Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Oil change/consumption

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Re: Oil change/consumption

PostPosted by Ravinder » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:03 pm

Whilst were on the subject of dipsticks and oil, has anyone else experienced that the oil level on the 2 sides of the dipstick give slightly different levels..?? Our RAV is a 2004 d4d..
Ravinder

Primary Vehicle: D4d 4door
Year: 2004
Trim Level: xt3
Fuel Type: diesel

PostPosted by jase hutch » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 pm

Same as mine and in the owners manual it tells you to use the reading on the back of the dipstick, which is the side nearest the engine.. ;)
jase hutch
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.2. 3dr
Trim Level: XT3
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ
Year: 2011
Trim: Auto
Fuel Type: Petrol

PostPosted by anchorman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:33 am

Well all I can tell you is that mine did use a lot of oil right from new. I put at least 1-2 litres in between services (about 6-10k miles) and it never bothered me. I know a few people that have them and they all do the same. If they have the “Toyota Optimal Drive” sticker in the back window, they were factory filled with fully synthetic oil. I don’t consider it an engine fault, I consider it a knock on effect from using fully synthetic which could find its way up a fish’s backside - it can get left deposited on the wall of the cylinder then gets burned out in combustion. The oil should always be checked on a Sunday morning. Don’t know why, its just something I’ve always done then wash the car!!! Really, it does measure more consistently after quite an overnight stand.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by Rambler » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:32 am

anchorman wrote:Well all I can tell you is that mine did use a lot of oil right from new. I put at least 1-2 litres in between services (about 6-10k miles) and it never bothered me. I know a few people that have them and they all do the same. If they have the “Toyota Optimal Drive” sticker in the back window, they were factory filled with fully synthetic oil. I don’t consider it an engine fault, I consider it a knock on effect from using fully synthetic which could find its way up a fish’s backside - it can get left deposited on the wall of the cylinder then gets burned out in combustion. The oil should always be checked on a Sunday morning. Don’t know why, its just something I’ve always done then wash the car!!! Really, it does measure more consistently after quite an overnight stand.

I must admit , I also checked mine after a night stood still and got the same reading too.
So.....i shall continue as I am , check it regularly just as I did my old blue one. :s_thumbsup
If it's good enough for you Don , it'l do me :Y
Lifes too short.

Work to live , Not live to work..

Previous vehicle , 2002 3dr Baleric blue D4D Rav4.
Then 2014 Honda Jazz EX 1.4
Now ,2012 Rav4 XT-R 2.2 D4D.
Rambler
'750 Club' Member
'750 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Xt-R 2.2 D4D.
Year: 2012
Trim Level: XT-R

PostPosted by Ravinder » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:15 pm

Thanks Jase....I did think as to whether I should ask the question as I hate ridicule ... especially if it appears I cannot read a dipstick correctly...!!
Ravinder

Primary Vehicle: D4d 4door
Trim Level: xt3
Fuel Type: diesel

PostPosted by Hoovie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:29 pm

Ravinder wrote:Thanks Jase....I did think as to whether I should ask the question as I hate ridicule ... especially if it appears I cannot read a dipstick correctly...!!

You are free to ask any questions. No one will ridicule you here! We may often have lively debates and disagreements, but never ridicule!

Anchormans last comment explains very well to me what happened with my 150SR - I thought I was low on oil, but I had checked it about 15 minutes after a 60 miles drive, and not knowing the 'feature' of how fully-synth oil sticks, bought some Mobil 1 ESP from the Halfords I was parked near. But when I went to top up the oil (on the following day, which happened to be a Sunday ;) ), the level was at the correct level again.
I still have that oil, opened but never actually used, over 5 years later!
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by jase hutch » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:03 pm

Ravinder wrote:Thanks Jase....I did think as to whether I should ask the question as I hate ridicule ... especially if it appears I cannot read a dipstick correctly...!!

I would just check in your owners manual though Jamie to be sure as mines an older engine than yours.
jase hutch
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.2. 3dr
Trim Level: XT3
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ
Year: 2011
Trim: Auto

PostPosted by DjRav » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Ravinder wrote:Whilst were on the subject of dipsticks and oil, has anyone else experienced that the oil level on the 2 sides of the dipstick give slightly different levels..?? Our RAV is a 2004 d4d..

My 57 plate had vastly varying levels. I roughed it up with sand paper which seems to help make it more accurate

NB use Morris oil in mine, fully synth and very rarely have I needed topping up between services (had it 7 years now)
Dave

Daves are everywhere. Some say you're never more than 10 feet from a Dave.
DjRav
Club Master
Club Master

Primary Vehicle: Black 4.3
Year: 2007
Trim Level: XTR
Other Vehicle: Landrover Discovery
Year: 2002

PostPosted by NickB75 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:15 am

I just added 0.3L of 0w30 to my car this morning. The car has done 1600miles since last service. The oil was still nice and clear.
So I guess I'll be adding about 2ltrs between services, not too bad.
I remember my old Skoda 1.9pd that thing didn't consume oil ,but the oil would go black very quickly, same with a Colt 1.5d I had.
NickB75
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV4
Year: 2010
Trim Level: X-TR
Fuel Type: Heavy Oil

PostPosted by Hoovie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:54 pm

Oil Time!

I don't really understand the oil grade thing, and I know different manufacturers have their own codes for oil specs, but ... I thought this C2 and C3 thing was a industry standard thing, and you could combine the C2 or C3 code with the viscosity to find the oil that is right for your vehicle?

But ... currently in the shed I have the following:
* Mobil 1 ESP, which is a C3 Fully Synth oil - cost around £50 for 5L I think
* Quantum Longlife , which is a C3 Fully Synth oil for VWs with a DPF (VW code for this oil is 507 to suit my VW T5) - RRP is around £35 for 5L, and I paid £18.50 with VW Staff Discount
* Quantum Platinum 5W40, which again is a C3 Fully Synth oil for VWs, but no DPF (VW code for this oil includes the 504 code for my vehicle) - RRP is much lower at about £21 for 5L (I paid £12).
I mention the discounted price as one oil cost me with a big discount near enough the same as the others RRP, so must be a genuine difference?

but these are all C3 oils?? how the hell are you meant to know, if you are buying a NON-car maker branded oil, what is right as you don't seem to be able to use the C3 code ? :s_scratchhead
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PreviousNext

Return to SUV Technical Q & A