Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals


Hybrid

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

Re: Hybrid

PostPosted by Kencat » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:59 am

Had a test drive in the hybrid rav , wow ! So quiet and smooth compared to the deisel
I was very impressed although strange at first , this one is a year old and 4500 miles seem all ok , I will keep you informed!
Kencat
Club Regular
Club Regular
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:44 pm
Country: Uk

Re: Hybrid

PostPosted by Aleman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:50 pm

Some interesting replies here, knew it was a CVT gearbox (Ugh!) but didn't realise that it was Planetary Gears :D :s_thumbsup

Andys news about 65mpg around town is also good news, as that is where most of my miles are now done.

Charlies comments about Hybrid technology being in it's infancy is also relevant, but the Toyota stuff is pretty old hat. How old is the Prius? and Lexus were using the same technology around the same time or possibly even earlier. Certainly 2 miles on EV only is pretty poor when you compare it against the Mitsi outlander 35 miles, and really poor when you consider the stats of the Toyota LMP-1 . . . but you have to accept that you don't brake at 5G for every corner :D

I don't like the 4.4 Shape (Don't get me started on the CH-R), but the Outlander is a bigger car, and I don't want that, so unless mr VW comes along with a completely mind blowing Tiguan Hybrid I really think It'll be a Rav Hybrid for me next time.
2007 Rav4 2.2 D4-D XTR The on board computer has been reporting 45mpg round town and country roads
Image
Mods fitted Retro fit Cruise Control, Dual Electric detachable tow bar. Rear View Camera, Sony XNV-L66BT. TPMS. New Boot Lights. LED Interior Lights
RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 owners forum in the UK!
User avatar
Aleman
'100 Club' Member
'100 Club' Member
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:05 pm
Location: Blackpool
Real Name: Tony
Primary Vehicle: RAV4 D4-D (4.3.0)
Year: 2007
Trim Level: XT-R
Fuel Type: vPower Diesel
Country: UK

Re: Hybrid

PostPosted by Davrav » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:44 pm

There is supposed to be an ASX EV in the pipeline but not sure when it will appear. If it is anything like the Outlander in terms of efficiency it is likely to trash the opposition unless, as you say Tony, another manufacturer comes up with something similar sooner.
RAV4 Drivers Club - For all things RAV4 and much, much more!

Image
User avatar
Davrav
Club Moderator
Club Moderator
 
Posts: 3436
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:31 pm
Location: Gloucestershire
Real Name: David
Primary Vehicle: RAV4 4.3
Year: 2008
Trim Level: XTR+
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Mitsubishi ASX
Year: 2017
Trim: Auto
Fuel Type: Diesel
Country: England

Re: Hybrid

PostPosted by anchorman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:23 pm

I'm not too fussed about the shape but can't quite get past the dash. However, I do think the Toyota hybrid powertrain is the most developed and utterly reliable. Some seem to think the price and the fuel economy doesn't justify the cost but that is entirely the wrong attitude as it is about the emissions first. I'm not a tree hugger by any means but I do get that we've got to get a grip of emissions.

The obvious solution to the aesthetics is the Lexus NX which is much nicer inside IMO. if you don't go mad on spec it isn't hugely expensive either.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

Image
User avatar
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator
 
Posts: 4954
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:43 pm
Real Name: Don
Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel
Country: England

Re: Hybrid

PostPosted by Kencat » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Thanks for the information, I'm picking mine up tomorrow !
Kencat
Club Regular
Club Regular
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:44 pm
Country: Uk

Re: Hybrid

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:33 pm

anchorman wrote:I'm not too fussed about the shape but can't quite get past the dash. However, I do think the Toyota hybrid powertrain is the most developed and utterly reliable. Some seem to think the price and the fuel economy doesn't justify the cost but that is entirely the wrong attitude as it is about the emissions first. I'm not a tree hugger by any means but I do get that we've got to get a grip of emissions.

The obvious solution to the aesthetics is the Lexus NX which is much nicer inside IMO. if you don't go mad on spec it isn't hugely expensive either.


There's far more volatile emmisions comes out of a cows backside and causes more harm than cars by about 150 to one.

The emmisions argument has been torn apart by clever eminent scientists who say what the planet is going through is natural and not caused by man. Just look at previous changes I.E. the ice age. Sorry I don't buy into it it's just a reason to part us from our money..

