Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

very poor hot/cold starting

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

very poor hot/cold starting

PostPosted by LimoDan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:51 pm

Hi Guys

I have a T180 2006

I am having a major problem with starting.

When I turn the engine off (when hot)and go to restart it turns over for 10-30 seconds before starting. (no smoke on restart)

When I go to Start from cold it turns over for 30-45 seconds before starting, a few times it has failed to start. on occasions it will go into limp mode. (no smoke on start up).

Local garage says fuel pressure from the pump is low when turning over but they are unable to test pump further or injectors. Has had a new fuel filter.

Toyota Garage says "It will be pump or injectors", I said to them, if you do a pump and its NOT that, what happens ? ? "You will still have to pay for it" they said ! ! !

Please Help !
LimoDan

Re: very poor hot/cold starting

PostPosted by anchorman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:45 pm

Probably an injector but get the code read and come back. Btw, if you're using supermarket fuel, stop immediately.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by LimoDan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:24 am

Hi Anchorman

The code that occasionally shows relates to low fuel pressure.
LimoDan

PostPosted by anchorman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:30 am

LimoDan wrote:Hi Anchorman

The code that occasionally shows relates to low fuel pressure.

Almost certainly an injector sticking. Don't spend loads on it, get some decent injector cleaner like BG244 or even one of these Wynns type treatments and put it in. It will get round the system in minutes as loads of fuel gets pumped up to the engine but most goes back. If you are using supermarket fuel, stop as I've said.

If they start with injectors and pumps you are into big money.
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by LimoDan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:47 am

I tried fuel cleaner on a couple of occasions but no change.

strange how you can turn off and go to restart 30 seconds later and it will crank for 20-30 seconds.
LimoDan

PostPosted by anchorman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:10 am

LimoDan wrote:I tried fuel cleaner on a couple of occasions but no change.

strange how you can turn off and go to restart 30 seconds later and it will crank for 20-30 seconds.

When it runs, does it misfire?

And another thing......

anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by LimoDan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:48 am

No misfire, but a little flat over 3000rpm.

It is worse when its very cold out and will sometimes cut out just after starting.
LimoDan

PostPosted by anchorman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:08 am

LimoDan wrote:No misfire, but a little flat over 3000rpm.

It is worse when its very cold out and will sometimes cut out just after starting.

Which brand fuel filter did you use?

If you take the pipe off the fuel filter that goes to the high pressure pump and pump that plunger on top of the fuel filter does it flow freely and at full bore?

If you pump that primer before attempting to start it until it goes very stiff, how long do you pump it for and does it start any better?

And another thing......

anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by LimoDan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:39 am

Not sure which fuel filter was used.

The primer does 2-3 pumps before going hard and makes a very small difference to the starting.

I will go and check the flow rate now.
LimoDan

PostPosted by anchorman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:01 pm

LimoDan wrote:Not sure which fuel filter was used.

The primer does 2-3 pumps before going hard and makes a very small difference to the starting.

I will go and check the flow rate now.

OK. Was it doing it before the filter was changed?

Low fuel pressure is a funny one. Providing that everything else is ok, it would normally be something sticking open like an injector or the fuel rail pressure relief valve but if there is a problem getting the fuel to the engine, the low pressure could be caused by fuel starvation, hence my line of questioning.

And another thing......

anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Next

Return to SUV Technical Q & A