Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Rear Cycle Rack

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

Re: Rear Cycle Rack

PostPosted by Rambler » Wed May 24, 2017 8:45 pm

Try this...

Hth..
Last edited by Rambler on Wed May 24, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lifes too short.

Work to live , Not live to work..

Previous vehicle , 2002 3dr Baleric blue D4D Rav4.
Then 2014 Honda Jazz EX 1.4
Now ,2012 Rav4 XT-R 2.2 D4D.
Rambler
'750 Club' Member
'750 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Xt-R 2.2 D4D.
Year: 2012
Trim Level: XT-R
Fuel Type: Diesel

PostPosted by Rambler » Wed May 24, 2017 9:03 pm

firemac wrote:
Rambler wrote:I rigged up a way of putting my mountain bike in the back of mine.
It stays upright, with front wheel removed, back wheel tight between my seat belt pillar & seat.
I just laid old towels over the boot floor who to stop any mud dirtying the interior...its easy and takes about a minute to load up.
The black piece of wood has a hole drilled through it , my bikes front axle goes though it so the bike stays upright and the ratchet straps stop it lifting....its solid !

That's a really neat solution, Jamie. Well done! :s_thumbsup

Thanks Jim, I love engineering things...just occasionally my brain gets some use with my tools :s_thumbsup
Lifes too short.

Rambler
'750 Club' Member
'750 Club' Member

PostPosted by Two-T » Thu May 25, 2017 7:36 am

Rambler wrote:Try this...

Hth..

Thanks!
Might have a go at it. Need to see first if it will go in the way I want :s_scratchhead (hight wise)
Two-T
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV4!
Year: 2014
Trim Level: Invincible
Other Vehicle: Corolla
Year: 1999
Trim: GS
Fuel Type: Petrol

PostPosted by Davrav » Thu May 25, 2017 7:41 am

Some additional height can be achieved towards the rear if the boot 'floor' is removed on a temporary basis.
RAV4 Drivers Club - For all things RAV4 and much, much more!
Davrav
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 4.3
Year: 2008
Trim Level: XTR+
Other Vehicle: Mitsubishi ASX
Year: 2017
Trim: Auto

PostPosted by Two-T » Thu May 25, 2017 10:59 am

Davrav wrote:Some additional height can be achieved towards the rear if the boot 'floor' is removed on a temporary basis.

My problem is the opposite...
At the moment, I put the tandem in upside-down, where the rear pannier rack goes in first, and in its final location, the pannier rack is lying on the centre consul, about half way (will do some pics weekend).
I thought to try and put the front in first, where the front fork will be on the centre consul, but I think I will have a problem with the hight (fork to top handle bar).
Idea being that if the wheel is muddy... it will be at the back...

I have also seen this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Delta-Bike-Hitch-Car-Rack/dp/B001F1535K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495706244&sr=8-1&keywords=front+fork+mount
But I think it is too expensive for no good reason. Will buy if I have to (or create one, for the fun of making it)
Two-T
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by bobbymcleish » Thu May 25, 2017 1:34 pm

Ok....despite what I said earlier, decided to bite the bullet and stump up the money for a towbar.

I just want to throw my bike on the back of the car at a moment's notice with as little hassle as possible.

Being installed by Towbarman SOUTH, on the 16th June. Used them twice before in the past and has always worked out fine.

Opted for a fixed flanged type rather than the detachable, as both my wife and I like the extra protection of it sticking out the back !!! :s_thumbsup
2011 Toyota Rav4 D-CAT SR Auto Pearl White, style pack, front/rear sensors, DRL's, Autolocks, Dual Rear Exhaust, DAB, front & rear Silent Witness dashcams.
bobbymcleish
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 D-Cat SR Auto
Year: 2011
Trim Level: SR
Other Vehicle: Estima
Year: 2003
Trim: Leather

PostPosted by Two-T » Thu May 25, 2017 2:07 pm

bobbymcleish wrote:Ok....despite what I said earlier, decided to bite the bullet and stump up the money for a towbar.

I just want to throw my bike on the back of the car at a moment's notice with as little hassle as possible.

Being installed by Towbarman SOUTH, on the 16th June. Used them twice before in the past and has always worked out fine.

Opted for a fixed flanged type rather than the detachable, as both my wife and I like the extra protection of it sticking out the back !!! :s_thumbsup

:s_thumbsup
Enjoy!
I use Pendlebike, which has a flange mount rack - once the flange is mounted to the towbar it take all of 5sec to put the bar on and load the bikes. There are others rack as well.
Two-T
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by Rambler » Thu May 25, 2017 2:22 pm

In my life I'm single, so it's normally only me in my car.
So the bike is nearly always in there anyway.
There's plenty of room for all my hiking gear too.
This 5 door rav is perfect for my life :s_thumbsup
Lifes too short.

Rambler
'750 Club' Member
'750 Club' Member

PostPosted by bobbymcleish » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:28 pm

Well, the towbar guy turned up, stripped the rear bumper off and proceeded to fit the towbar brackets...... One went on, the other could not be fitted ....because one of my dual Exhaust pipes was in the way :shok:

This was after sending detailed photos of the car highlighting this prior to ordering. I was informed all was ok.

However, this was determined by the lady in the office and not the fitter, he was less than impressed.

So a full refund has been issued.

I spoke to the company who fitted the exhaust, they said that I can cut off the pipe that's in the way, have the towbar fitted and he will sort out the exhaust for a maximum of £100, which seems pretty reasonable, but I don't fancy a 6 hour round trip to get it done.

I assume the exhaust would be very noisy and I would be best to get a temporary plate welded on to plug it to complete the journey.

Ok, I hear you all saying, what a load of bother and expense and time....I agree !!!

So I'm thinking about my options and whilst doing that, reviewing clip on rear bike racks on line to see if there is a better newer one than the one I have.

Hassle, hassle !!!!
2011 Toyota Rav4 D-CAT SR Auto Pearl White, style pack, front/rear sensors, DRL's, Autolocks, Dual Rear Exhaust, DAB, front & rear Silent Witness dashcams.
bobbymcleish
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 D-Cat SR Auto
Year: 2011
Trim Level: SR
Other Vehicle: Estima
Year: 2003
Trim: Leather

Previous