Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Race 14 - Singapore - Fri 15 – Sun 17 Sep 2017

Discussion on F1 in 2017. Races Reports, Preamble, News and Scandals. Post here!
(not into F1? No problem. Just walk past, nothing to see here)

Re: Race 14 - Singapore - Fri 15 – Sun 17 Sep 2017

PostPosted by Hoovie » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:22 am

Phaeton wrote:Well I found that very boring, apart from the debacle of the first 10 seconds, 100% Vettel's fault, but again using the Red rulebook nothing will happen to him. Very disappointed in both Ricciardo & Bottas they didn't even try to take the fight forward, Hamilton just showed them he is in a class of his own. Further down the field was a bit better, but they need to revise 'something' either the tracks are wrong or the technical specs are wrong, where were the overtaking chances, Shame about Alonso, amazing start but usual Alonso stirring it up by saying he could have challenged for the win ROFL

You don't buy the Horner line that Ricciardo had a gearbox issue and was lucky to maintain 2nd?
I am doubtful myself as if that was the case, Bottas would have surely been able to challenge for second place? But I am seeing nothing from Bottas to make me change my mind about him being another competent journeyman driver, like Rosberg (and Rosberg Snr for that matter), who lucked into a top car.
It would have been good to see what Alsonso could have done in the McLaren-Donkey. with engine power being least important at Singapore and if the actual chassis is as good as claimed (which I think IS likely), he could have maybe got on the podium (assuming nothing broke down of course) - I was amazed how long he went on for after that massive whack in the side!
A phrase that I don't think I ever heard during the commentry was "DRS". I am not sure if DRS is disabled in the wet, but no mention ever (unless I missed it?) about cars getting to within a minute gap to use it or even just it not being available. So maybe no DRS and that will have affected race overtakes.
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by Phaeton » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:47 am

There was 2x DRS zones according to https://www.formula1.com/en/championshi ... apore.html don't think it was suspended, but it could be that it had little or no effect as the cars were running so slowly the difference in effect was likely to be marginal.

As to Bottas I'm growing more disillusioned with him, okay he'll not be allowed to challenge Hamilton but he should be keeping him honest, I would have thought the team would have wanted to get those extra 3 points & have their drivers on steps 1 & 2 rather than 1 & 3, even if for only sponsorship bragging rights.

With Ricciardo I think they realised they would never get past Hamilton IF they could catch him in the first place & as long as Bottas didn't come at him, let's drive as slow as we can & save the engine for next time out.

I was amazed how strong the Mclaren chassis is/was, it flew through the air, landed, spun & still was able to continue for another 8 laps.
Phaeton
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.3
Year: 2007
Trim Level: XT5
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Auris, Funbuggy

PostPosted by Uncle bob » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:07 pm

Lots of chat on social media about Vettel ...seems if you're a red hat wearer it was all max's fault yet others have said the move was Suicidal for the weather conditions, think they need to outlaw that move in total or at least in wet conditions.
Past Rav4's owned......
1996 import 3 door RAV4 J type.
2004 XT3 3 door.
RAV4 DRIVERS CLUB. The number one choice for UK Rav4 owners.
My big jobs thread....post15823.html#p15823
Uncle bob
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Lexus
Year: 2003
Trim Level: SC430
Other Vehicle: Toyota Aygo
Year: 2006
Trim: Sport

PostPosted by philip42h » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:42 pm

Uncle bob wrote:Lots of chat on social media about Vettel ...seems if you're a red hat wearer it was all max's fault yet others have said the move was Suicidal for the weather conditions, think they need to outlaw that move in total or at least in wet conditions.

It seems pretty obvious that Vettel's blocking move was the cause of the accident and the FIA have deemed that 'allowable' under the current rules. And it seems a shame that they didn't also acknowledge that, on this occasion, Verstappen was wholly blameless - there was absolutely nothing that he did or could have done to avoid the unfolding accident. Maybe, Raikkonen was too gung-ho with his fast start and attempt to overtake but it is a motor-race after all.

So, Vettel made a single move to block an overtake which is allowable under the current rules and reasonable during a race. Maybe they should simply disallow deliberate 'blocking' during the first lap or two while the race proper gets underway?
Philip
philip42h
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.4 Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Icon

PostPosted by Hoovie » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:59 pm

Phaeton wrote:There was 2x DRS zones according to https://www.formula1.com/en/championshi ... apore.html don't think it was suspended, but it could be that it had little or no effect as the cars were running so slowly the difference in effect was likely to be marginal.

As to Bottas I'm growing more disillusioned with him, okay he'll not be allowed to challenge Hamilton but he should be keeping him honest, I would have thought the team would have wanted to get those extra 3 points & have their drivers on steps 1 & 2 rather than 1 & 3, even if for only sponsorship bragging rights.

With Ricciardo I think they realised they would never get past Hamilton IF they could catch him in the first place & as long as Bottas didn't come at him, let's drive as slow as we can & save the engine for next time out.

I was amazed how strong the Mclaren chassis is/was, it flew through the air, landed, spun & still was able to continue for another 8 laps.

The very first post on all these F1 threads show the circuit layout and the DRS areas :s_thumbsup
Previous races they have had an bearing, but maybe not so much in the rain?

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

PostPosted by Aleman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:09 pm

DRS is disabled in the wet ;)
2007 Rav4 2.2 D4-D XTR The on board computer has been reporting 45mpg round town and country roads
Mods fitted Retro fit Cruise Control, Dual Electric detachable tow bar. Rear View Camera, Sony XNV-L66BT. TPMS. New Boot Lights. LED Interior Lights
RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 owners forum in the UK!
Aleman
'100 Club' Member
'100 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 D4-D (4.3.0)
Year: 2007
Trim Level: XT-R
Fuel Type: vPower Diesel

PostPosted by jase hutch » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Accompanied my brother on a visit to the 'Williams' factory today, very impressive.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jase hutch
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.2. 3dr
Year: 2004
Trim Level: XT3
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ
Year: 2011
Trim: Auto

PostPosted by Davrav » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:34 pm

I thought Williams were sorted driver wise Jase :s_scratchhead
RAV4 Drivers Club - For all things RAV4 and much, much more!
Davrav
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 4.3
Year: 2008
Trim Level: XTR+
Other Vehicle: Mitsubishi ASX

PostPosted by jase hutch » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:05 pm

I wish, I'm way too old for that... :)
jase hutch
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.2. 3dr
Year: 2004
Trim Level: XT3
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ
Year: 2011

PostPosted by Hoovie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:03 pm

jase hutch wrote:Accompanied my brother on a visit to the 'Williams' factory today, very impressive.....

It is a very impressive facility indeed :Y
Although when I went to Gove a few years back they had some state of the art buckets carefully placed to collect the rain water pouring through the roof :shok:

Hoovie
Admin
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Formula 1 - 2017 Season