Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

HPI Checking Car Services

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

HPI Checking Car Services

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:54 pm

Been discussions on this topic before and which are the best services to use

I like simplecarcheck and I can't see the difference between using this service, which is well priced against something like HPICheck.co.uk, which is supposedly the best?

Well, maybe the HPI Check fans can reconsider how much to pay?

HPICheck.co.uk - One Vehicle Check - £24.99, pack of 3 Checks (use within 2 years) - £29.97
simplecarcheck.co.uk - One Vehicle Check - £9.99, pack of 4 Checks (that never expire) - £19.96

The Difference in HPI info? you tell me ...
From Simple Car Check - "Our Finance Checks are supplied directly from HPI™ Check and include the finance company, finance start date and a reference number if found."

Simple Car Checks link to the HPI Check DB is fairly new and only found this this evening when I checked to see what number of checks I had left, so thought it worth mentioning as the report you get from Simple Car Check is very comprehensive already and this will only enhance it :s_howdy
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

Re: HPI Checking Car Services

PostPosted by Uncle bob » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:33 am

Sounds like a bargain if the same Hpi information......I've saved it for future reference :s_thumbsup
Past Rav4's owned......
1996 import 3 door RAV4 J type.
2004 XT3 3 door.
RAV4 DRIVERS CLUB. The number one choice for UK Rav4 owners.
My big jobs thread....post15823.html#p15823
Uncle bob
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Lexus
Year: 2003
Trim Level: SC430
Other Vehicle: Toyota Aygo
Year: 2006
Trim: Sport

PostPosted by Milton » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:22 am

Perhaps the difference is that HPIcheck back up their data with a £30,000 bond so if you buy the car and it is then found to have an issue that should have been picked up in the check then they pay out.

Also get recall info on hpi and a few other bits.

At the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice :s_thumbsup
Milton
Club Regular
Club Regular

Primary Vehicle: Nissan Xtrail
Trim Level: Tekna
Other Vehicle: Nissan Juke
Trim: Tekna

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:08 pm

Milton wrote:Perhaps the difference is that HPIcheck back up their data with a £30,000 bond so if you buy the car and it is then found to have an issue that should have been picked up in the check then they pay out.

Also get recall info on hpi and a few other bits.

At the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice :s_thumbsup

Have you checked to see what kind of clauses there are on that bond? I am willing to bet 99 out of a 100 people will be in breach of the T&Cs to be able to claim should they try :rolleyes:

As a very quick and obvious one (most are hidden away) .... say you are interested in a car you see advertised, when do you do an HPI type check? Before you go to look at it? (Breach of T&C , void guarantee). After you have been to look at it? (ditto). Have to do the HPI check when by the vehicle.
Where do you view it? Owners address is recommended, yes? Well, need to be at the address recorded on the V5C IIRC, so unless you and the car dealer in the case of a trade sale are going to meet up at the last recorded keepers address to view it, guess what? Yup :Y

Ok. It's a private sale at the keepers address and you do an HPI check while there it should be ok then? :s_scratchhead well, only if you check the VIN numbers are correct. Seems reasonable enough as you may well check the VIN plate as a diligent buyer :s_thumbsup but wait, you have to check and note EVERY VIN number at all places. And who knows where all those places are? I know of 7 on the RAV4.3 and probably only know those as quite familiar with that vehicle. One I am new to? No chance.

Fancy being able to make that claim now do you? :shok:

Oh ... and any data that proves to be wrong but was not generated by HPI specifically is also excluded as a reason to claim.
Bond, Scmond

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

PostPosted by Milton » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:14 pm

Easy tiger. All I did was identify some differences. As I said "you pays your money" :s_thumbsup
Milton
Club Regular
Club Regular

Primary Vehicle: Nissan Xtrail
Trim Level: Tekna
Other Vehicle: Nissan Juke
Trim: Tekna

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:39 pm

Milton wrote:Easy tiger. All I did was identify some differences. As I said "you pays your money" :s_thumbsup

I know, but people get suckered in by the adverts ;)

Another example .... everyones favourite directory enquiries service ... 118 118 ... over £6.50 to get a number!
Or maybe try BT ... £5.80+ for 118 500 . But (think about two services using same data...) BT also offer a 118 707 service for £1.50

Same info, wildly different prices.

Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Re: 118 118 charges warning!

PostPosted by philip42h » Mon May 01, 2017 7:51 am

Hoovie wrote:Another example .... everyones favourite directory enquiries service ... 118 118 ... over £6.50 to get a number!
Or maybe try BT ... £5.80+ for 118 500 . But (think about two services using same data...) BT also offer a 118 707 service for £1.50

The 118 118 warning might be worth repeating by way of a 'public service announcement' for those, like me until last week, who didn't know ... 118 118 actually charge
118 118 wrote:£4.49 per call plus £4.49 per minute, (minimum 60 second charge applies)inc vat. This is the service charge. In addition you will be charged an access charge per minute by the company that bills you for calls.
- this information taken from their website today.

What they don't make clear is that if you allow them to connect the call, you continue to pay 118 118 £4.49 per minute.

Last month my wife wound up paying over £17 for a single 'two minute' call - she was 'out', thought that she needed a locksmith in a hurry and 118 118 was the directory enquiry service that she could remember. She called on EE which adds a further 50p per minute access charge to the cost. We got off very lightly - it was a relatively cheap lesson learned - I now see that there are reports of folk getting bills into the £100s for using 118 118. You will have seen on TV that they are now advertising a "loan sharking" service too.

Back closer to topic, they also offer (but don't advertise as far as I can see) "a simplified and low cost version of our directory service. One search = one fixed fee. Calls to 118 811 cost £1 per call plus your telephone company’s network access charge." From the users point of view essentially the same service at a far lower price.
Philip
philip42h
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.4 Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Icon
Fuel Type: Diesel

Re: 118 118 charges warning!

PostPosted by Hoovie » Mon May 08, 2017 6:50 pm

philip42h wrote:
Hoovie wrote:Another example .... everyones favourite directory enquiries service ... 118 118 ... over £6.50 to get a number!

The 118 118 warning might be worth repeating by way of a 'public service announcement' for those, like me until last week, who didn't know ... 118 118 actually charge
118 118 wrote:£4.49 per call plus £4.49 per minute, (minimum 60 second charge applies)inc vat. This is the service charge. In addition you will be charged an access charge per minute by the company that bills you for calls.
- this information taken from their website today.

What they don't make clear is that if you allow them to connect the call, you continue to pay 118 118 £4.49 per minute.

Last month my wife wound up paying over £17 for a single 'two minute' call - she was 'out', thought that she needed a locksmith in a hurry and 118 118 was the directory enquiry service that she could remember. She called on EE which adds a further 50p per minute access charge to the cost. We got off very lightly - it was a relatively cheap lesson learned - I now see that there are reports of folk getting bills into the £100s for using 118 118. You will have seen on TV that they are now advertising a "loan sharking" service too.

Back closer to topic, they also offer (but don't advertise as far as I can see) "a simplified and low cost version of our directory service. One search = one fixed fee. Calls to 118 811 cost £1 per call plus your telephone company’s network access charge." From the users point of view essentially the same service at a far lower price.

Ofcom to probe high cost of directory enquiry calls
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39842723

Part of report ...
"...One popular enquiry service - 118 118 - recently increased its prices to a minimum of £8.98.
But Ofcom says some firms charge even more than that - up to £10.50 a call.
In a previous enquiry the watchdog decided against imposing a stipulated price cap on such charges, but it could now review that decision.
Under the current system operators are therefore free to charge up to a maximum of £23.97 for calls of less than a minute....."

Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Return to Car Talk