Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Air hose?

Got a Hobby or Interest you would like to share with the group? Tell us about it here. Also sports such as F1 in 2017

Air hose?

PostPosted by Paulus17 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:38 pm

Not sure if this is in the right place or not so please move as necessary.
Mrs P bought me a compressor a few years ago same as THIS mainly for my woodturning and to be honest i have hardley used it until recently and have found the hose on it is very stiff,doesn't straighten at all and is not very good to use.
So can anyone recommend a hose i can replace it with summat thats more flexible??
Paulus17
Club Master
Club Master

Re: Air hose?

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:56 pm

Paulus17 wrote:Not sure if this is in the right place or not so please move as necessary.
Mrs P bought me a compressor a few years ago same as THIS mainly for my woodturning and to be honest i have hardley used it until recently and have found the hose on it is very stiff,doesn't straighten at all and is not very good to use.
So can anyone recommend a hose i can replace it with summat thats more flexible??

Paul, can you tell me what connectors the compressor you have uses? Usefully there are 3 common styles - have a look at this page and see if you can tell which one you have.... http://www.glosterairparts.co.uk/AirToolConnectors.htm

I am wondering if the hose is very stiff as it is cold? bring it into the house and see if that makes a difference :s_smile

What kind of hose are you after? Plain straight one or coiled type. Also what length?

Depending on the answers, I may well have a spare hose you could use, or one that I use which I could recommend to you :s_yes

PS. If you have not used this compressor for quite a while, open up the drain at the bottom (once you've dropped the pressure) to empty out the water that will have collected as that will not be good for any air-powered tools (rust!)
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by Paulus17 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:20 pm

Thanks David :s_thumbsup
Can you tell from the link i put up David what the conections are if not i will take some piccys and put em up.
The hose is always stiff david in all weathers hot or cold as i did use it on the Rav when we had that slow puncture.
I would like it longer if that ok as i would like to keep the compressor out the garage and in the shed,but i thought the longer the hose the more pressure you lose???
I used to do spraying at work and used a rubber hose that i could just fold up like a rope which is what i would be after,depending how expensive it is of course?

p.s-Thank you David for the reminder about the drain plug at the bottom.I do usually drain off but did forget this time round so there has been in there for a few weeks??
Last edited by Paulus17 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulus17
Club Master
Club Master

PostPosted by Paulus17 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:51 pm

Sorry David i couldn't tell from your link which was which so here is a piccy of what i have if it helps??

Last edited by Paulus17 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paulus17
Club Master
Club Master

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:56 pm

from the link of the wolf compressor you posted (i didn't want to just assume everything was identical), the fittings look to me as what *I* know as full-flow (like connector #3 in my link) -
This is what I think you have (and is what my kit is)
Devilbiss_Gun_Close.jpg

Looking at pic you just posted, it is same as mine so Full-Flow :s_yes

connector #1 in my link is clearly different, but there is another connector that looks like the full-flow but isn't - and no one seems to ever tell you what is fitted to the stuff they sell (I think because they don't know!)

Rubber Hose would be the best in terms of quality , but is fairly heavy to hump around - but good to allow you to route the air from compressor in different location. You could then plug that into a regualtor and then have a shorter lightweight 'whip' hose into your tool? My 'good' 15M reel hose was Braided PVC which has good protection and never kinked, but was lighter then rubber (made by Redashe but not cheap :s_sad )
redashe_hose.jpg

Long = loss of pressure? well, I guess you might lose something with constriction of the hose, but I used to use a 15M hose with a 3HP compressor and never had any problem with insufficient pressure (key is to have full-flow connectors - the typical UK ones are more restrictive) - But I used to have the hose at full pressure and turn down the spraygun at the end, or use a tool at higher pressure.

I would expect that 2.5HP Compressor would more then be able to drive the tools you need - with a regulator(& water trap) near top your work area being handy to set at the pressure you need.

I had this setup from the compressor setup - air at full pressure coming in at left, water traps first, then 3 regs to set the pressures for different feeds for specific purposes (Bead Breaker - high pressure, DA Sander - high pressure, Sprayguns -lower pressure, reel hose - full pressure)
Master_Regs_cropped.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

PostPosted by Paulus17 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:20 pm

Thanks David :s_thumbsup
The compressor was origionaly bought just to blow out shavings on my hollow forms i was doing at the time but due to my dad taking a turn for the worse back then it hasn't really been used,apart from checking tyre pressures,oh and i did blast the computer out with it once as the dust was so bad inside it :shok:
So this is a standard size fitting David and doesn't come in varying sizes??
I don't wanna pay out too much on a hose just in case it doesn't get used again as i am not doing hollow forms so much now in my turnings so what would be recommended??
Paulus17
Club Master
Club Master

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Watch out with the computer! you could dislodge components with a compressor! I use my Airbrush and little compressor for that (and it is also very good for airdrying Swarovski Crystal after cleaning them :s_thumbsup )

how about this one?
As Schwabe 12702 Compressed Air Hose PVC 5 m Long / 6 x 3 mm with NW 7.2 Quick-Release Fastener - not going to be amazing quality at that price, but you could use it as an extension to the existing one, so that will give you extended length to relocate compressor (there is a 10M one for £15 as well) and should be more flexible (I have one that looks very similar which came with a compressor like yours I got from LIDL and that works nicely)

Hoovie
Admin
Admin

PostPosted by Paulus17 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:21 pm

That looks similar to whats on there now David and is how it came with the comp and is still keeping the coils in it,or is that a better quality pvc thats more flexible??
Paulus17
Club Master
Club Master

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:58 pm

this one:

depends how much you want to spend really?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tricoflex-Super ... d+air+hose

Hoovie
Admin
Admin

PostPosted by Paulus17 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:50 pm

Is THIS one suitable David?
I notice they have various different inside sizes,will this matter?
Paulus17
Club Master
Club Master

Next

Return to Sports, Hobbies & Past Times