Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Checking oil ?

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Checking oil ?

PostPosted by Rambler » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:41 am

Sorry I know it's been covered before , just checked my dipstick and.....well it's tricky to get an accurate check :rolleyes:

Can someone remind me how to get an accurate check please ?

Thank you folks :s_thumbsup
Lifes too short.

Work to live , Not live to work..

Previous vehicle , 2002 3dr Baleric blue D4D Rav4.
Then 2014 Honda Jazz EX 1.4
Now ,2012 Rav4 XT-R 2.2 D4D.
Rambler
'750 Club' Member
'750 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Xt-R 2.2 D4D.
Year: 2012
Trim Level: XT-R
Fuel Type: Diesel

Re: Checking oil ?

PostPosted by anchorman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:19 am

Rambler wrote:Sorry I know it's been covered before , just checked my dipstick and.....well it's tricky to get an accurate check :rolleyes:

Not always easy Jamester. Get some wire wool or scotchbrite (pan cleaner will do) and just take the glaze off the end of the dipstick. This is because they are so glossy, the oil can separate but if you take the glaze off, it sticks better. Make sure you wipe any traces of the wool off before putting it back. After standing for a while - overnight is best, take it out, wipe it clean then dip it in and straight out.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

Re: Checking oil ?

PostPosted by Rambler » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:04 pm

anchorman wrote:
Rambler wrote:Sorry I know it's been covered before , just checked my dipstick and.....well it's tricky to get an accurate check :rolleyes:

Not always easy Jamester. Get some wire wool or scotchbrite (pan cleaner will do) and just take the glaze off the end of the dipstick. This is because they are so glossy, the oil can separate but if you take the glaze off, it sticks better. Make sure you wipe any traces of the wool off before putting it back. After standing for a while - overnight is best, take it out, wipe it clean then dip it in and straight out.

Absolutely marvellous, thanks Don :s_thumbsup
Lifes too short.

Work to live , Not live to work..

Previous vehicle , 2002 3dr Baleric blue D4D Rav4.
Then 2014 Honda Jazz EX 1.4
Now ,2012 Rav4 XT-R 2.2 D4D.
Rambler
'750 Club' Member
'750 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Xt-R 2.2 D4D.
Year: 2012
Trim Level: XT-R
Fuel Type: Diesel

Return to SUV Technical Q & A