Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Race 7 - Canada - Fri 09 – Sun 11 Jun 2017

Discussion on F1 in 2017. Races Reports, Preamble, News and Scandals. Post here!
(not into F1? No problem. Just walk past, nothing to see here)

Re: Race 7 - Canada - Fri 09 – Sun 11 Jun 2017

PostPosted by Hoovie » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:59 am

Phaeton wrote:It was a good race but oh the ego's of an F1 driver, IF Perez had been ordered/forced to move over I wonder how different the result would have been, but kudos to Vettel for turn 1 (all deliberately vague in case it's a spoiler)

On Sky commentary, much was eluded about something in a contract which may prevent the team making a direct order to him rather than just a 'strong suggestion'? No idea if that was the case or not, but also said was Perez is on the radar of bigger teams next year which is likely very true. But the big teams also want a driver that is a team player, so his actions on balance did him more harm then good IMO compared to if he drove the team game and ended lower in the results personally.

Of course when we had the forum discussion about who takes Rosberg's seat, I was bigging up Ocan for the role and yesterday showed why :s_cool Great prospect for the future there :Y
It would have been an even better race if a certain driver didn't have car problems so early on. Very unlucky for him and maybe a lucky break for his teammate ;)
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by Phaeton » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:44 am

Hoovie wrote:On Sky commentary, much was eluded about something in a contract which may prevent the team making a direct order to him rather than just a 'strong suggestion'?

I think that was just Martin trying to be polite & justify why he wouldn't/didn't do it

Hoovie wrote:But the big teams also want a driver that is a team player

But we have also seen Hamilton do exactly what he did, the Red Bull team seem to have it sorted, somebody screams on the radio (read Max) he then gets an agreed amount of laps or drops back, I think that's fair, but then I'm not competitive, I just think Force India missed out on a podium because of his selfish attitude.

Hoovie wrote:Of course when we had the forum discussion about who takes Rosberg's seat, I was bigging up Ocan for the role and yesterday showed why :s_cool Great prospect for the future there :Y

Never really been on my radar, he's had a lack lustre start, but that was a very good drive yesterday, maybe it's coming together, or the Force India team got their act together better giving him a better chance.
Phaeton
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.3
Year: 2007
Trim Level: XT5
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Auris, Funbuggy

PostPosted by Hoovie » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:27 pm

When you are at the top of the tree, you can usually afford to play less of the team game, which is why Lewis is less inclined to listen to team orders, and so is Seb Vettel (eg "Multi21" which was out of order on his part, but no matter how dominant the car was and maybe flattered the driver, Webber was still rarely close to him, which is why he (Seb) got away with it).
Alsonso is a good example of a Top Driver who is not that popular with the bosses as he just doesn't do team orders, full stop. Perez is a good driver but not at those drivers levels, at least yet, and until he is, he has to play the team game a lot more, and failing to do so will hurt his future career prospects.

Take Ferarri ... Schmacher clearly benefited from Team Orders, and the most memorable one probably being Austria in 200 and something (2002?) , where Rubens slowed down for him just before the chequered flag to maximise the points haul for MS even though he had a massive lead already.
Was it neccessary? in hindsight not at all, but Ferrari always want to win the Drivers championship and maybe they were thinking back to 1999 when Schumacher broke his leg and by the time he came back he had no chance of fighting for the title (and played the team player helping Irvine contest it instead, as it happens). An accident like that could happen at any time in the season so it might make sense to try and win the WDC as quickly as possible just in case (of course, the flip side against that it is is putting your eggs in one basket, but most teams do tend to do that with a primary driver and a less experienced one anyway). Having two #1s/Equals rarely works out well historically though

Ocans has had some unfortunate car/strategy calls which has not helped him, plus some rookie mistakes as well, but he is bringing it together nicely. Right now he is not as complete as Bottas, but overall I think he will a better racer by the time he has got close to the number of races Bottas as done.
For Mercedes, if they wanted a reliable stop-gap for 1 year to then go for Alsonso(?!) or Vettel, then Bottas was right. If they wanted someone to join the team and grow and develop inside it, Ocan would have been better (and better then Wehrlein as well for sure)
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

Previous

Return to Formula 1 - 2017 Season