Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Wassat Pong Mins?

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Re: Wassat Pong Mins?

PostPosted by shcm » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:43 am

Big Kev wrote: Aha......the Maury's Moray Purvey shall be forthwenting in June, Andy....... :s_blush
:s_thumbsup :s_thumbsup

It does intrigue me. Jacyee Kone's CX5 lightbulb regenerates every 100 miles. My Curban Ruiser about every 300 miles. Both using the same/similar method.

The RAV uses a different method (5th injector "reheat") and would appear to hardly ever regen.

Does make you wonder, after all the hoo-hah over various incarnations of that 2.2D, whether fundamentally, it is a relatively clean emitting lump of combustion device.

Well, whether it can be taken as any kind of indicator, the engine oil in my previous 2.2 kept relatively clean, compared with the UC.

...just idle comment and curiosity.

(Oh, my subjective observation is my UC seems to drive better, a short while before it regens)
My RAV4 Average: ImageImageImage

My Urban Cruiser Average: ImageImageImage

This post is © 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 rav4driversclub.com
shcm
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV 4.4 Hybrid
Year: 2016
Trim Level: Excel with TSS
Fuel Type: Petrol/Electric
Other Vehicle: Urban Cruiser
Year: 2012
Trim: 1.4 D4D
Fuel Type: Diesel

PostPosted by philip42h » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:56 am

shcm wrote:The RAV uses a different method (5th injector "reheat") and would appear to hardly ever regen.

Does make you wonder, after all the hoo-hah over various incarnations of that 2.2D, whether fundamentally, it is a relatively clean emitting lump of combustion device.

Ah, yes, no ... on both my SR180 and the current 4.4 I have experienced regular, rather than frequent, "essence of interrupted regen" events - i.e. occasions where I park up in the garage and get out to the stench as described above.

<begin speculation>
I've rather assumed that the 'frequency' of occurrence will depend upon the nature of the journeys made. If you just make loads of short trips (say less than 10 miles) the engine may never warm up enough to start a regen in the first place. If you make regular longer journeys (say over 50 miles) any regen acidity will be completed along the way and the driver will be none the wiser. But If all your journeys are on intermediate length (say 10-15 miles) you stand a much better chance of enjoying regen interruptus ...
<end speculation>
Philip
philip42h
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.4 Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Icon

PostPosted by anchorman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:39 am

Phillipe'

What fuel are you using?

Anders. Don't forget mine is Euro VI.

Anybody. My mate who is running two T180s says they both regularly regenerate and both look like a Red Arrow while they are doing it.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by shcm » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:44 am

I like the phrase "Essence of Interrupted Regens". :D

Yeah, Murphy says mine goes into regen about 2 miles before journey end, then I'm reluctant to stop until it's finished, even though it probably makes little difference with this system.

Jaycee Kones wrote: Anybody. My mate who is running two T180s says they both regularly regenerate and both look like a Red Arrow while they are doing it.

Ah, tres interestment mon Amie. :s_thumbsup
My RAV4 Average: ImageImageImage

My Urban Cruiser Average: ImageImageImage

This post is © 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 rav4driversclub.com
shcm
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV 4.4 Hybrid
Year: 2016
Trim Level: Excel with TSS
Fuel Type: Petrol/Electric
Other Vehicle: Urban Cruiser
Trim: 1.4 D4D

PostPosted by philip42h » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:44 am

anchorman wrote:Phillipe'

What fuel are you using?

Anybody. My mate who is running two T180s says they both regularly regenerate and both look like a Red Arrow while they are doing it.

Dear Uncle Don,
I'm a good boy now. I have seen the light and repented my evil ways. For the past year of so my 4.4 has run exclusively on a diet of Shell premium nitro-glycerine when in the UK and/or Total Excellium en france.

Now that I am retired - technically voluntarily and happily redundant rather than drawing a nice fat pension - and trying to 'make do' with the funds that I have I need to make the current D-CAT last for a while so I'm treating it as kindly as I can. That said, on premium fuel and returning from a trip of 12-15 miles on A-roads I have enjoyed a "essence of interrupted regen" event within the last month or so ...

