Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Rear Cycle Rack

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

Rear Cycle Rack

PostPosted by bobbymcleish » Wed May 17, 2017 11:25 pm

I'm on the market for a new bike rack, the type that hooks on the back with straps etc.

I know this type of rack is not ideal, but I do not want a roof cycle rack, nor one that requires a towbar.

The one I have is ok, however, is at least 4 years old, so I'm hoping that there is a newer, easier and more modern one out now.
One that will take one or two bikes maximum will do.

I have found one or two, not many, that the supplier says will fit my Rav, but I'm hoping that one of you guys have one and can recommend one.

There seems to be more of a choice of racks for the Rav with the spare wheel on the rear door, but that's no good for my Rav.

Cheers

Bobby
2011 Toyota Rav4 D-CAT SR Auto Pearl White, style pack, front/rear sensors, DRL's, Autolocks, Dual Rear Exhaust, DAB, front & rear Silent Witness dashcams.
bobbymcleish
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 D-Cat SR Auto
Year: 2011
Trim Level: SR
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Estima
Year: 2003
Trim: Leather
Fuel Type: Petrol

Re: Rear Cycle Rack

PostPosted by Big Kev » Thu May 18, 2017 9:16 am

A female Chief Super in Glesga polis loaned a rear cycle rack to a friend, a mate of mine.......he never got five miles before being booked for part obscuring rear window and number plate. Tried explaining who the rack's owner was......to no avail......oh how ah laugheded.......!
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SR Auto
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2004
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

PostPosted by bobbymcleish » Thu May 18, 2017 9:23 am

Funny story kev.

I totally agree with the obscuring the number plate, which can easily be solved with a bit of common sense.

Not sure how any court in the land could do someone about obscuring the rear window in this instance...what about all those people towing a caravan ??

Must have got pulled over by a totally bored copper that day. Blimey, the amount of illegal number plates I see on a daily basis and they seem to get away with it !!
2011 Toyota Rav4 D-CAT SR Auto Pearl White, style pack, front/rear sensors, DRL's, Autolocks, Dual Rear Exhaust, DAB, front & rear Silent Witness dashcams.
bobbymcleish
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by Two-T » Thu May 18, 2017 10:28 am

bobbymcleish wrote:Funny story kev.

I totally agree with the obscuring the number plate, which can easily be solved with a bit of common sense.

Not sure how any court in the land could do someone about obscuring the rear window in this instance...what about all those people towing a caravan ??

Must have got pulled over by a totally bored copper that day. Blimey, the amount of illegal number plates I see on a daily basis and they seem to get away with it !!

When I towed the first time, on the motorway looking back in the rear view mirror, I panicked for a second, as I thought I have a lorry close to me...
Do not think obstructing rear window is an offence, but defo putting bike and obstructing number plate AND light is.
My logic for the towbar mounted rack was that I need to do the electrics anyway, so from here to mount the actual towbar there is not a lot (I had a towbar long before I started towing).
I also had to consider 4 pairs of bike, no way they go on the rear door.
Two-T
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV4!
Year: 2014
Trim Level: Invincible
Other Vehicle: Corolla
Year: 1999
Trim: GS

PostPosted by bobbymcleish » Thu May 18, 2017 10:33 am

This is only really for me and my own bike when I want to travel further afield.

The expense of getting a towbar fitted just for this is a big expense.

I can of course get the bike in the back with the rear seats down, but I don't want to spoil the interior.

I'll keep looking and just use the old one I have got for now.
bobbymcleish
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by shcm » Thu May 18, 2017 10:40 am

Big Kev wrote: booked for part obscuring rear window

if the rear is window is obscured, he needs TWO WORKING MIRRORS to be legal on that point. Driver and passenger door mirrors do that.
My RAV4 Average: ImageImageImage

My Urban Cruiser Average: ImageImageImage

This post is © 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 rav4driversclub.com
shcm
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV 4.4 Hybrid
Year: 2016
Trim Level: Excel with TSS
Fuel Type: Petrol/Electric
Other Vehicle: Urban Cruiser
Trim: 1.4 D4D

PostPosted by Rambler » Tue May 23, 2017 9:36 pm

I rigged up a way of putting my mountain bike in the back of mine.
It stays upright, with front wheel removed, back wheel tight between my seat belt pillar & seat.
I just laid old towels over the boot floor who to stop any mud dirtying the interior...its easy and takes about a minute to load up.
The black piece of wood has a hole drilled through it , my bikes front axle goes though it so the bike stays upright and the ratchet straps stop it lifting....its solid !

Lifes too short.

Work to live , Not live to work..

Previous vehicle , 2002 3dr Baleric blue D4D Rav4.
Then 2014 Honda Jazz EX 1.4
Now ,2012 Rav4 XT-R 2.2 D4D....brilliant.
Rambler
'750 Club' Member
'750 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Xt-R 2.2 D4D.
Trim Level: XT-R

PostPosted by Two-T » Wed May 24, 2017 9:03 am

Rambler wrote:I rigged up a way of putting my mountain bike in the back of mine.
It stays upright, with front wheel removed, back wheel tight between my seat belt pillar & seat.
I just laid old towels over the boot floor who to stop any mud dirtying the interior...its easy and takes about a minute to load up.
The black piece of wood has a hole drilled through it , my bikes front axle goes though it so the bike stays upright and the ratchet straps stop it lifting....its solid !

Jamie,
How did you do the front fork axle holder?
I was looking to do something similar to the tandem (at the moment going upside down, tied the same way as you do), so looking for ideas...

Many Thanks

Two-T
Two-T
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV4!
Year: 2014
Trim Level: Invincible
Other Vehicle: Corolla
Year: 1999
Trim: GS

PostPosted by firemac » Wed May 24, 2017 11:52 am

Rambler wrote:I rigged up a way of putting my mountain bike in the back of mine.

That's a really neat solution, Jamie. Well done! :s_thumbsup
Would you like a Single supplier for all your utilities; Award-winning customer service; Value that’s unbeatable; Easy to switch? Click on the link to hear one of the UK’s best-known & trusted personalities show you how!

http://www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk/wearebillbusters/jointheclub
firemac
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Saab 9-3
Year: 2010
Trim Level: XWD Auto
Fuel Type: Petrol turbo
Other Vehicle: Saab 9-3
Trim: 1.8t Linear
Fuel Type: Petrol turbo

PostPosted by Rambler » Wed May 24, 2017 8:42 pm

Two-T wrote:

Jamie,
How did you do the front fork axle holder?
I was looking to do something similar to the tandem (at the moment going upside down, tied the same way as you do), so looking for ideas...

Many Thanks

Two-T

Well I measured two peices of wood , the long plank purely aids stability.
The small central block stands slightly taller allowing me to wind the axle ' handle ' into & through a 16mm hole.
The block is also 5mm narrower than my forks.
So you lower the forks until the hole lines up with axle hole in the wood block , push the axle through the whole lot and do up.
As the axle is just smaller than the hole ( tbh its reasonably tight) the bike won't tip.....easy.
I'll try a close up pic..
Lifes too short.

Work to live , Not live to work..

Previous vehicle , 2002 3dr Baleric blue D4D Rav4.
Then 2014 Honda Jazz EX 1.4
Now ,2012 Rav4 XT-R 2.2 D4D....brilliant.
Rambler
'750 Club' Member
'750 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Xt-R 2.2 D4D.
Trim Level: XT-R

Next

Return to Car Talk