Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

4.2 Brakes...

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

4.2 Brakes...

PostPosted by jase hutch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:57 pm

My Rav had been parked up for several weeks as I didn't need to use it with all the crap on the roads.
Anyway, last Friday night I needed it and when I moved it off the driveway I had the usual surface rust that usually clears after several applications of the brakes, however this time it wouldn't clear and turned into an unbearable rotational thud every time the pedal was pressed......seemingly coming from the front nearside.
I've ordered up a set of Pagid discs, pads and a set of new clips along with a tube of Ceratec grease, so that's Saturday morning sorted, weather permitted
:s_bye
jase hutch
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.2. 3dr
Year: 2004
Trim Level: XT3
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ
Year: 2011
Trim: Auto
Fuel Type: Petrol

Re: 4.2 Brakes...

PostPosted by Uncle bob » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:34 pm

jase hutch wrote:My Rav had been parked up for several weeks as I didn't need to use it with all the crap on the roads.
Anyway, last Friday night I needed it and when I moved it off the driveway I had the usual surface rust that usually clears after several applications of the brakes, however this time it wouldn't clear and turned into an unbearable rotational thud every time the pedal was pressed......seemingly coming from the front nearside.
I've ordered up a set of Pagid discs, pads and a set of new clips along with a tube of Ceratec grease, so that's Saturday morning sorted, weather permitted

Well a nice set of quality new front brakes can only be a good thing Jase ....with the Pagid discs DONT remove the silver coating ....its self cleaning on the first roadtest :s_thumbsup
Past Rav4's owned......
1996 import 3 door RAV4 J type.
2004 XT3 3 door.
RAV4 DRIVERS CLUB. The number one choice for UK Rav4 owners.
My big jobs thread....post15823.html#p15823
Uncle bob
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Lexus
Year: 2003
Trim Level: SC430
Other Vehicle: Toyota Aygo
Year: 2006
Trim: Sport

PostPosted by Big Kev » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:38 pm

Post up phoateez of the ginger nut biscuits that will come aff yer car, Jase......outside face always SEEMS ok......inner faces are in a hostile place. There are stonking slider pin/bolt kits on ebay that I have bought before.
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SR Auto
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

PostPosted by jase hutch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:54 pm

Uncle bob wrote:
jase hutch wrote:My Rav had been parked up for several weeks as I didn't need to use it with all the crap on the roads.

Well a nice set of quality new front brakes can only be a good thing Jase ....with the Pagid discs DONT remove the silver coating ....its self cleaning on the first roadtest :s_thumbsup

Do I wipe them over with white spirit..?
jase hutch
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by jase hutch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:55 pm

Kev, are new slider pins usually needed..?
If so I'll try to get a set beforehand.. :s_howdy
jase hutch
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by anchorman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:05 am

jase hutch wrote:
Uncle bob wrote:

Do I wipe them over with white spirit..?

Only if you get them grubby Jase.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by anchorman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:08 am

jase hutch wrote:Kev, are new slider pins usually needed..?

I personally wouldn’t bother unless I found a fault with them or the rubber boots - you can always pop a new set in quite quickly after. Use Ceratec grease for the pads and the pins - it won’t harm rubber parts.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by jase hutch » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:48 am

anchorman wrote:

I personally wouldn’t bother unless I found a fault with them or the rubber boots - you can always pop a new set in quite quickly after. Use Ceratec grease for the pads and the pins - it won’t harm rubber parts.

Cheers Don... :s_thumbsup
jase hutch
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by Big Kev » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 am

jase hutch wrote:
anchorman wrote:

Cheers Don... :s_thumbsup

Ah suggested new wans, Jase, only to save ye having to clean the existing wans to Don's standards, which meand ye can lick them prior to refitmenting....... :P
My Pagid front discs in aboot a year now, and the painted finish in the vent fins still looks branny new.....great bits Pagid.
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SR Auto
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.