Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Race 8 - Azerbaijan - Fri 23 – Sun 25 Jun 2017

Discussion on F1 in 2017. Races Reports, Preamble, News and Scandals. Post here!
(not into F1? No problem. Just walk past, nothing to see here)

Re: Race 8 - Azerbaijan - Fri 23 – Sun 25 Jun 2017

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:03 pm

congratulations on yet another pole position- only Michael Schumacher has more. Also Seb is not so far behind. We are lucky to be looking at two of the best F1 drivers of all time.
RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 forum in the UK!

Previous owner of LC3, RAV 4.3 2.2 diesel and 4.3 XT4 2.0 petrol, and many other Toyotas!

DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Honda CRV Auto
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SE+
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: Honda Jazz CVT
Trim: EX

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:37 pm

I get the impression that the two-way rivalry this season is making them both nervous with some unforced errors but at the same time pushing the pair of them to new levels, if that makes sense :)

Not sure if I will get to see the race start live tomorrow (got a 200 mile round trip to do in the morning with a bit of electrics in the middle to do first :( ) but I would not be surprised to see mutiple safety cars and maybe a red flag to make it a 2-part race, so should be able to catch up easily :s_cool
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by Phaeton » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:48 am

jase hutch wrote:
Phaeton wrote:Well done Lewis, must have had an early night

No spoiler...? :s_scratchhead

Doh! Sorry
Phaeton
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.3
Year: 2007
Trim Level: XT5
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Auris, Funbuggy

PostPosted by Phaeton » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:51 am

Hoovie wrote:your Anti-Hamilton posts are getting very tedious. Do you watch the races purely waiting for one particular driver to make a mistake? :rolleyes:
Apologies they aren't actually meant to be anti-Lewis I believe he is one of the top 3 drivers in the F1 paddock currently & his natural talent is amazing, however I just find his what comes across as childishness somewhat irritating, but then I don't have the competitive gene, so have no idea what it takes to get to the top in his or for that matter any other profession.
Phaeton
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:26 pm

Hoovie wrote:I get the impression that the two-way rivalry this season is making them both nervous with some unforced errors but at the same time pushing the pair of them to new levels, if that makes sense :)

Not sure if I will get to see the race start live tomorrow (got a 200 mile round trip to do in the morning with a bit of electrics in the middle to do first :( ) but I would not be surprised to see mutiple safety cars and maybe a red flag to make it a 2-part race, so should be able to catch up easily :s_cool

Still watching the Sky Coverage time-shifted but I think my predictions have come true for this race with 3 safety cars, a red flag and daft "red mist" actions from a driver who should absolutely know better.
Vettel into Hamiltons rear looked to me just Seb expecting Lewis to accelerate faster and misjudged it (I don't think Lewis "brake tasted" at this stage. No doubt this will be confirmed one way or other within this next day or so).
But coming alongside and then ramming another car is not on and I think a driver (ANY driver) who does that should have been black-flagged in the race. The penalty given was very weak and disappointed at the race director's decision.
I would not be surprised to see a follow-up penalty being given, like a grid-drop in the next race, certainly a fine (not that this matters to the drivers) and points on the license.

Entertaining race. Stroll going from zero to hero in 3 races. The McLaren looks like it would be a great car with a better engine. Ricciardo doing a great job there. Never thought Bottas would get up enough to make the podium, but I guess he did luck into it with Lewis's unlucky loose head restraints and Vettels stupidity :rolleyes: great recovery drive there regardless after the Finn-Finn contact (mostly Bottas this time I would say)

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

PostPosted by jase hutch » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Well predicted and nicely summed up Hoovie. I'm pleased Lance Stroll did well and has now possibly proven that it wasn't simply his fathers money that got him a drive in F1, just a shame he lost second place on the line.
Lewis had it in the bag again without that crazy head restraint issue, how can something that stupid happen these days ?
The incident between Seb and Lewis was just pure stupidity, the penalty was a joke, what was he thinking 'ramming ' into the side of another car ? Just a shame he didn't put them both out of the race then The points gap wouldn't have changed and maybe a bigger penalty given.....?
jase hutch
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.2. 3dr
Year: 2004
Trim Level: XT3
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ
Year: 2011
Trim: Auto

PostPosted by Uncle bob » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:59 am

great race as far as action goes but the safety cars were disappointing and took the edge off the excitement. Vettel seems to have management anger issues and they need to be address before he does something drastic ! Yesterday the punishment didn't fit the crime and he should have been black flagged.
He's Now on 9 points out of 12 before he gets a race ban....I guess he'll be banded by the end of the year !
Telemetry showed Lewis just back off the throttle a little as he is allowed and Vettel just saw the red mist due to is desperation to get racing again, thinks is blown any friendship out of the water for the rest of the season.....if not for good :rolleyes:
Past Rav4's owned......
1996 import 3 door RAV4 J type.
2004 XT3 3 door.
RAV4 DRIVERS CLUB. The number one choice for UK Rav4 owners.
My big jobs thread....post15823.html#p15823
Uncle bob
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Lexus
Year: 2003
Trim Level: SC430
Other Vehicle: Toyota Aygo
Year: 2006
Trim: Sport

PostPosted by Hoovie » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:54 am

I understand the points are on a rolling 12 month basis and some will be dropping off in the next few weeks?
I wonder how many points you would get for deliberately ramming a car on the road? More than 3 I bet :N

A precedent has now been set and it would seem a driver can ram another off the road and suffer around 30 seconds actual race penalty. Michael Schumacher had a lot bigger penalty then that when he rammed Jacque Villnuerve (sp :( ) with his points for the entire season being removed.
Should a penalty be imposed based on what impact it has on a racing season? Impact on the viewers?
Will we see F1 cars fitted with bullbars? Maybe wheel spikes like in Ben Hur? Could have the top cars ramming each other off and then using their speed advantage to negate the 30 second delay each time :driving

Hoovie
Admin
Admin

PostPosted by Uncle bob » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:14 am

It's the most deliberate act I've seen in many years of viewing ....yet to my mine as not been sufficiently punished ...... maybe a trip to spec savers is required for the FIA team !.......although they seem to spot the debris on the track quick enough :rolleyes:
Past Rav4's owned......
1996 import 3 door RAV4 J type.
2004 XT3 3 door.
RAV4 DRIVERS CLUB. The number one choice for UK Rav4 owners.
My big jobs thread....post15823.html#p15823
Uncle bob
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Lexus
Year: 2003
Trim Level: SC430
Other Vehicle: Toyota Aygo
Year: 2006
Trim: Sport

PostPosted by Phaeton » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:15 pm

I can understand his frustration maybe in himself (Vettel) as much as what Hamilton did/did not do, but to come along side & deliberately then ram Lewis, sorry no that is not acceptable, even IF Lewis had brake tested him. There needs to be a far bigger punishment for that, in some ways he should have been black flagged there & then, but I'm sure they want to look at telemetry, but a 10 place grid drop or full race ban is in order.

Hamilton was unfortunate with the cockpit surround, he deserved the win. Initially I was a little disappointed in his performance after the stop though I thought he would have been able to get past the Ferrari, but he couldn't get out of the last section quick enough to catch it on the straight. Also if you look at LAP TIMES then filter everybody out but the top 5 & look at the last 8 laps Hamilton, Vettel & Bottas were going quicker & quicker towards the flag. Good race, maybe all circuits ought to have walls to stop them crossing the white lines!
Phaeton
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Formula 1 - 2017 Season