Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Front brakes binding.

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Front brakes binding.

PostPosted by nickcc » Tue May 02, 2017 3:39 pm

Just posting this for info.

Pulled up at home and smelt the distinct smell of friction material, as automatic presumed brakes binding. Had renewed rear calipers about 18 months ago suspected fault was the front brakes. Turned out the O/S/F caliper sliding pins had seized which left the pads pressed hard against the disc. Took the caliper off and the outer dust excluder was in tatters so decided to replace both front calipers. Now the point of my post, costed new calipers at local supplier, £267 per pair plus large surcharge, ECP £240 with massive discount plus surcharge so went on eBay and bought from suppliers of rear calipers at £129 per pair with new sliding pins etc and no surcharge. Supplier was company called Brake Parts if anyone's interested.
RAV4 2.0 VVT-I XTR auto November 2005.
nickcc
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV 4.2
Year: 2005
Fuel Type: Petrol

Re: Front brakes binding.

PostPosted by Big Kev » Tue May 02, 2017 5:29 pm

Mine in at Arnie on Thursday for very same fing, Nick.....see my post "Wassat Pong Mins" of much recentness........ :s_thumbsup

Don.....it was 4/2016 we did front discs and pads and cleaned every bliddy thing to your bonkers standard and re-lubed pins.......exactly a year and we think the pins the culprit.....? Hopefully caliper, as that way is warranty......if not, and let's face it, it will suit dealer to be a NON WARRANTY issue, it will be £84.00 an hour to look at plus any consumptibles....... :shok:
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SR Auto
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2004
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

PostPosted by Hoovie » Tue May 02, 2017 6:19 pm

Kev, I would be surprised if Toyota don't consider it a warranty item as they have Pads and Discs as a wear and tear item, but nothing else on the brake side is excluded, so even if it were the sliders, they would still be an integral part of the Caliper/Carrier assembly.

I got my discs AND pads replaced under warranty due to a warped disc on a 4 year old RAV4, and your problem is less Wear and Tear then that would have been?
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by Uncle bob » Tue May 02, 2017 8:30 pm

nickcc wrote:Just posting this for info.

Pulled up at home and smelt the distinct smell of friction material, as automatic presumed brakes binding. Had renewed rear calipers about 18 months ago suspected fault was the front brakes. Turned out the O/S/F caliper sliding pins had seized which left the pads pressed hard against the disc. Took the caliper off and the outer dust excluder was in tatters so decided to replace both front calipers. Now the point of my post, costed new calipers at local supplier, £267 per pair plus large surcharge, ECP £240 with massive discount plus surcharge so went on eBay and bought from suppliers of rear calipers at £129 per pair with new sliding pins etc and no surcharge. Supplier was company called Brake Parts if anyone's interested.

I've used them before without any problems :s_thumbsup
https://brakeparts.co.uk
Past Rav4's owned......
1996 import 3 door RAV4 J type.
2004 XT3 3 door.
RAV4 DRIVERS CLUB. The number one choice for UK Rav4 owners.
My big jobs thread....post15823.html#p15823
Uncle bob
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Lexus
Year: 2003
Trim Level: SC430
Other Vehicle: Toyota Aygo
Year: 2006
Trim: Sport

PostPosted by RAVAsher » Thu May 04, 2017 9:09 pm

Shame I didn't know about these just bought a set of discs a few weeks back
:(
Formally knows as "Yaris781"
It's better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you are not!!

fully charged ready to go now. wireless charging can be recharged on the go without looking for a PowerPoint
RAVAsher
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.3
Year: 2006
Trim Level: T180
Other Vehicle: Rav 4
Year: 2002
Trim: 2.0 VVTi VX

PostPosted by Big Kev » Thu May 04, 2017 11:31 pm

Don sent me a PM PREDICTING that problem would be caused by seizification of Guide Pins.......guess what.....? He was nearly right......problem traced to seizification of guide pins.......

Bill.....? £108.00 to clean and grease, includeful of "extended Road Tests" before and after.

Ach......gubberit.......obviously when Don got me to clean to NHS standards last year, provide him with lubricant he sent me, then show him how to rectumfy.......never mind........ :s_blush......next time, I will speak to a brakes expert....
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Trim Level: SR Auto
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2004
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

PostPosted by anchorman » Fri May 05, 2017 2:41 am

Big Kev wrote:Don sent me a PM PREDICTING that problem would be caused by seizification of Guide Pins.......guess what.....? He was nearly right......problem traced to seizification of guide pins.......

Bill.....? £108.00 to clean and grease, includeful of "extended Road Tests" before and after.

Ach......gubberit.......obviously when Don got me to clean to NHS standards last year, provide him with lubricant he sent me, then show him how to rectumfy.......never mind........ :s_blush......next time, I will speak to a brakes expert....

My old RAV has had exactly the same strip down and lube but never missed a beat and it stands most of the year with its new owner. Its a pity you live in the North Pole.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by shcm » Fri May 05, 2017 6:41 am

Don, ar kid,

Does thee know whether all the pad manufacturers tend to use roughly the same material (chemical composition) for the base plate? (If that's the right term for it. i.e. the thing wot the friction material is bonded to).
My RAV4 Average: ImageImageImage

My Urban Cruiser Average: ImageImageImage

This post is © 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 rav4driversclub.com
shcm
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV 4.4 Hybrid
Year: 2016
Trim Level: Excel with TSS
Fuel Type: Petrol/Electric
Other Vehicle: Urban Cruiser
Trim: 1.4 D4D

PostPosted by anchorman » Fri May 05, 2017 8:06 pm

shcm wrote:Don, ar kid,

Does thee know whether all the pad manufacturers tend to use roughly the same material (chemical composition) for the base plate? (If that's the right term for it. i.e. the thing wot the friction material is bonded to).

Yes, the backplate is virtually the same mild steel pressing that they all use. The friction material is only a variation of a theme no matter who makes it too.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by nickcc » Fri May 05, 2017 8:49 pm

Many years ago the company I worked for operated a few hundred tank trailers all of which had load sensing. Every year we had a problem getting them through the annual test due to the linings being glazed. The answer was to routinely reline the brakes prior to the test, a very expensive procedure. We decided to try a different lining material, Don 262 comes to mind, which solved the glazing problem. There must surely be different friction material for different braking applications even with the same vehicle, I can't imagine that the same pad material would be suitable for the same vehicle type when it's sold in many different parts of the world.
RAV4 2.0 VVT-I XTR auto November 2005.
nickcc
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV 4.2
Year: 2005

Return to SUV Technical Q & A