The 4.4 dash ain't pretty but neither is the car. For me the 4.4 is by far the best Rav but only cos it's the biggest.

Thing is my cars now worth bugger all so the money a hybrid would save me is not even in sight. There is no car in the Toyots range that inspires me enough to buy a car for the sake of buying so if I decide to change it would have to be to something that does like the Fpace.

I think the Hybrid is a great car and if Andys invested in one then it must be good and a good powertrain. But for me the numbers just don't stack up because of the inspiration factor.

I do most of my miles now which are few in the IQ as I love howling round in that wee roller skate so my MPG costs little overall.

Away just now in the MH and have the IQ on the back. Hell was it a good idea to get the wee car. I will run this thing till it falls apart. I now service it myself cos when or by the time we bin it it won't be worth a dime so I ain't paying £160 + for a feckin oil change.

In short the combination of the two cars the 4.4 and the IQ just about has it nailed.

Still fancy the Fpace though :D :D
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
User avatar
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator
 
Posts: 7617
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:34 pm
Location: In the hills of Herefordshire......
Real Name: Charlie
Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Year: 2012
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..
Country: UK

Re: Hybrid

PostPosted by Aleman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:17 pm

CharlieFarlie wrote:There's far more volatile emmisions comes out of a cows backside and causes more harm than cars by about 150 to one.

The emmisions argument has been torn apart by clever eminent scientists who say what the planet is going through is natural and not caused by man. Just look at previous changes I.E. the ice age. Sorry I don't buy into it it's just a reason to part us from our money..

I'm sorry Charlie but for every 1 eminent scientist who deny climate change (*) there are 9 eminent scientists who have facts and evidence to back it up. The issue with farting cattle is NOT the fact that they fart methane, but destruction of the rainforests so that we can grow soy to feed the intensively reared cattle.

It is not so much that the climate is changing, that is completely natural, and cyclical i.e the ice age(s) what is key is not that the change is occurring but the rate at which the change is occurring. What we are seeing is changes in a year that prior to the industrial revolution took place in a century or even longer! Man is having an impact on the planet and it's not a good one!

Now does driving a hybrid vehicle make a huge amount of difference?? Individually I would say no, but in the hundreds of thousands or millions the reduction in CO2 production would be significant. Same for electric vehicles, while fossil fuels are currently burnt to make the electricity, the plants are about 70% efficient compared to the 10-20% efficiency we get from our combustion engine, factor in the increasing generation of electricity from renewable and it starts to make even more sense.

Must admit I like the look of the FPace usually from the rear as they go past me :D , but then occasionally I see it in profile and am reminded of the disco sport and the evoque . . . Not a fan of the "Car sat on by an elephant look" styling :D :D :D One of the things that does make a difference is keeping a car for a long time, the amount of resource that goes into the production of a car is phenomenal, if we could all be persuaded to keep our cars for longer, rather than change them every two or three years there would be less resources used. I've always kept my cars for an excessive period of time (usually past the point at which they just cost silly amounts of money to keep one the road :( )

(*) Take a look at the organisations funding the research of those eminent scientists that find no effect from man ;) the vast majority of them get funding from oil / gas / coal industries ;)
2007 Rav4 2.2 D4-D XTR The on board computer has been reporting 45mpg round town and country roads
Image
Mods fitted Retro fit Cruise Control, Dual Electric detachable tow bar. Rear View Camera, Sony XNV-L66BT. TPMS. New Boot Lights. LED Interior Lights
RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 owners forum in the UK!
User avatar
Aleman
'100 Club' Member
'100 Club' Member
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:05 pm
Location: Blackpool
Real Name: Tony
Primary Vehicle: RAV4 D4-D (4.3.0)
Year: 2007
Trim Level: XT-R
Fuel Type: vPower Diesel
Country: UK

Re: Hybrid

PostPosted by anchorman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:57 pm

Aleman wrote:
CharlieFarlie wrote:There's far more volatile emmisions comes out of a cows backside and causes more harm than cars by about 150 to one.

The emmisions argument has been torn apart by clever eminent scientists who say what the planet is going through is natural and not caused by man. Just look at previous changes I.E. the ice age. Sorry I don't buy into it it's just a reason to part us from our money..

