Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Oil change/consumption

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Oil change/consumption

PostPosted by RAVAsher » Sat May 06, 2017 3:23 pm

The 4.3 is due its 5000 mile oil and filter change hopefully next weekend. Did an oil check this morning and it was halfway between the min and max marks. Is that ok? Previous oil change it hasn't budged :s_scratchhead
Formally knows as "Yaris781"
It's better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you are not!!

fully charged ready to go now. wireless charging can be recharged on the go without looking for a PowerPoint
RAVAsher
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.3
Year: 2006
Trim Level: T180
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Rav 4
Year: 2002
Trim: 2.0 VVTi VX
Fuel Type: Petrol

Re: Oil change/consumption

PostPosted by Rambler » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:55 pm

Had an issue with mine today :rolleyes:
Was driving home from work, and had the low oil warning tone sound with ' check oil ' displayed on the dash.
I check mine each weekend usually, but unusually didn't last weekend.
So I popped it to Colchester Toyota straight away this evening.
We checked it , oil was about 1cm above min Mark ( where it was a few weeks ago )
They even made a note of it , but they're topping it up with 1ltr tomorrow.
I'm to continue to check it as I do , but report back to them after 1k miles to 're check and check for oil consumption.

They reckon 1ltr of oil per 1k miles is acceptable with this engine ?
My old blue 4.2 didn't drink....any.....oil.
Lifes too short.

Work to live , Not live to work..

Previous vehicle , 2002 3dr Baleric blue D4D Rav4.
Then 2014 Honda Jazz EX 1.4
Now ,2012 Rav4 XT-R 2.2 D4D....brilliant.
Rambler
'750 Club' Member
'750 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Xt-R 2.2 D4D.
Year: 2012
Trim Level: XT-R

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:04 pm

1 litre in 1000 miles would have called for a replacement engine not so long ago.

That said Jamie yours is the 150 engine and while one or two have had problems it's very few.

Stop that worrying !!!!!
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..

PostPosted by Rambler » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:21 pm

CharlieFarlie wrote:1 litre in 1000 miles would have called for a replacement engine not so long ago.

That said Jamie yours is the 150 engine and while one or two have had problems it's very few.

Stop that worrying !!!!!

:s_thumbsup
Lifes too short.

Rambler
'750 Club' Member
'750 Club' Member

PostPosted by anchorman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:37 pm

Your old one would have used oil if it had the same oil as your current one. Fully synthetic oil will find its way past just about any modern engine. Doesn't concern me at all.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by Rambler » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:12 pm

anchorman wrote:Your old one would have used oil if it had the same oil as your current one. Fully synthetic oil will find its way past just about any modern engine. Doesn't concern me at all.

Ok dokey Don...
Thanks.
:s_thumbsup
Lifes too short.

Rambler
'750 Club' Member
'750 Club' Member

PostPosted by olderbutnotwiser » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:48 am

When it does come to the change for the ( 4.3 ) 150 engine, does it matter if you go for C2 or C3 ?

I noticed there's C4 ACEA spec now. Is that better / worse / just for different engine entirely ?
Back to rav stuff
olderbutnotwiser
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: Rav 4
Year: 2011
Fuel Type: diesel
Other Vehicle: Seat Leon
Trim: FR
Fuel Type: Petrol

PostPosted by philip42h » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:33 am

olderbutnotwiser wrote:When it does come to the change for the ( 4.3 ) 150 engine, does it matter if you go for C2 or C3 ?

I noticed there's C4 ACEA spec now. Is that better / worse / just for different engine entirely ?

The ACEA 'C' specifications are summarised below - note that they are all "Catalyst compatible" oils and thus generally low ash oils.

Toyota specify C2 grade which is mid-SAPS and low viscosity - so that is what I will use.

The C3 grade is similarly mid-SAPS but higher / medium viscosity.

C4 is low-SAPS with the same higher / medium viscosity as C3.

The increasing numbers just relate to different specs rather than better or worse ...

If I were to be tempted away from Toyota's specification it might be to C1 which has the same viscosity rating as C2 but lower SAPS (but I won't - I'll stick with what is specified in the handbook!)

C: Catalyst compatibility oils wrote:
Note: These Oils will increase the DPF/GPF and TWC life and maintain the Vehicle’s Fuel Economy.
Warning: Some of these Categories may be unsuitable for use in certain Engine Types – consult the vehicle- OEM’s owner’s manual/handbook in case of doubt.

ACEA C1 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Lowest SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Low Viscosity Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 2.9 mPa*s.

ACEA C2 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Low Viscosity Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 2.9 mPa*s.

ACEA C3 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 3.5 mPa*s.

ACEA C4 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Low SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 3.5 mPa*s.

ACEA C5 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS-Level, for further improved Fuel Economy, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable and OEM-approved for use of Low Viscosity Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 2.6 mPa*s.
Philip
philip42h
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.4 Auto
Trim Level: Icon

PostPosted by anchorman » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:47 am

I think the latest spec for any RAV with the 2.2 2AD engine and has the "Toyota Optimal Drive" sticker in the back window (or did have when it was new) should have 0W/30 PFE which is C3. I see they are knocking it out on eBay at £90 for 5 litres but I got it for £30 by buying 2 cases at my local dealer.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by Rambler » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:13 am

Sorry folks, I know.... i worry too much!

But I'm curious , if my dipstick reading is fine - why would it sound and warn me of low oil?

I can only go by the dipstick reading?
Lifes too short.

Rambler
'750 Club' Member
'750 Club' Member

Next

Return to SUV Technical Q & A