Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Air hose?

Got a Hobby or Interest you would like to share with the group? Tell us about it here. Also sports such as F1 in 2017

Re: Air hose?

PostPosted by Hoovie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:15 pm

Would the bore selected determine the CFM delivered! Same as with water pipes, too narrow a bore will restrict the volume delivered?
Not sure what is on the end of your airhose in terms of kit, bit I'm assuming some kind of sanding device? They usually need a fair airflow . I used to have a setup with a pair of balanced 60L air tanks and the compressor would kick in within a couple of minutes of using a DA Sander due to the pressure dropping below the threshold.
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by dave.m » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:30 pm

Hoovie wrote:Would the bore selected determine the CFM delivered! Same as with water pipes, too narrow a bore will restrict the volume delivered?
Not sure what is on the end of your airhose in terms of kit, bit I'm assuming some kind of sanding device? They usually need a fair airflow . I used to have a setup with a pair of balanced 60L air tanks and the compressor would kick in within a couple of minutes of using a DA Sander due to the pressure dropping below the threshold.

I think Paul said he was using the air to blow cuttings etc out of his product so probably would not matter much.
dave.m
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 no 4
Fuel Type: Hybrid

PostPosted by Paulus17 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:52 pm

Yes it was originally bought for my woodturning as Dave says to blow the dust chips out of hollow forms,which i could have used actually yesterday as i did do an hollow form. :s_yes
The tank does seem to empty pretty quick,so as nice as it would be to use other air tools i don't think this one is suitable to do so,unless i had it filling up all the time and with the racket it makes i don't think the neighbours would be too happy :shok:
Paulus17
Club Master
Club Master

PostPosted by Hoovie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:09 pm

You could make a box with insulation to put around the compressor? As long as you had the cooling air intakes free and any exhausts open, that would be ok, especially if it only kicks in occasionally, so no worries about it overheating.

My LIDL (Parklife?) Compressor looked very similar to your wolf one and I did find it was very noisy and I usually used the one mounted in the van and pulled a long hose through to the workshop. Need to get another compressor but don't want a noisy one again :shok:

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

PostPosted by Paulus17 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:21 am

David i was gonna enclose it as you suggest as it is that noisey when building pressure back up,but was told not to for reasons i can't remember now,even the small comp i have makes enough racket when filling up :s_omg
Paulus17
Club Master
Club Master

PostPosted by dave.m » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:43 am

The piston type compressors are very noisy, we use the screw type but these are big industrial machines. Cant see screw type compressors
ever being cheap enough for diy use but they are a lot quieter. :s_yes
dave.m
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by Hoovie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:58 am

Apparently the cheaper 'silent' compressors (silence being relative :rolleyes: ) are standard semi-pro compressors like that wolf one within an enclosure. If the duty cycle is something like 5% or less (cannot imagine for your use the compressor is actually running for more then 5 minutes at a time?) then I can't imagine it would hurt to enclose it and there would be minimal heat build up.
For MY own usage, I thought of it, but my bigger compressor would be running something like 2 hours a day of a working day and in relatively free air use to get pretty warm, so a lower-powered one with much smaller air tank doing the same work would be running much more I would imagine.

If the usage is just to blow wood shavings, then maybe the compressors you have are overkill and you could get along perfectly well with a compressor used for an airbrush?

I have something like this and as I mentioned, apart from airbrushing, ideal for blowing dust out of PCs, keyboards and ornaments. very quiet compared to a big compressor (I can only just hear it in another room and when it is running, can still hear the radio perfectly well.

Hoovie
Admin
Admin

PostPosted by Paulus17 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:04 pm

The idea back then was to use it for more things as i was trying out the more arty type work and was thinking of using it for painting,sawing,sanding etc but as i say the tank seemed to empty pretty quick when i did use it.To blow out shavings it probably would las ta while but continuos use it would be far to noisey for home use.
I did try my little nailer comp back then to blow out shavings but didn't have enough in the tank to do one blow out before it kicked in to fill up again.
Once i get it settled in its final resting place i might try the insulated box cover but make it big enough all round for air to still circulate round,but as you say i might not use it for long periods just short little blasts??
By the way my mate said he might have some old air hose i could have so am waiting to hear back off him.fingers crossed :s_thumbsup
Paulus17
Club Master
Club Master

PostPosted by Paulus17 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:19 pm

Well my mate got me the new hose,similar to what i have now but a lot more supple/flexible,he is also going to get me some better fittings??
Paulus17
Club Master
Club Master

PostPosted by dave.m » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:39 pm

Result :s_thumbsup plus, free stuff is always better :rolleyes:
dave.m
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PreviousNext