alloys, then you should consider SP3 as that will hide the pitting best (a wheel refurb can only fix so much pitting)
Your wheel refurbisher may well have different terms but the ones above are pretty common.
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by Big Kev » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:09 pm

Didnae want to get too smart airsed, but being from a print and packaging background, there is no such colour as silver or grey.....even if you do pick from a sample rack, there will be differences.....all down to the mixing.....maybe posh refurbers have "ink kitchens" which mix within a range of Pantone tolerances.

Stonkful point from our leader re the amount of fleck being dependful on condition and/or prep. standard of your alloys.
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SR Auto
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

PostPosted by steverav4me » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:11 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, all helpful. In truth, I'm not that bothered about them looking exactly the same colour as they were when new, so I'll just ask them to colour match, and if they do have some samples to choose from I'll look at those too. It's just that had there been a colour code I would have quoted it for ease sake. Thanks.

Also, I hear what is said about the less sparkly hues showing any defects up more, but I do prefer less sparkle, or should I say not very sparkly. My objective is to make the wheels (and car) look nice again, and to stop the bloody tyres keep going down every week due to corroded rims. So I may go for a less sparkly hue even though it may betray some historical pitting below the surface, Like I say, I'll see if they have sample finishes to choose from. Thanks!
steverav4me
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

PostPosted by jase hutch » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:27 pm

Steve, this is my post showing my refurb job, possibly not to your taste as I went 'sparkly'... ;)

topic1159.html?hilit=Alloys%20refurbished%20or%20replace
jase hutch
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.2. 3dr
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ
Year: 2011
Trim: Auto

PostPosted by steverav4me » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:15 pm

jase hutch wrote:Steve, this is my post showing my refurb job, possibly not to your taste as I went 'sparkly'... ;)

topic1159.html?hilit=Alloys%20refurbished%20or%20replace

There's 17 or more pages to that thread, what page am I starting at for the 'meat' that you refer to? Cheers.
steverav4me
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

PostPosted by tankman37 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:29 pm

tankman37
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV4.2 2.0 VVTI 3dr
Year: 2003
Trim Level: NRG
Other Vehicle: Nissan Juke
Year: 2015

PostPosted by steverav4me » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:03 pm

tankman37 wrote:http://forum.rav4driversclub.com/topic1159-80.html?hilit=Alloys%20refurbished%20or%20replace#p15865

That looks a great job, although perhaps not my choice of shade. Of course it's a photo, not the real thing, so it may well be different in the flesh. I'm thinking of a tad brighter, 'whiter' silver and a bit less less sparkle.
steverav4me
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

PostPosted by steverav4me » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:21 pm

So, I finally got my wheels refurbished by JP Alloys at Cannock. They did a great job. Take a look at their web site that has all manner of interviews and 'how it's done' videos. Cost was £310 for four wheels. Luckily, one of my wheels was in more than good enough condition to keep as the spare, so I didn't get that one done. Finish is 'Standard silver sparkle'.

ImageImage
steverav4me
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Next

Return to SUV Technical Q & A