Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals


Injector Pump Disaster!

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Re: Injector Pump Disaster!

PostPosted by anchorman » Tue May 09, 2017 11:40 am

Whatever happens, it's still cheaper than changing the car.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

Image
User avatar
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator
 
Posts: 4961
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:43 pm
Real Name: Don
Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel
Country: England

Re: Injector Pump Disaster!

PostPosted by shcm » Tue May 09, 2017 11:57 am

Big Kev wrote:Cannot see the injector pump bothering with sort of diesel it pumps.....Supermarket piddle only really damages at combustion time my non-expert heid tells me.


Maybe Kev, but it was my understanding that diesel injection systems (like rotating things like pumps) relied to some extent on the fuel as a lubricant?

Hence, that's why I thought there was all the "Hoo-ha" about the worse lubricity of low sulphur diesel. Admittedly for this age, the fuel type would/should have been taken into account @ the component design/validation stage.
My RAV4 Average: ImageImageImage

My Urban Cruiser Average: ImageImageImage

This post is © 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 rav4driversclub.com
User avatar
shcm
Club Moderator
Club Moderator
 
Posts: 1084
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:20 pm
Location: West Midlands, UK
Primary Vehicle: RAV 4.4 Hybrid
Year: 2016
Trim Level: Excel with TSS
Fuel Type: Petrol/Electric
Other Vehicle: Urban Cruiser
Year: 2012
Trim: 1.4 D4D
Fuel Type: Diesel
Country: UK

Re: Injector Pump Disaster!

PostPosted by Davrav » Tue May 09, 2017 1:00 pm

If it has ever been mis-fueled with petrol and run for any length of time there would be very little lubricity but surely that would simply lead to internal wear rather than an external leak?
An external leak must be the result of a damaged seal or connection I would have thought :s_scratchhead
RAV4 Drivers Club - For all things RAV4 and much, much more!

Image
User avatar
Davrav
Club Moderator
Club Moderator
 
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:31 pm
Location: Gloucestershire
Real Name: David
Primary Vehicle: RAV4 4.3
Year: 2008
Trim Level: XTR+
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Mitsubishi ASX
Year: 2017
Trim: Auto
Fuel Type: Diesel
Country: England

Re: Injector Pump Disaster!

PostPosted by Hoovie » Tue May 09, 2017 1:22 pm

anchorman wrote:Whatever happens, it's still cheaper than changing the car.


This is very true indeed and unless you have a vehicle that is a right shed, keeping and maintaining will almost always be the most economical way.
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!


Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
User avatar
Hoovie
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 11926
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:56 pm
Location: Scottish Borders
Real Name: David
Primary Vehicle: Citroen DS5 μ-Hybrid
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans
Country: UK

Re: Injector Pump Disaster!

PostPosted by shcm » Tue May 09, 2017 1:27 pm

Davrav wrote:An external leak must be the result of a damaged seal or connection I would have thought :s_scratchhead


Yeah, you'd think so. :s_thumbsup

.....unless prolonged internal wear somehow increases pressure (you'd kind of expect the opposite maybe) which results in seal/joint failure?
My RAV4 Average: ImageImageImage

My Urban Cruiser Average: ImageImageImage

This post is © 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 rav4driversclub.com
User avatar
shcm
Club Moderator
Club Moderator
 
Posts: 1084
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:20 pm
Location: West Midlands, UK
Primary Vehicle: RAV 4.4 Hybrid
Year: 2016
Trim Level: Excel with TSS
Fuel Type: Petrol/Electric
Other Vehicle: Urban Cruiser
Year: 2012
Trim: 1.4 D4D
Fuel Type: Diesel
Country: UK

Re: Injector Pump Disaster!

PostPosted by anchorman » Tue May 09, 2017 1:54 pm

I asked if anything had been done because occasionally somebody will slacken or move a pipe to access something. The pipes should not be reused as they can leak around the unions. There was an instance of a train catching fire because the fuel pipes on a Ford Transit engine it had on (honestly) had been reused. I'd like to have had a little nosey at it because it just doesn't stack up.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

Image
User avatar
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator
 
Posts: 4961
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:43 pm
Real Name: Don
Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel
Country: England

Re: Injector Pump Disaster!

PostPosted by jolak » Tue May 09, 2017 8:01 pm

I'm not entirely happy, but hoping for the best and thanks to everyone for useful feedback.
I went to the garage today with instructions on how to disconnect the Lindop kit and the pump had been taken away by the repairer.
The repairer is going to change a seal, which is apparently the cause of the leak.
The guy at the garage said they wanted £180.00, in addition to the £300 for the repair, to do a full test on the pump. He declined this because he said when they replace the seal, they've got to check it under pressure anyway, so it would be a waste of my money as they don't think there will be anything wrong with the pump other than a leaking seal (I ******* hope!)
I did question the fact that the pump is defective/leaking as it's not a common occurrence nowadays, particularly with Toyota engines.
I was told that for every few hundred good pumps that are turned out, there's bound to be a bad one - which I can't really argue with.
So I've just got to hope they do it in time and that the job's a good one!
In relation to extending my European cover, I have the basic European cover with my package, but the RAC won't extend it to their best package which would cover me for £1500.00 labour charges, should something go wrong and really good car hire and hotel cover, with repatriation of vehicle and caravan if necessary.
Because my caravan is over 7m long, they won't do it?????????
This is putting a damper on a holiday I was looking forward to as I missed last year's September holiday, but there you go - I haven't got steam coming out of my ears yet.
jolak
Club Regular
Club Regular
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:10 am
Country: England

Re: Injector Pump Disaster!

