Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Race 1 - Australia - Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

Discussion on F1 in 2017. Races Reports, Preamble, News and Scandals. Post here!
(not into F1? No problem. Just walk past, nothing to see here)

Re: Race 1 - Australia - Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:26 pm

I enjoyed qualifying today - I watched on Ch4. Unfortunately I knew the result beforehand but it was still good to watch and is looking good for the forthcoming year. I just need to avoid finding out the result tomorrow before I watch on tv!
RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 forum in the UK!

Previous owner of LC3, RAV 4.3 2.2 diesel and 4.3 XT4 2.0 petrol, and many other Toyotas!

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Honda CRV Auto
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SE+
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: Honda Jazz CVT
Trim: EX

PostPosted by Phaeton » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:25 pm

To me Bottas was told to slow down, to me it's too early in the season, if & it is a big if he could get past he should have been allowed to.
Phaeton
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.3
Year: 2007
Trim Level: XT5
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Auris, Funbuggy

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:08 pm

I read that when it was clear Hamilton would not be able to challenge Vettel, he was told to turn his Engine down to help its longevity, which makes a lot of sense. I would think Bottas was told similar for the same reason and if he did otherwise (which is unlikely), Hamilton could have responded by going faster as well. Would have gained the team nothing and potentially cost them later on.

Could be an interesting season as for the last few years, Mercedes have not had much experience in following other cars so their design might well hurt them them this year as maybe not factored that in as well as the other teams :s_scratchhead
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by Phaeton » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:37 pm

It's wrong they should be allowed to race till the end, I also like the idea of a point for the fastest lap, keep them pushing on.
Phaeton
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:50 pm

Famous Phrase that was coined in Racing - and I think F1? - maybe 60+ years ago ..... [this is not a direct quote as I cannot remember it, but the gist is] "The aim is to win the race as slowly as possible" i.e. the faster you go the more you risk mechanical failure or accidents and so risk the win. This 'rule' has been used for ever for that reason and will never change.

Used to be a point for fastest lap in previous scoring schemes.
It has merit, but if in place I would restrict it to an extra point for a driver that ALSO finished in the points, otherwise it would be easy to 'fix' it by all the drivers at the back end coming in for the fastest tyres right at the end when cars are lightest and would be artificial. Turns a 90 minute race into a 90 second drag race for the 2nd string :N

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

PostPosted by Phaeton » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:35 am

Hoovie wrote:Famous Phrase that was coined in Racing - and I think F1? - maybe 60+ years ago ..... [this is not a direct quote as I cannot remember it, but the gist is] "The aim is to win the race as slowly as possible" i.e. the faster you go the more you risk mechanical failure or accidents and so risk the win. This 'rule' has been used for ever for that reason and will never change.

That's the view of a team owner/engineer not a racer, I was bored in the race, almost switched it off, Hamilton was being a petulant child, Bottas drove a far better race if it hadn't been about sponsorship money he'd have been allowed to overtake (if he could) but he would not of caught Vettel.
Hoovie wrote:Used to be a point for fastest lap in previous scoring schemes.
It has merit, but if in place I would restrict it to an extra point for a driver that ALSO finished in the points, otherwise it would be easy to 'fix' it by all the drivers at the back end coming in for the fastest tyres right at the end when cars are lightest and would be artificial. Turns a 90 minute race into a 90 second drag race for the 2nd string :N

That's got to be better than watching paint dry after Vettel got in front, HOPEFULLY it was the nature of the track, it's too narrow & the corners are too sharp, but I'm not holding my breath.
Phaeton
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by Hoovie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:07 pm

That was actually a quote from one of the most respected and fastest racers I believe. ;) (I'll look up the info and post it).

There is no way Bottas would have caught AND overtaken Hamilton in the race. Not a hope in hell in identical cars.

Hoovie
Admin
Admin

PostPosted by Hoovie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:11 pm

From clivejames.com (who used to be a F1 Commentator and Reporter) ....
"
"The secret”, said Niki Lauda, “is to win going as slowly as possible”. This remark is sometimes attributed to another and even greater racing driver, Juan Manuel Fangio. Perhaps Niki Lauda was quoting it without acknowledgment. Anyway, I actually heard Lauda say this, at a pre-race press conference in Portugal in 1984, the year he came back from the burns unit all the way to his second World Championship"

"Fangio, Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart, three of the all-time great champion drivers (Clark might have won more races than the other two put together if he had not been killed in an accident that wasn’t his fault), were all kind to the car."

http://www.clivejames.com/articles/clive/lauda

Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Previous

Return to Formula 1 - 2017 Season