But my pattern of journeys across my two D-CATs since 2009 has changed considerably. While I was regularly travelling for work doing 15,000 miles a year my typical journey was over 100 motorway miles each way and I suspect that most regens occurred en route - and that was mostly on regular diesel since that is all that is available locally. [I'd fill-up with premium fuel when away from home.] I only once notice the SR180 doing a red arrows impersonation ...

My forecast annual mileage is much lower and there will be many more 2-3 miles journey's into town than 100+ mile trips out so I'm looking to treat it as well as I can.

Now, the Euro 5 / 6 thing ... my 2013 registered RAV is defined to comply to the Euro 5 standard and thus it is likely to be banned from various cities at home and in France - I don't particularly care; I just won't go where I'm not wanted. However, checking the emission figures quoted on my V5 it easily meets the requirements set out in the Euro 6 specification - i.e. a 2013 D-CAT is likely to be just as 'clean' as any brand new diesel on the market today. Am I missing something?
Philip
philip42h
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

PostPosted by anchorman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:52 pm

philip42h wrote:
anchorman wrote:Phillipe'

What fuel are you using?

Dear Uncle Don,
I'm a good boy now. I have seen the light and repented my evil ways. For the past year of so my 4.4 has run exclusively on a diet of Shell premium nitro-glycerine when in the UK and/or Total Excellium en france.

Now that I am retired - technically voluntarily and happily redundant rather than drawing a nice fat pension - and trying to 'make do' with the funds that I have I need to make the current D-CAT last for a while so I'm treating it as kindly as I can. That said, on premium fuel and returning from a trip of 12-15 miles on A-roads I have enjoyed a "essence of interrupted regen" event within the last month or so ...

But my pattern of journeys across my two D-CATs since 2009 has changed considerably. While I was regularly travelling for work doing 15,000 miles a year my typical journey was over 100 motorway miles each way and I suspect that most regens occurred en route - and that was mostly on regular diesel since that is all that is available locally. [I'd fill-up with premium fuel when away from home.] I only once notice the SR180 doing a red arrows impersonation ...

My forecast annual mileage is much lower and there will be many more 2-3 miles journey's into town than 100+ mile trips out so I'm looking to treat it as well as I can.

Now, the Euro 5 / 6 thing ... my 2013 registered RAV is defined to comply to the Euro 5 standard and thus it is likely to be banned from various cities at home and in France - I don't particularly care; I just won't go where I'm not wanted. However, checking the emission figures quoted on my V5 it easily meets the requirements set out in the Euro 6 specification - i.e. a 2013 D-CAT is likely to be just as 'clean' as any brand new diesel on the market today. Am I missing something?

Yes you are (missing something). I believe it down to the NOx level on your engine which is a couple of points above the 0.080 level required. It was the same on my RAV D-CAT but its a case of tick one box - it meets or it doesn’t.
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by philip42h » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:22 pm

NOx is given as 0.074 on a 4.4 D-CAT so that's within tolerance ... ;)

A quick copy from the RAV's V5 vs the Euro 6 numbers (according to the AA)

CO – 0.055 vs 0.50 g/km
HC+ NOx – 0.081 vs 0.17 g/km
NOx – 0.074 vs 0.08 g/km
PM – 0.001 vs 0.005 g/km

On paper it seems a very clean machine to me ... :D
Philip
philip42h
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

PostPosted by anchorman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:07 pm

Azit got stop start?

My one azent........ fankully.......

:s_thumbsup

And another thing......

anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by Rambler » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:15 pm

Reading through this....
What....is....regenerating please?
Lifes too short.

Work to live , Not live to work..

Previous vehicle , 2002 3dr Baleric blue D4D Rav4.
Then 2014 Honda Jazz EX 1.4
Now ,2012 Rav4 XT-R 2.2 D4D.
Rambler
'750 Club' Member
'750 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Xt-R 2.2 D4D.
Trim Level: XT-R

PostPosted by philip42h » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Rambler wrote:Reading through this....
What....is....regenerating please?

It's all to do with cleaning out the diesel particulate filter - link to a Toyota blog on the subject ...
Philip
philip42h
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

PreviousNext

Return to SUV Technical Q & A