I'm sorry Charlie but for every 1 eminent scientist who deny climate change (*) there are 9 eminent scientists who have facts and evidence to back it up. The issue with farting cattle is NOT the fact that they fart methane, but destruction of the rainforests so that we can grow soy to feed the intensively reared cattle.

It is not so much that the climate is changing, that is completely natural, and cyclical i.e the ice age(s) what is key is not that the change is occurring but the rate at which the change is occurring. What we are seeing is changes in a year that prior to the industrial revolution took place in a century or even longer! Man is having an impact on the planet and it's not a good one!

Now does driving a hybrid vehicle make a huge amount of difference?? Individually I would say no, but in the hundreds of thousands or millions the reduction in CO2 production would be significant. Same for electric vehicles, while fossil fuels are currently burnt to make the electricity, the plants are about 70% efficient compared to the 10-20% efficiency we get from our combustion engine, factor in the increasing generation of electricity from renewable and it starts to make even more sense.

Must admit I like the look of the FPace usually from the rear as they go past me :D , but then occasionally I see it in profile and am reminded of the disco sport and the evoque . . . Not a fan of the "Car sat on by an elephant look" styling :D :D :D One of the things that does make a difference is keeping a car for a long time, the amount of resource that goes into the production of a car is phenomenal, if we could all be persuaded to keep our cars for longer, rather than change them every two or three years there would be less resources used. I've always kept my cars for an excessive period of time (usually past the point at which they just cost silly amounts of money to keep one the road :( )

(*) Take a look at the organisations funding the research of those eminent scientists that find no effect from man ;) the vast majority of them get funding from oil / gas / coal industries ;)


100% agreed.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

Image
User avatar
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator
 
Posts: 4954
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:43 pm
Real Name: Don
Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel
Country: England

Re: Hybrid

PostPosted by firemac » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:23 pm

dave.m wrote:
anchorman wrote:
dave.m wrote:
shcm wrote:
Big Kev wrote:You will get nae argument from Andy shcm hereon......wax lyrical he will.


So far, probably the best RAV I've owned. (No. 4). Depends what your priorities are in a vehicle. It may not be everybody's cup of tea. I think it's an outstanding vehicle.



+1, also best Rav I've owned, and mine ain't the posh one it's a business edition plus TSS.
Also my Rav no 4, would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of buying one. :s_thumbsup

Better than the VW Dave?



I really liked my Tiguan Don, there was a good chance I would have ended up in a new one. But I don't know
who they are trying to kid with the price. An R Line like the one I had but with auto DSG box is £37K list price.
What actually killed VW for me though was the attitude of them and the dealers especially. IMHO they should
be bending over backwards to keep customers like me. Truth is, they don't give a stuff.

As for the Rav, the Hybrid is a belter. I had been looking for months for a pre reg or ex demo. I kept missing
them. They seem to sell like bloody hot cakes, hence why I have the model I may not necessarily have chosen.
But it's still the best of the four Rav's I have owned. That 2.5 engine is sweet as a nut, and what a lot of
people don't realise is yes it it CVT. But it's not rubber band drive, it's a planetary gear set up. BRILLIANT.

Planetary gears, now that's got my juices flowing :D :D :D


If the box is anything like the one in the 4.3 petrol auto then I'd agree with you. I couldn't honestly tell that it was a CVT - I thought it was A normal TC autobox. Time and tech has moved on so I'm sure the current one is even better.
Would you like a Single supplier for all your utilities; Award-winning customer service; Value that’s unbeatable; Easy to switch? Click on the link to hear one of the UK’s best-known & trusted personalities show you how!

http://www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk/wearebillbusters/jointheclub
User avatar
firemac
Club Supporter
Club Supporter
 
Posts: 1437
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:08 pm
Location: S. Cheshire
Real Name: Jim
Primary Vehicle: Saab 9-3
Year: 2010
Trim Level: XWD Auto
Fuel Type: Petrol turbo
Other Vehicle: Saab 9-3
Year: 2011
Trim: 1.8t Linear
Fuel Type: Petrol turbo
Country: UK

Re: Hybrid

PostPosted by firemac » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:50 pm

Aleman wrote:
CharlieFarlie wrote:There's far more volatile emmisions comes out of a cows backside and causes more harm than cars by about 150 to one.

