Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Wassat Pong Mins?

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Wassat Pong Mins?

PostPosted by Big Kev » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:16 pm

Very concerned my mins......most times on leaving the car, externally and easily I am picking up a smell of OVERHEATING of something or other........specific, eh......? Last time I smelt this, it was actually a binding brake on Funnerburd Too, but, worryingly, this pong is coming from Funnerburd Wan......MY Rav.
So.......very gingerly poked a finger through to all four discs, having first tried the alloys.....nothing amiss.....all at a temperature I would expect after a wee motorway and local trip. What IS at the back of my mind is that due to ongoing nerve trappification in the leg, I was not in a position to show Don, again, how to renew rear discs and pads AND handbrake shoes, so got my recently passed away friend Arnie to do them. The smell really does remind me of binding friction materials, but even if it was only mal-adjusted handbrake shoes, surely the disc or discs would be bliddy roasting.
So.....to under bonnet check......and would admit the smell quite strong/stronger maybe on opening bonnet, and accidentally touched hose going to expansion boattle.......that woke me up.......how bliddy hot should that rubber hose be, mins.....? Even restarted car to look for ye dreaded PBS of yesteryear......Pink Bubble Syndrome........but all clear and calm
Well flummoxicated........ :s_scratchhead
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SR Auto
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2004
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

Re: Wassat Pong Mins?

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:59 pm

A regen stinks not unlike hot brakes as the filters get really hot. Sort of burning sulphur smell... :s_thumbsup
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..

PostPosted by Uncle bob » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:01 pm

Few basic checks you can do with the engine Kev, temperature gauge reading normal ? Does the cooling fans cut in with the engine at tickover ?.....check coolant level once vehicle is cold .
Cast your eye over the radiator cores for any leaks of pink coolant :s_thumbsup
With the handbrake shoes maybe sticking.....with the vehicle parked on a very slight gradient , in neutral and handbrake off does the car start to roll ?
Past Rav4's owned......
1996 import 3 door RAV4 J type.
2004 XT3 3 door.
RAV4 DRIVERS CLUB. The number one choice for UK Rav4 owners.
My big jobs thread....post15823.html#p15823
Uncle bob
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Lexus
Year: 2003
Trim Level: SC430
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: Toyota Aygo
Year: 2006
Trim: Sport

PostPosted by Big Kev » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:58 pm

Looks like Charlie spot on......took car out again, got it to normal operating temperature.......and really ripped its rectum along A and M roads locally, returning with no smell whatsoever. My original post shouldah read "most times TODAY" as today only time I have noticed this "hot unpleasant" pong. Maybe my imagination, but it really seems to be running even better now.......selected Sport Mode and played with my two wee flappy paddly things......great fun.
Thanks all, and yes Bob......all tests tried and passed that you suggested.
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

PostPosted by shcm » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:03 pm

To heat up the sausage rolls, can I suggest you place them further from the exhaust manifold next time, min. ;)
My RAV4 Average: ImageImageImage

My Urban Cruiser Average: ImageImageImage

This post is © 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 rav4driversclub.com
shcm
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV 4.4 Hybrid
Year: 2016
Trim Level: Excel with TSS
Fuel Type: Petrol/Electric
Other Vehicle: Urban Cruiser
Trim: 1.4 D4D

PostPosted by anchorman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:17 pm

I never noticed my RAV regenerate but it got driven hard over the hills most days. This Mazda regens about every 100 miles and when it does it stinks of hot metal because the exhaust is super heated. Maybe you just got to a point where it was due Kev. It is initiated by back pressure in the exhaust when there is a build up of carbon in the filter.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by Gus » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:19 pm

anchorman wrote:I never noticed my RAV regenerate but it got driven hard over the hills most days. This Mazda regens about every 100 miles and when it does it stinks of hot metal because the exhaust is super heated. Maybe you just got to a point where it was due Kev. It is initiated by back pressure in the exhaust when there is a build up of carbon in the filter.

What your apprentice said..... just stop driving it like an old git.....have you got a flat cap? :D :driving
Gus (aka :s_crazy :s_wacko )
Ravi 140bhp Diesel Avg Consumption 2009 - 2012 40.9MPG Ravii 150bhp Diesel Avg Consumption 2012 - 2015 39.7MPG
Mazda CX-3 2.0ltr Petrol Auto Image
Gus
'750 Club' Member
'750 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX-3
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sport Nav
Other Vehicle: Triumph America
Trim: Cruiser

PostPosted by Hoovie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Sounds like not the brakes, but it is very easy to tell if it was by feeling (or ideally using an IR Therometer) the wheel temp straight after a drive. You can tell if one has a sticky brake very quickly :s_thumbsup
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by Big Kev » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:44 pm

On reflection, that IS indeed what this occurment has been, and is certainly the first Regen I have been AWARE of, maybe just its first as only doned 30k miles. Don's descriptment just aboot bang on......."hot metal".......smelled like paint burning off a new exhaust. Not my imagination either......bliddy car is FLYING compared to last good few weeks......whubble dammy, mins......thanks for input as per you jill...... :s_thumbsup
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

PostPosted by Big Kev » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:49 pm

shcm wrote:To heat up the sausage rolls, can I suggest you place them further from the exhaust manifold next time, min. ;)

Aha......the Maury's Moray Purvey shall be forthwenting in June, Andy....... :s_blush
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Next