Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

How Many (Cars) Left?

We don't just talk Toyota in the RAV4 Drivers Club, but everything and anything besides! To see all the forums, you will need to Register (it's FREE!). Read the Welcome Post here to learn more :)

How Many (Cars) Left?

PostPosted by Hoovie » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:31 pm

Uncle Bob posted a link to How Many Left?, an interesting website telling you how many of a particular model are left on the road (or SORNed).

I put in a check for the Montego (had about 4 of those as Company Cars between 1985 and 1990) and it is amazing 1) how few left on the road considering not really that old and 2) how the numbers plummet year by year!
And my first company car, the splendiferous Austin Ambassador 1.7L .... 3 left on the road :s_omg (amazed it is that high considering reliability I got from mine!)

What fondly (or otherwise) cars from your past have virtually (or actually!) disappeared from Britain's Roads?
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

Re: How Many (Cars) Left?

PostPosted by Torque » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:59 pm

Ha, great to see nearly all the Austin Maestro's are gone, I had one as a company car (I was given it, I didn't have a choice) 26 or so years ago and it was hideous as new.

One of my favourite cars owned was a sunbeam lotus and I can't believe how many are left with their penchant for being crashed, it was virtually undriveable in the wet.

I also thoroughly enjoyed my first Volvo, a 340DL auto (the old DAF 33 I think it was), built like a tank with the variomatic transmission inherited from DAF - I loved it, there's not many left now though :s_sad on the Volvo theme I had an ex-police 850 T5R auto which was superb but not many of them left either.
Take only photographs, leave only footprints. Respect your countryside.

RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 forum in the UK!
Torque
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: None atm
Other Vehicle: Skoda Octavia
Year: 2011
Trim: vRS
Fuel Type: Diesel

PostPosted by dave.m » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:09 pm

dave.m
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 no 4
Fuel Type: Hybrid

PostPosted by Davrav » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:10 pm

Volvo 360GLT. Built like a tank, 100% reliable and went like wotsit off a shovel. All round, probably the best car I've owned.
RAV4 Drivers Club - For all things RAV4 and much, much more!
Davrav
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 4.3
Year: 2008
Trim Level: XTR+
Other Vehicle: Mitsubishi ASX
Trim: Auto

PostPosted by Denshaw » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:23 pm

Davrav wrote:Volvo 360GLT. Built like a tank, 100% reliable and went like wotsit off a shovel. All round, probably the best car I've owned.

Mum had one when I was 19 ! Wolf in sheeps clothing...Rear transaxle gave quite good road holding but body roll could be unnerving.
Denshaw
Club Master
Club Master

PostPosted by Hoovie » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:30 pm

I kind of learned to drive in one of those :)
My dad had two cars ... Hilman Avenger with no Exhaust system, and a Renault 21 (or maybe 18) with no reverse, 1st or 2rd gear
Neither had MOTs, neither had Insurance or Tax either, and this was in UK but ..... they were TOTALLY Legal to drive on the public roads :s_thumbsup
How Come?
Lived on Rathlin Island in Northern Island, where cars were exempt, so everyones car on the island was a MOT Failure from the mainland :s_tongue

I was in Edinburgh today taking my DS4 in for software update and saw a Citroen BX (16TGE I think?) on the way. I was just thinking haven't seen one for ages. time to check how unique it was :s_cool
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by uncle_p » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:38 pm

Not many of my first car around these days.. Just 90 Nissan Cherry's on the road today!
uncle_p
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.4
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Invincible
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diseasal

PostPosted by dave.m » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:53 pm

Hoovie wrote:

I kind of learned to drive in one of those :)
My dad had two cars ... Hilman Avenger with no Exhaust system, and a Renault 21 (or maybe 18) with no reverse, 1st or 2rd gear
Neither had MOTs, neither had Insurance or Tax either, and this was in UK but ..... they were TOTALLY Legal to drive on the public roads :s_thumbsup
How Come?
Lived on Rathlin Island in Northern Island, where cars were exempt, so everyones car on the island was a MOT Failure from the mainland :s_tongue

I was in Edinburgh today taking my DS4 in for software update and saw a Citroen BX (16TGE I think?) on the way. I was just thinking haven't seen one for ages. time to check how unique it was :s_cool

:s_laughat Is that not the island of Father Ted ? My mates old man had a small haulage company, I learned to drive in SWB Land Rover and
an Albion 6 wheeler :s_yes
dave.m
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 no 4
Fuel Type: Hybrid

PostPosted by Voyager » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:14 pm

My last car which I p/xd for the T180 was a 2003 VW golf R32 Mk4 with 66k on the clock when it went.
I believe there were only 2500 originally registered in the UK,and of those I think there are around 1700 left now.
Mine went for £6700 and has since been sold on again for £7k,so they are at least holding their value.
Will definately be a collectors item for the future,but probably not in my lifetime, more of a weekend car so was just not practical for me anymore.
Maybe if I'd had somewhere to store it I would/should have kept it :s_dunno
Don't count the days..make the days count.
Carpe Diem...don't think just do.
Voyager
'500 Club' Member
'500 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: Rav 4.3
Year: 2006
Trim Level: T180
Other Vehicle: Range Rover evoque
Year: 2014
Trim: Dynamic

PostPosted by RAVAsher » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:38 pm

Torque wrote:Ha, great to see nearly all the Austin Maestro's are gone, I had one as a company car (I was given it, I didn't have a choice) 26 or so years ago and it was hideous as new.

One of my favourite cars owned was a sunbeam lotus and I can't believe how many are left with their penchant for being crashed, it was virtually undriveable in the wet.

I also thoroughly enjoyed my first Volvo, a 340DL auto (the old DAF 33 I think it was), built like a tank with the variomatic transmission inherited from DAF - I loved it, there's not many left now though :s_sad on the Volvo theme I had an ex-police 850 T5R auto which was superb but not many of them left either.

The maestro and montego are still made in China
Apparently. But its horrible the back end is a maestro and the front a montego. I thought it was a wind up but its true
One ugly duckling!!

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/cars/au ... ao-ca6410/
http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/cars/au ... ao-ca6410/
Formally knows as "Yaris781"
It's better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you are not!!

fully charged ready to go now. wireless charging can be recharged on the go without looking for a PowerPoint
RAVAsher
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.3
Year: 2006
Trim Level: T180
Other Vehicle: Rav 4
Year: 2002
Trim: 2.0 VVTi VX

Next