Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Fitting new Head Unit

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Fitting new Head Unit

PostPosted by RavPaul » Wed May 10, 2017 9:57 am

Hi all

Loving the Hyrid RAV and getting nearly 45 mpg on average - it gets better as I adjust to the driving style. However, I'm disappointed with the Touch 2 system (with sat nav) and was considering fitting a better aftermarket system with sat nav and Apple Car Play. I abandoned a similar project on my 2014 Subaru Forester because the fascia adaptor was a mess size wise and you could not use the steering wheel controls (no adaptor lead available).

Anyone on here tried fitting an after market head unit to a 2013 on RAV4? If so, any advice and was it successful.
RavPaul
Club Member
Club Member

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 Hybrid with TSS
Year: 2016
Trim Level: Excel
Fuel Type: Petrol/Electric
Other Vehicle: Hyundai i10
Year: 2015
Fuel Type: Petrol

Re: Fitting new Head Unit

PostPosted by Hoovie » Wed May 10, 2017 11:28 am

Not sure about the Toyota side, but a fair number of folk are buying the various rebranded OEM style head units for their VAG motors and opinions seem mixed on their performance, but they always looked the business and matched the profile shape of the dash well.
The same maker I am sure has units with front panels to match a Toyota dash (they usually have a selection of boot-up logos builtin to suit to car make and as well as VW, Audi, etc, they have the Toyota and Lexus logos in the list). Look on eBay for Pumpkin and currently the most common brand is Xtron.

Will it be better then a well-known brand like Pioneer? I doubt it very much TBH, but it will be a lot cheaper.
Will it be better then an OEM Toyota radio? Wouldn't surprise me :rolleyes:

Steering wheel control is usually there as well (the Pumpkin unit I installed on my RAV4.2 SWB worked fine with the controls. Just had to select what you wanted each button to do in the setup and away you go :s_thumbsup )
Most premier brands like Alpine and Pioneer will have aftermarket adapters available as well for mainstream cars. I add a kit to allow a Pioneer radio to use the column stalk on a Peugeot 206. The Subaru is a bit left-field in terms of mainstream so might not have had kits available?
Some of the facias to convert a standard 2-DIN unit to a non-standard dash are pretty good (I use one that costs £20 to make a Pioneer look nice on later VWs :s_cool )

I know most of above is not Toyota related, but VW and Toyota are similar sized makers and there are masses of head unit options for VW so maybe same for Mr T? (Tuning/mod VW scene way bigger then Toyota though ;)
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Citroen DS5 μ-Hybrid
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by RavPaul » Wed May 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Thanks Hoovie. I'm sure you're right about Subaru being a bit niche for aftermarket stuff. It seems that there's plenty for Toyota. One issue I'd forgotten was the 'Energy Monitor' which is accessed from the 'Car' button on the hybrid display. I wouldn't want to lose that so l suppose I'll have to stick with the current setup. I'm in the South of France at the moment in a Fiat Ducato based camper van whose audio/sat nav makes the Rav's seem quite acceptable!
RavPaul
Club Member
Club Member

PostPosted by Two-T » Wed May 10, 2017 11:05 pm

RavPaul wrote:Thanks Hoovie. I'm sure you're right about Subaru being a bit niche for aftermarket stuff. It seems that there's plenty for Toyota. One issue I'd forgotten was the 'Energy Monitor' which is accessed from the 'Car' button on the hybrid display. I wouldn't want to lose that so l suppose I'll have to stick with the current setup. I'm in the South of France at the moment in a Fiat Ducato based camper van whose audio/sat nav makes the Rav's seem quite acceptable!

South of France, even with a Fiat Ducato based campervan, even with a dodgy stanav, is way better than here...
This actually was of interest... do you loose all the Toyota functionality with a replacement unit? (I would have thought so...)
Two-T
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV4!
Year: 2014
Trim Level: Invincible
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Corolla
Year: 1999
Trim: GS

PostPosted by RavPaul » Wed May 10, 2017 11:15 pm

Two-T wrote:[quote="RavPaul"
This actually was of interest... do you loose all the Toyota functionality with a replacement unit? (I would have thought so...)

My thinking also, but I would love to be proved wrong. Can anyone enlighten us on keeping Toyota functionality with after-market head units?
RavPaul
Club Member
Club Member

PostPosted by Hoovie » Thu May 11, 2017 8:07 am

Now again this comment is based on units connected to VWs, but the newer Xtron and Pumpkin units I mentioned are connected to the Canbus system of the vehicle while is pretty typical nowadays for "Infotainment" units) and on the VWs show what the OEM unit showed - so doors open graphic, reversing sensor pic, digital speedo, etc.
It is quite probable that the same will be true of a Toyota-focussed aftermarket unit as the relevant 'app' (these are all android units nowadays) will have been setup to read the Toyota Canbus data.
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Citroen DS5 μ-Hybrid
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

Return to SUV Technical Q & A