The emmisions argument has been torn apart by clever eminent scientists who say what the planet is going through is natural and not caused by man. Just look at previous changes I.E. the ice age. Sorry I don't buy into it it's just a reason to part us from our money..

I'm sorry Charlie but for every 1 eminent scientist who deny climate change (*) there are 9 eminent scientists who have facts and evidence to back it up. The issue with farting cattle is NOT the fact that they fart methane, but destruction of the rainforests so that we can grow soy to feed the intensively reared cattle.

It is not so much that the climate is changing, that is completely natural, and cyclical i.e the ice age(s) what is key is not that the change is occurring but the rate at which the change is occurring. What we are seeing is changes in a year that prior to the industrial revolution took place in a century or even longer! Man is having an impact on the planet and it's not a good one!

Now does driving a hybrid vehicle make a huge amount of difference?? Individually I would say no, but in the hundreds of thousands or millions the reduction in CO2 production would be significant. Same for electric vehicles, while fossil fuels are currently burnt to make the electricity, the plants are about 70% efficient compared to the 10-20% efficiency we get from our combustion engine, factor in the increasing generation of electricity from renewable and it starts to make even more sense.

Must admit I like the look of the FPace usually from the rear as they go past me :D , but then occasionally I see it in profile and am reminded of the disco sport and the evoque . . . Not a fan of the "Car sat on by an elephant look" styling :D :D :D One of the things that does make a difference is keeping a car for a long time, the amount of resource that goes into the production of a car is phenomenal, if we could all be persuaded to keep our cars for longer, rather than change them every two or three years there would be less resources used. I've always kept my cars for an excessive period of time (usually past the point at which they just cost silly amounts of money to keep one the road :( )

(*) Take a look at the organisations funding the research of those eminent scientists that find no effect from man ;) the vast majority of them get funding from oil / gas / coal industries ;)


Eminent scientists like the UEA CRU boffins no doubt. And those barstoools were advising the UN!!! Climate change zealots have the same attitude as all other elitist groups, i.e. we're the intelligentsia (or so they think) so the rest of you plebs need to listen up. What I cannot stand is their inability to countenance to any other point of view and, worse, to try to disparage it by attacks on the credibility and technical intelligence of their opponents (or CC Deniers as they prefer to label them). I'm no scientist but I have first-hand experience of the energy industry stretching back nearly 30 years and I know that there are very, very few alternative technologies that actually produce the benefits, both in terms of efficiency and environmental protection, that they claim over a well-run conventional power generation plant. I'm not just talking about wind turbines which are a heavily tainted technology that has only blossomed because of the media savvy of environmental pressure groups, the focus group attitude of our current pygmy politicians and the resultant green subsidies offered by said pygmy govts that simply serve to demonstrate to the electorate that they are doing something about it. The ongoing CC argument reminds me of the debate back in the late 70's about catalysts -v- lean burn. Catalysts only won out because the commodity markets saw a golden opportunity to cash in big time on platinum resources and the politicians meekly followed their lead. It's very interesting that we are now seeing lean-burn petrol engines rivalling diesels for economy and certainly out-paces the oil burners in terms of emissions. It was the useless politicians who introduced heavy incentives to persuade us to go for diesels since the 90's and now everyone feigns surprise that the diesel emissions are worse than presented originally. Oh and let's not forget that it was the same smug, elitist scientists that advised the Blair govt on that one!
The CC brigade appear to have the same self-righteous, unswerving attitude to their cause that Communists had during the cold war. They simply can't help trying to tell the rest of us what to do.
Would you like a Single supplier for all your utilities; Award-winning customer service; Value that’s unbeatable; Easy to switch? Click on the link to hear one of the UK’s best-known & trusted personalities show you how!

http://www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk/wearebillbusters/jointheclub
User avatar
firemac
Club Supporter
Club Supporter
 
Posts: 1437
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:08 pm
Location: S. Cheshire
Real Name: Jim
Primary Vehicle: Saab 9-3
Year: 2010
Trim Level: XWD Auto
Fuel Type: Petrol turbo
Other Vehicle: Saab 9-3
Year: 2011
Trim: 1.8t Linear
Fuel Type: Petrol turbo
Country: UK

PreviousNext

Return to Car Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


Interested in being a Club Supporter? Click Here!



Powered by Prophpbb Premium | Report Abuse | Privacy
cron