Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

How Many (Cars) Left?

We don't just talk Toyota in the RAV4 Drivers Club, but everything and anything besides! To see all the forums, you will need to Register (it's FREE!). Read the Welcome Post here to learn more :)

Re: How Many (Cars) Left?

PostPosted by Denshaw » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Despite production ceasing in 1999 there are still over 17k Toyota Starlets on the roads, that says something for Toyota build quality and reliability. :s_thumbsup
Denshaw
Club Master
Club Master

PostPosted by DjRav » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:09 pm

Torque wrote:Ha, great to see nearly all the Austin Maestro's are gone, I had one as a company car (I was given it, I didn't have a choice) 26 or so years ago and it was hideous as new.

One of my favourite cars owned was a sunbeam lotus and I can't believe how many are left with their penchant for being crashed, it was virtually undriveable in the wet.

I also thoroughly enjoyed my first Volvo, a 340DL auto (the old DAF 33 I think it was), built like a tank with the variomatic transmission inherited from DAF - I loved it, there's not many left now though :s_sad on the Volvo theme I had an ex-police 850 T5R auto which was superb but not many of them left either.

We used to have Austin Maestros as our works vans (late 80's!?) They were a bit "sloppy" on the road but did shift! (Last petrol van we ever used!)

Uncle P,
Ref the "Nissan Cherry"-
if you're old enough, surely it was a Datsun!

I had a Datsun 100a F2 (1978) 900 something cc it was!!
Dave

Daves are everywhere. Some say you're never more than 10 feet from a Dave.
DjRav
Club Master
Club Master

Primary Vehicle: Black 4.3
Year: 2007
Trim Level: XTR
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Landrover Discovery
Year: 2002

PostPosted by Hoovie » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:46 pm

Talking about weird combinations, anyone remember this effort? DR3 & DR5: Toyota RAV4 copycat made in China, assembled in Italy using Fiat engine!

Don't think they ever saw a showroom in the end?
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by GreyRacer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:53 pm

This Fiat 850 was my very first car back in 1969 and I see there are 59 still around.

David
Past RAV4 ownership
4.1 GX 16v Blue
4.1.5 GX 16v Green
4.3 XT-R 150 Mica black
4.4 Invincible Highland Green
GreyRacer
'500 Club' Member
'500 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: Mini Clubman
Year: 2016
Trim Level: Cooper S
Fuel Type: Pertol
Other Vehicle: Mazda MX-5
Year: 2008
Trim: NC

PostPosted by Bothwell_buyer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:55 pm

Started with a Morris 1000 van - basic but it worked well. Then a triumph Herald convertible which I ended up trying to weld together until the spine chassis snapped in 2. A Vauxhall Viva HB; Morris Marina Estate; a triumph GT6 which I sold to another guy cos it was so scary (little did I think then about a turbo RAV4!). A host of company cars ...
and we have a 1964 SWB landrover still waiting to get the engine either fixed or replaced.
Bothwell_buyer
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 3 door
Year: 1994
Fuel Type: Petrol turbo
Other Vehicle: Another RAV4
Year: 1994
Trim: 3 door
Fuel Type: Petrol turbo

PostPosted by Davrav » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:22 am

Hoovie wrote:Talking about weird combinations, anyone remember this effort? DR3 & DR5: Toyota RAV4 copycat made in China, assembled in Italy using Fiat engine!

Don't think they ever saw a showroom in the end?

Why in blazes are Toyota not producing something like that now?
RAV4 Drivers Club - For all things RAV4 and much, much more!
Davrav
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 4.3
Year: 2008
Trim Level: XTR+
Other Vehicle: Mitsubishi ASX
Year: 2017
Trim: Auto

PostPosted by Uncle bob » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:27 am

Hoovie wrote:Uncle Bob posted a link to How Many Left?, an interesting website telling you how many of a particular model are left on the road (or SORNed).

I put in a check for the Montego (had about 4 of those as Company Cars between 1985 and 1990) and it is amazing 1) how few left on the road considering not really that old and 2) how the numbers plummet year by year!
And my first company car, the splendiferous Austin Ambassador 1.7L .... 3 left on the road :s_omg (amazed it is that high considering reliability I got from mine!)

What fondly (or otherwise) cars from your past have virtually (or actually!) disappeared from Britain's Roads?

I worked for Austin Rover in the early 80's so allegro, princess ,maxi was all in a days work, I was at the launch of the maestro and montego ( code name LM10 &LM11 ), so ive seen them from launch to never seeing one left on the road, took less than 20 years....would never happen with a Toyota or Lexus :s_yes
Past Rav4's owned......
1996 import 3 door RAV4 J type.
2004 XT3 3 door.
RAV4 DRIVERS CLUB. The number one choice for UK Rav4 owners.
My big jobs thread....post15823.html#p15823
Uncle bob
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Lexus
Year: 2003
Trim Level: SC430
Other Vehicle: Toyota Aygo
Year: 2006
Trim: Sport

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:23 am

DjRav wrote:
Torque wrote:Ha, great to see nearly all the Austin Maestro's are gone, I had one as a company car (I was given it, I didn't have a choice) 26 or so years ago and it was hideous as new.

One of my favourite cars owned was a sunbeam lotus and I can't believe how many are left with their penchant for being crashed, it was virtually undriveable in the wet.

I also thoroughly enjoyed my first Volvo, a 340DL auto (the old DAF 33 I think it was), built like a tank with the variomatic transmission inherited from DAF - I loved it, there's not many left now though :s_sad on the Volvo theme I had an ex-police 850 T5R auto which was superb but not many of them left either.

We used to have Austin Maestros as our works vans (late 80's!?) They were a bit "sloppy" on the road but did shift! (Last petrol van we ever used!)

Uncle P,
Ref the "Nissan Cherry"-

My fourth car was a Datsun 120Y followed by a Datsun 140J Violet and I see only 3 remain on the road.
RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 forum in the UK!

Previous owner of LC3, RAV 4.3 2.2 diesel and 4.3 XT4 2.0 petrol, and many other Toyotas!

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Honda CRV Auto
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SE+
Other Vehicle: Honda Jazz CVT
Trim: EX

PostPosted by DjRav » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:35 am

DavidWilson wrote:
DjRav wrote:

Uncle P,
Ref the "Nissan Cherry"-

My fourth car was a Datsun 120Y followed by a Datsun 140J Violet and I see only 3 remain on the road.

Well, they were all rust buckets! My 100a literally fell apart in front of me, no matter how much gaffer tape I used to support various body panels!
Dave

Daves are everywhere. Some say you're never more than 10 feet from a Dave.
DjRav
Club Master
Club Master

Primary Vehicle: Black 4.3
Year: 2007
Trim Level: XTR
Other Vehicle: Landrover Discovery
Year: 2002

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:47 am

DjRav wrote:
DavidWilson wrote:
DjRav wrote:Uncle P,
Ref the "Nissan Cherry"-

Well, they were all rust buckets! My 100a literally fell apart in front of me, no matter how much gaffer tape I used to support various body panels!

How old were they when they rusted out? Mine were newish and no rust! Unlike my first car, a 1964 Mini, which rusted out by 1973.
RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 forum in the UK!

Previous owner of LC3, RAV 4.3 2.2 diesel and 4.3 XT4 2.0 petrol, and many other Toyotas!

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Honda CRV Auto
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SE+
Other Vehicle: Honda Jazz CVT
Trim: EX

PreviousNext