Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Gearbox Issue

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Gearbox Issue

PostPosted by ipriceian » Tue May 09, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi All, bought a 2006 D4-D T180 with 150,000 miles on the clock recently to tow a caravan. Shortly after purchasing I noticed that 1st, 2nd & the reverse gear stick alot and crunch going from 1st to 2nd. Waiting to get some opinions from mechanics but been looking in the mean time for Gearbox prices.

Anyone bought gearboxes from 1st choice spares online and how they found it?

Also anyone else experiance this problem and wether it required a complete new gearbox to repair?

Thanks All!
Driving a 2006 RAV4 2.2 D-4D T180
ipriceian

Primary Vehicle: 2.2 D-4D T180
Year: 2006
Trim Level: T180
Fuel Type: Diesel

Re: Gearbox Issue

PostPosted by Davrav » Tue May 09, 2017 4:51 pm

First to second is notoriously agricultural and requires a slow and deliberate touch. As for reverse, not sure but has the gearbox oil ever been changed?
RAV4 Drivers Club - For all things RAV4 and much, much more!
Davrav
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 4.3
Year: 2008
Trim Level: XTR+
Other Vehicle: Mitsubishi ASX
Year: 2017
Trim: Auto

PostPosted by anchorman » Tue May 09, 2017 4:57 pm

Agreed. Try another T180 before spending big money on it. You might get an improvement by changing the oil but don't expect miracles. It MUST be straight 75W oil mind.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by Voyager » Tue May 09, 2017 11:41 pm

Never had any issues going from 1st to 2nd on my T180 with 77k on the clock, but do sometimes have to cycle through a few forward gears before I can get reverse.
Not sure I'd want to be towing in a car with 150k miles on the clock,asking for trouble in my humble opinion.
Hope you get it sorted.
But a good T180 is a smashing car though.
Don't count the days..make the days count.
Carpe Diem...don't think just do.
Voyager
'500 Club' Member
'500 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: Rav 4.3
Other Vehicle: Range Rover evoque
Year: 2014
Trim: Dynamic

PostPosted by anchorman » Wed May 10, 2017 6:03 am

Voyager wrote:Never had any issues going from 1st to 2nd on my T180 with 77k on the clock, but do sometimes have to cycle through a few forward gears before I can get reverse.
Not sure I'd want to be towing in a car with 150k miles on the clock,asking for trouble in my humble opinion.
Hope you get it sorted.
But a good T180 is a smashing car though.

I'd rather have a well cared for 150k mile care than a badly neglected 50k car though Paul. Not sure the mileage is relevant :s_thumbsup
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by ipriceian » Wed May 10, 2017 11:59 am

Hey guys, thanks for the responces!

It has been well looked after with a full service history and is in excellent condition and drives superbly apart from 1st and 2nd. I used to have a 2004 2.0 D-4D which I used to tow with and the T180 has a much better drive and power.

Gearbox oil was changed in December 2016 but has down 6k miles since then, it also had the flywheel changed as well. I actually had the garage who done that work under the previous owner take a look at it but claimed it has nothing to do with the work they carried out.

Problem I have if I try to sell it on when any prospective buyers drive it they will expect alot of money knocked off becuase of the gearbox. So i could potientionally lose more money selling it on compared to fixing it.
ipriceian

PostPosted by Davrav » Wed May 10, 2017 2:58 pm

I wonder if the gear selector cables could do with a bit of adjustment?
RAV4 Drivers Club - For all things RAV4 and much, much more!
Davrav
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 4.3
Year: 2008
Trim Level: XTR+
Other Vehicle: Mitsubishi ASX
Year: 2017
Trim: Auto

PostPosted by Phaeton » Thu May 11, 2017 6:52 pm

anchorman wrote:I'd rather have a well cared for 150k mile care than a badly neglected 50k car though Paul. Not sure the mileage is relevant :s_thumbsup
Yes me too, but it does depend on how bad the 1st to 2nd is, there's at least one other post on here, where we all agree 1st to 2nd is not good,
Phaeton
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.3
Year: 2007
Trim Level: XT5
Other Vehicle: Auris, Funbuggy
Fuel Type: Petrol

PostPosted by RAVAsher » Sun May 14, 2017 9:14 pm

Isn't the 1st to 2nd normal on the T180? Ours does it occasionally but virtually every one we considered did the same. I recall asking the same question on here and was told it's common. Reverse is usually ok but if doesn't go in first time I usually put it into 1st and back in reverse and it's fine.
We're thinking of upgrading too this year but not decided which one will go.
Formally knows as "Yaris781"
It's better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you are not!!

fully charged ready to go now. wireless charging can be recharged on the go without looking for a PowerPoint
RAVAsher
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.3
Other Vehicle: Rav 4
Year: 2002
Trim: 2.0 VVTi VX
Fuel Type: Petrol

PostPosted by ipriceian » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:08 pm

Well after alot of investigation and complete removal of my engine, gear box and clutch by my local garage it turns out the problems was caused by a faulty repair by the garage who had carried out repairs on the clutch under the previous owners.

The same garage who claimed it was nothing to do with them when I had taken it back to them to check.

I have been informed that even through the part that has caused the damage to the clutch and gear box was not replaced by the previous garage it would have had to be removed to carry out their repairs and it was clearly put back wrong and caused the drive shaft to shift slightly damaging the gear box and clutch.(I think that's what they said, I'm no mechanic and the rolled off alot of mechanical terms when trying to explain to me).

Total cost of the repais is around £1,700 so hoping to get this resolved quickly so I can get my car back.
They are writting up a report and taken pictures to back this up for me to send off to the other garage and are very confident it's a clean cut case and willing to back me up in small claims court if they refuse.
ipriceian

Return to SUV Technical Q & A