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Tue May 09, 2017 9:31 pm

jolak wrote:I'm not entirely happy, but hoping for the best and thanks to everyone for useful feedback.
I went to the garage today with instructions on how to disconnect the Lindop kit and the pump had been taken away by the repairer.
The repairer is going to change a seal, which is apparently the cause of the leak.
The guy at the garage said they wanted £180.00, in addition to the £300 for the repair, to do a full test on the pump. He declined this because he said when they replace the seal, they've got to check it under pressure anyway, so it would be a waste of my money as they don't think there will be anything wrong with the pump other than a leaking seal (I ******* hope!)
I did question the fact that the pump is defective/leaking as it's not a common occurrence nowadays, particularly with Toyota engines.
I was told that for every few hundred good pumps that are turned out, there's bound to be a bad one - which I can't really argue with.
So I've just got to hope they do it in time and that the job's a good one!
In relation to extending my European cover, I have the basic European cover with my package, but the RAC won't extend it to their best package which would cover me for £1500.00 labour charges, should something go wrong and really good car hire and hotel cover, with repatriation of vehicle and caravan if necessary.
Because my caravan is over 7m long, they won't do it?????????
This is putting a damper on a holiday I was looking forward to as I missed last year's September holiday, but there you go - I haven't got steam coming out of my ears yet.



Try LV for your insurance. We have our Motorhome insured with them plus the Toyota IQ I tow behind it for all and comprehensive cover. I asked them to confirm everything in writing which they did no problems. That is for full European and U.K. use. :s_thumbsup
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
User avatar
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator
 
Posts: 7629
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:34 pm
Location: In the hills of Herefordshire......
Real Name: Charlie
Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Year: 2012
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..
Country: UK

Re: Injector Pump Disaster!

PostPosted by Big Kev » Tue May 09, 2017 9:44 pm

shcm wrote:
Big Kev wrote:Cannot see the injector pump bothering with sort of diesel it pumps.....Supermarket piddle only really damages at combustion time my non-expert heid tells me.


Maybe Kev, but it was my understanding that diesel injection systems (like rotating things like pumps) relied to some extent on the fuel as a lubricant?

Hence, that's why I thought there was all the "Hoo-ha" about the worse lubricity of low sulphur diesel. Admittedly for this age, the fuel type would/should have been taken into account @ the component design/validation stage.


.....but the injector is at the combustion and HOT end of the cycle Andy.......the pump is just that afaik......a high pressure cold electro mechanical widget that won't give a monkeez about fuel quality.....naw....?
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic
 
Posts: 4022
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:45 pm
Location: Nr Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name: Kevin
Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SR Auto
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2004
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.
Country: Scotland

Re: Injector Pump Disaster!

PostPosted by Two-T » Tue May 09, 2017 9:52 pm

jolak wrote:I'm not entirely happy, but hoping for the best and thanks to everyone for useful feedback.
I went to the garage today with instructions on how to disconnect the Lindop kit and the pump had been taken away by the repairer.
The repairer is going to change a seal, which is apparently the cause of the leak.
The guy at the garage said they wanted £180.00, in addition to the £300 for the repair, to do a full test on the pump. He declined this because he said when they replace the seal, they've got to check it under pressure anyway, so it would be a waste of my money as they don't think there will be anything wrong with the pump other than a leaking seal (I ******* hope!)
I did question the fact that the pump is defective/leaking as it's not a common occurrence nowadays, particularly with Toyota engines.
I was told that for every few hundred good pumps that are turned out, there's bound to be a bad one - which I can't really argue with.
So I've just got to hope they do it in time and that the job's a good one!
In relation to extending my European cover, I have the basic European cover with my package, but the RAC won't extend it to their best package which would cover me for £1500.00 labour charges, should something go wrong and really good car hire and hotel cover, with repatriation of vehicle and caravan if necessary.
Because my caravan is over 7m long, they won't do it?????????
This is putting a damper on a holiday I was looking forward to as I missed last year's September holiday, but there you go - I haven't got steam coming out of my ears yet.


Do not despair!
Are you a member of the Caravan club or camping and caravan club?
The caravan club has 'Red Pennant' - not cheap, but certainly peace of mind - as if something happens they will do everything to allow you to continue your holiday, and will help you fix or repatriate the car. They have quite a good reputation (thank god I did not need them).
TBH, I did it only once when I was not that confident the car will make it (last trip with the Avensis), but if you have any concerns, I would do that.
I think the camping and caravan club has something similar.

Hope all will go well!
User avatar
Two-T
Club Supporter
Club Supporter
 
Posts: 1034
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:15 pm
Primary Vehicle: RAV4!
Year: 2014
Trim Level: Invincible
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Corolla
Year: 1999
Trim: GS
Fuel Type: Petrol
Country: UK

PreviousNext

Return to SUV Technical Q & A

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


Interested in being a Club Supporter? Click Here!



Powered by Prophpbb Premium | Report Abuse | Privacy